Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you college educated?
Some college 9 10.11%
No college 4 4.49%
Bachelors degree 32 35.96%
masters or higher degree 44 49.44%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times

Advertisements

For the purposes of this poll, you don't have to be degreed, just college educated.

I'm wondering what the slant is on CD users compared to the avg in the triangle. If anyone has the data point on the >50% number of college educated adults, the highest percentage of population in the country, I'd love to read it again. Came out about a year ago if I recall correctly. Maybe longer?

If I can't successfully post a poll - just add posts with yes or no, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:04 PM

185 posts, read 575,814 times
I ain't so smart, where on the poll does I put me flag?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
I ain't so smart, where on the poll does I put me flag?
thppft youse edumacated enough ...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,513 times
I've always wondered about the "some college" category. If you only went a semester or two, isn't that really the same as no college? Oh, wait! You have one semester at Wake Tech under your belt so you are somehow smarter than the next guy. Anyway.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 AM

505 posts, read 2,543,297 times
Good thread.

I am third year in collge. So I put some college. But this is the RDU thread...my guess is most are eduacated. Do this same thread for downeast NC....lol

However, don't let the good ole boys fool ya....they are smarter than you think....just not book smart!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:16 AM

246 posts, read 627,358 times
Geez, a lot of masters/doctors in here! Makes me feel lazy for not wanting to get into grad school.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I'm wondering what the slant is on CD users compared to the avg in the triangle. If anyone has the data point on the >50% number of college educated adults, the highest percentage of population in the country, I'd love to read it again. Came out about a year ago if I recall correctly. Maybe longer?
Using City-Data - surprise, surprise - the percentages with at least a college degree are:
Durham - 42%
Raleigh - 45%
Cary - 61%
Chapel Hill - 74%

Take the populations of each city and you can figure it out for the region, but it looks to be less than 50%, probably around 45%.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Using City-Data - surprise, surprise - the percentages with at least a college degree are:
Durham - 42%
Raleigh - 45%
Cary - 61%
Chapel Hill - 74%

Take the populations of each city and you can figure it out for the region, but it looks to be less than 50%, probably around 45%.
Nationally the average is around 20%...

Even 45% seems very high...

Old 01-14-2009, 02:22 PM

185 posts, read 575,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I've always wondered about the "some college" category. If you only went a semester or two, isn't that really the same as no college? Oh, wait! You have one semester at Wake Tech under your belt so you are somehow smarter than the next guy. Anyway.
What the......?? Nice positive comment there. There are all kinds of reasons why people may not have been able to finish their education.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
It's not a measure of "smarts", it's a measure of the value of education. Someone who leaves high school and thinks "I'll never sit in another classroom again" may be smarter than someone who starts or maybe finishes college, but the point of interest is that they did not, for whatever reasons.

I'm told that this is one reason many employers choose college grads over non-college grads; while the job itself may not require "classroom learning", the fact that one can pursue and finish a degree shows at least some level of "finishing what they started", which is an important trait for employees to have. Obviously, many must drop out of school for all kinds of reasons against their will, but even many of those will eventually go back and finish, if they have that "drive". I know a woman in her mid 50s who has been to at least 5 different colleges and universities and switched majors all over the place in the past 30 years; she finally sat down with a dean and said "look at my transcript and pick whatever I can get the fastest degree in". She's been working full time and taking one class at a time towards her degree for several years now; whatever you think of the perhaps impetuous reasons for choosing a major, you can't say she isn't perseverent.

Note that such measures always refer to "most educated...", not "smartest", though of course there is going to be a self-selection with each additional step on the ladder to at least a minimum level.

Quote:
If anyone has the data point on the >50% number of college educated adults, the highest percentage of population in the country, I'd love to read it again. Came out about a year ago if I recall correctly. Maybe longer?
They've been quoting this figure for literally decades--I remember hearing it in the 1980s. I don't know how often such studies are done, but the "word on the street" is that we are #1 in people with degrees but then I've seen actual data that puts us lower, but still in the Top 10. To be sure, we are a very educated area, but it's very hard to define "most educated of all".

And of course you are aware that you can't get any statistically valid info from a voluntary reader poll of one website. People who use the internet are generally more educated than those who don't, and people who read websites such as this one--to learn about a particular area and it's people--show yet another level of interest in learning, so of course the %ages are going to be quite high among we folks here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary