Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,751 times

Advertisements

Please let this thread die. I am from NY - born and raised. Some friends curse, some don't. The worst potty mouth I deal with (at work) is from Seattle. My cousin, raised in the streets of the Bronx, won't ever say a curse word. If OP wants to know if the North East is all potty mouths, take a trip to Manhattan - you will be shocked at the level of refinement you will see in most of the business and living areas. Also, it just happens to be a great place to visit (pumping up tourism :-) )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
Wow, a kindred spirit.
joey 2000, I think I love you bro!
In a general, heterosexual way, I hope.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:04 PM

149 posts, read 615,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Take a walk down Blount St or some other seedy area of Raleigh and report back on the language being spoken. The answer, in many cases, is economic, not regional.
BTW, when in the right company, I can curse with the best.
LOL, I go near there when I go to Murray's for some used tires... Never stay there any longer than I need to... I agree, it is very much economic... I don't think I'd have the same experiences had I been on the north shore of Long Island. I haven't had the same exposure to that type behavior since moving here almost 4 years ago. But then again, I was born down here and always came back for summers and holidays. So I kind of had different viewpoint when it came to where I wanted to raise my kids.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post

That's true. It also states the obvious and is a gross oversimplification. We are talking in generalities here. Please put the PC whine away, it's more than a little old.
So, you prefer stereotyping to what you consider "PC"?

I'm not being "PC"--I'm stating a fact. Polite people and rude people are everywhere. It's not part of the culture of a geographic location. THAT is a generality.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:07 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Please let this thread die. I am from NY - born and raised. Some friends curse, some don't. The worst potty mouth I deal with (at work) is from Seattle. My cousin, raised in the streets of the Bronx, won't ever say a curse word. If OP wants to know if the North East is all potty mouths, take a trip to Manhattan - you will be shocked at the level of refinement you will see in most of the business and living areas. Also, it just happens to be a great place to visit (pumping up tourism :-) )
Yep. Or to any well-heeled area of New England, NJ, NY, you name it.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:11 PM

73,004 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
I agree with you pirate_latiffe, having lived in metro Atlanta myself (Fayette County), I was inundated with swear words left and right (many times from females as well). In high school, just about every other word was a four letter one, and this trend continued through college and beyond. Don't hear it quite as much here in Augusta, but still hear my fair share!
We both had the same situation. Now I have a bad potty mouth(and a short temper).

Old 03-18-2009, 06:59 PM

41 posts, read 110,973 times
I come from brooklyn ny and my husband from queens ny. Yes we do curse alot, but also know when not too. I have never cursed in front of my mother or my elders for that matter. I know that there is a time and a place for things. Sayin that cursing is like an adjective or a word that can replace just about any other word. Thats just the way its been my whole life. You cant say it has anythin to do with education or class. I grew up upper middle class and in private school and i come from a very good neighborood. As for the loundness, your always hangin out on a street somewhere with city buses or els with subways over head. Plus theres always at least 10 people hanging around. Nyers are people with alot to say and want to be heard. Nobody ever agrees and it turns in a who can talk over who to express there feelins. And in the house families are large grandmas great grandparents cousins aunts you get the idea. And again everybodys got somethin to say and wants to be heard. And when you cant think of a word to get our pointacross you use a curse word instead.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,171 times
My wife and I live in the Bronx and believe me, I hear stuff quite often, even on the train going to work. Yikes! One thing we noticed when we visited NC and TN last year is that we heard almost nothing to the degree that we get here. It was really a refreshing change to be honest. We don't curse at all, being church goers but it certainly was one of many reasons for us to consider moving south one day instead of staying in NY. Oh, that and the fact that most folks in the south appear friendlier too. Just an observation. Blessings.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
My wife and I live in the Bronx and believe me, I hear stuff quite often, even on the train going to work. Yikes! One thing we noticed when we visited NC and TN last year is that we heard almost nothing to the degree that we get here. It was really a refreshing change to be honest. We don't curse at all, being church goers but it certainly was one of many reasons for us to consider moving south one day instead of staying in NY. Oh, that and the fact that most folks in the south appear friendlier too. Just an observation. Blessings.
Not to stir up **** (edit: haha, I cursed without realizing it) but some of the worst cussers out there go to church regularly LOL

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 AM

893 posts, read 1,579,748 times
Frankly, I find it attractive and sexy when a NE woman has a foul mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary