Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM

285 posts, read 836,243 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

firstly - I'd like to wish all of you a happy new year! Its been just over a year now since we relocated from London - doesnt time fly!

Anyway - I've been searching the boards for this query, but havent really found much of an answer, so here goes...........

I'm looking for suggestions for a weekend break around Valentines day. Flying is an option (as long as its a short flight), but driving would be much more preferred. We went to Washington, DC for 4th July last year, so we'd rather not go back again....

The best other options for flying was Miami (off to New York for business soon anyway), but the prices were unbelievable!

Driving wise, I've had a look at the Umstead in Cary and Biltmore hotel - both are well over $1000 for the weekend, so pretty pricey! If I was going to spend that sort of money, I think I'd rather venture a bit further afield

Anyway - does anyone have any suggestions? Being from the UK, I'd love to go somewhere that is on the list of "cool" places to visit whilst we're here, but suggestions from those "in the know" - i.e. you knowledgeable locals! - any advise or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,170 times
I'm interested too... we just moved here from Michigan and want to start taking weekend trips to explore the area

Old 01-08-2009, 09:47 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Two wonderful towns within driving distance are Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Both offer a wide range of accomodations with tons of B&B options. They have excellent dining and some really beautiful historic areas. Both towns are also a very short drive to the beach, so you can get out and walk on the sand if its nice weather!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM

54 posts, read 160,893 times
For a fun 2 hour Jaunt, I would suggest Downtown Wilmington someplace around the Cape Fear river. We had a suite at the Hilton and were about to walk to a pretty nice river boat ride, able to take a taxi over to see the USS North Carolina battleship memorial, and had access to a lot of cool little restaurants and shops. Asheville is also nice...you don't have to stay at the biltmore to still go and visit. We stayed at the CY Marriott on Tunnel Road and had fun going to Downtown Asheville and also up to Biltmore.

Lots of options in NC for the weekend...those are a few.

My wife and I also have taken Amtrak up to Washington for a long weekend, and also as far as Orlando.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,925 times
How about Atlanta? We were there last summer and my husband still tells everyone he meets about the amazing aquarium. It makes all other aquariums pale in comparision. You can get some kind of city pass and see the aquarium, CNN newsroom, Coca Cola tour, zoo and a couple of other places for a very reasonable price. Plus there is a lot of fine dining there.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM

415 posts, read 1,109,970 times
Don't give up on Biltmore just yet... You can spend a lovely weekend in Asheville and include the Biltmore estate in your itinerary. There are lots of wonderful B&Bs in Asheville that are (imo) nicer than the Biltmore hotel and cost far less.

While in Asheville you can take a drive up (or down) the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'm not sure how much of it might still be closed in mid-Feb, but you can check for closure points.

Downtown Asheville is cool and funky and makes for a wonderful morning/afternoon shopping excursion. In the evening you can have dinner at one of the great restaurants.

I lived in Savannah for a bit, many years ago. It is also a really cool place.

Jenny_B

Old 01-08-2009, 11:49 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,182 times
Of course there's the mountains (Asheville, Boone, Maggie Valley) and the ocean (Outer Banks, Wilmington, Oak Island, Kure Beach) right here in NC! There's several threads here on weekend trips so I don't want to repeat what's already been posted. One suggestion though, take a look at tripadvisor for reviews of accomodations. I've used them for several years now and it's been very reliable source.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:03 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
I second the suggestions of Asheville (~4 hour drive) and Charleston (~5 hours)

I'll add Charlottesville, VA. (~3.5 hours)

Old 01-08-2009, 12:12 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,158 times
Definitely check out these two books which will give you loads of fun ideas:

- North Carolina Weekends by Lynn Setzer
- Day Trips from Raleigh-Durham, Getaway Ideas for the Local Traveler by Ralph Grizzle & James L Hoffman

I HIGHLY recommend both of these, available in the local travel section of the bookstores.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,417 times
Go to visitnc.com for ideas within NC. The Biltmore is great in Spring, but after the flowers bloom in late April/May. The Northern Beaches will be cold/windy in February.

If you wish to embrace the cold, drive to SnowShoe, WV to enjoy the snow.
If you wish to escape the cold, anywhere South of Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary