Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

The North Carolina Department of Instruction on Monday unveiled the state's scores on the 2010 Scholastic Aptitude Test, or SAT.

The SAT is the primary college entrance exam taken by North Carolina students.

As usual, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School System posted the best average SAT scores in the state. Wake County Schools also exceeded the national and state average.

Raleigh News - The Triangle Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 01:56 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
A couple of stellar performers were Enloe and Green Hope.
Others exceeding the Wake average (by more than a few percentage points) were Apex, Leesville Road and Panther Creek.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
My daughter attends Sanderson, as well as my other 3 (who have graduated).

Although Sanderson's scores were not in the top range, I'm very happy with Sanderson. Many of the same teachers that taught my older kids are still there. My daughter is in honors classes and scored well on her SATs.

I wonder what will change if we all go to neighborhood schools as it seems that Sanderson has a lot of busing. My daughter is a senior so it won't affect her but will effect many others.

I'm happy with Wake County Public Schools.

Vicki

Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
I wouldn't get to excited about just exceeding state and national averages in Wake. Most of the people relocating there come from districts that exceed state and national averages. Average is just that average and when it comes to SAT scores the goal is to exceed by a considerable margin. People don't pay a premium just to be better than average.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I wouldn't get to excited about just exceeding state and national averages in Wake. Most of the people relocating there come from districts that exceed state and national averages. Average is just that average and when it comes to SAT scores the goal is to exceed by a considerable margin. People don't pay a premium just to be better than average.
Well said! I'm not sure why we praise ourselves when we are simply chasing mediocrity.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
All averages are not created equal. In some counties, less than a third of students take the SAT. In others, more than 80% do. Self-selection can have a lot to do with where the average for a given district falls. So be careful with comparisons - it's not necessarily an apples to apples comparison.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM

38 posts, read 123,258 times
Actually, the scores are pretty disappointing consider the demographics of Wake county. Enloe's average score, the highest in the county (1180+, I believe), is a mismatch to its magnet status (where a bunch of kids are in the 1500s).

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsham View Post
Actually, the scores are pretty disappointing consider the demographics of Wake county. Enloe's average score, the highest in the county (1180+, I believe), is a mismatch to its magnet status (where a bunch of kids are in the 1500s).
How so? Even the North Carolina version of Lake Wobegon (Chapel Hill), the district average is 1165 (for Math & Reading), and the highest school average is 1218 (East Chapel Hill High). Just what is so out of whack with Enloe in your view?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsham View Post
Bingo, with affluence comes or ought to come higher scores.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
How so? Even the North Carolina version of Lake Wobegon (Chapel Hill), the district average is 1165 (for Math & Reading), and the highest school average is 1218 (East Chapel Hill High). Just what is so out of whack with Enloe in your view?
Area students score well on SATs - wtop.com
WASHINGTON - Several area school systems showed dramatically higher scores on the 2009-2010 SAT college entrance exams, while nationwide, average scores remained flat.

A 38-point increase gave Montgomery County a record 1,653 out of a possible 2,400 composite score. All demographic groups showed improvements, but the number of students taking the test fell to 71.4 percent, down from 78 percent last year.

Fairfax County's combined score was unchanged from last year at 1,664, but it is still 11 points higher than the Montgomery average and 155 points above the national average.

The above is from the link
Hmmm wonder if many transplants from that area move to the Triangle and what they think of Wake SAT scores? Can you say charter school perhaps or just don't move!

Anyone wondering about Demographics can go to CD to compare with Wake. Yes they have a considerable number of Free Reduced meal and immigrant populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary