Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Best Value Colleges for 2009 and how they were chosen - USATODAY.com

With all the attention that Duke and UNC seem to get, it's good to see NC State recognized by the Princeton Review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post

With all the attention that Duke and UNC seem to get, it's good to see NC State recognized by the Princeton Review.
That's very cool.

But did anyone else notice there are only 10 colleges west of the Rockies even discussed. I find it odd. Possibly all the article researchers live on the East Coast and Mid West and the flight budget was limited.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:

Thanks for this link! I just sent it on to my friend in RI. Her daughter is a senior in HS and has applied to NCSU's landscape architecture program for next September. It has a great reputation and is quite competitve.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Thanks for this link! I just sent it on to my friend in RI. Her daughter is a senior in HS and has applied to NCSU's landscape architecture program for next September. It has a great reputation and is quite competitve.
I graduated from State's School (now college) of Design.
Tell your friend that her daughter needs to be prepared for an interview in which her enthusiasm will be measured along with her creative skill sets.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
That's very cool.

But did anyone else notice there are only 10 colleges west of the Rockies even discussed. I find it odd. Possibly all the article researchers live on the East Coast and Mid West and the flight budget was limited.
There are many more people and many more colleges East of the Rockies. I'd guess that 80%+ of the US population lives East of the Rockies.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:35 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Quote:
I graduated from State's School (now college) of Design.
Tell your friend that her daughter needs to be prepared for an interview in which her enthusiasm will be measured along with her creative skill sets.
Yes! They are arriving here on Thursday 1/29. Her interview is Saturday 1/31. She has applied for some big scholarship and is still in the running. She is a wonderful student - high honors in all AP classes. Hope all goes well. Anything in particular I should tell her to prepare for?

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Yes! They are arriving here on Thursday 1/29. Her interview is Saturday 1/31. She has applied for some big scholarship and is still in the running. She is a wonderful student - high honors in all AP classes. Hope all goes well. Anything in particular I should tell her to prepare for?
Tell her not to rest on her laurels. I was a student participant in the interview process for new candidates. I saw many, many high honor students get rejected. It's not just about the grades. Every candidate that receives an interview has already passed the objective academic requirements. So, they are not so focused on that. What I did find was that students that could differentiate themselves stood out in the crowd. This doesn't mean a dog and pony show or being someone they aren't. Some things that I remember from that process that stand out in my mind are:
  1. A young man that could go on and on about Dante's Inferno
  2. Candidates whose talents were varied (playing musical instruments, photography, writing poetry, etc.)
  3. Candidates from all walks of life with unique life experiences
  4. candidates that asked a lot of questions (showing interest)
At that time, candidates were interviewed by a professor and a current student was an equal partner in determining entrance. Candidates would often put on a big show for the professor but act completely detached when the current student would tour them through the Design campus. If this were to happen, a candidate would surely be sunk. On the other hand, a candidate might freeze up in the presence of a professor but be completely at ease, interesting and engaging otherwise. These candidates were sometimes admitted if the student "interviewer" could convince the professor to take a chance on the candidate. The entire process is set to determine likely success of a candidate and whether or not they had what it takes to complete the rigorous demands.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,411 times
It would also help if she not only knew about the school but a few of the faculty members in particular. She should familiarize herself with the research areas and a few publications of 2-3 of the professors. She can then explain that she is interested in taking class from them and perhaps doing research or a project with them because she also has interests in XYZ like Drs. ABC. That would go a long way in differentiating herself from other candidates.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
It would also help if she not only knew about the school but a few of the faculty members in particular. She should familiarize herself with the research areas and a few publications of 2-3 of the professors. She can then explain that she is interested in taking class from them and perhaps doing research or a project with them because she also has interests in XYZ like Drs. ABC. That would go a long way in differentiating herself from other candidates.
Gosh...I don't know about this. That just doesn't sound like the culture of the College of Design to me. first of all, students are on first name basis with the faculty. I never called anybody "doctor".
What might be valuable is to know about some of the achievements of the student body or research ways that allied programs (Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Visual Design and Product Design) might influence one's education.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
There are many more people and many more colleges East of the Rockies. I'd guess that 80%+ of the US population lives East of the Rockies.
Hmmm? I question 80%. I'm going to have to look at it later when I have time. But you are right there are more people and colleges East of the Rockies. I just have a hard time believing schools like UCLA, USC, Cal Berkley, U of Wa did not make the list at all. Maybe it the fact that schools in the west are more expensive.

But your original post is great for NCSU. My 8 year old wants to go to college there.... mainly because his favorite color is red. My daughter is still looking for a college whose colors are pink and purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary