Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM

120 posts, read 549,462 times

Advertisements

I've seen some listings in historic Wake Forest on Brick St. and Mill St...Can anyone offer his/her opinions about this area in terms of safety and whether or not it would be a nice place to raise a young child? And, what's this I've heard about getting double-taxed if living in Wake Forest? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 03:16 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
I've seen some listings in historic Wake Forest on Brick St. and Mill St...Can anyone offer his/her opinions about this area in terms of safety and whether or not it would be a nice place to raise a young child? And, what's this I've heard about getting double-taxed if living in Wake Forest? Thanks!
It's Wake Forest....it's safe. I am not saying crime free...but honestly...it's safe. Even the 'worst' part of town is getting grants to improve the area. There are so many families in Wake Forest you can't go three feet without running into one.

Brick and Mill Streets don't have the huge historic homes that are North Main itself (or prbably the price tag) but there are some great smaller homes in the mix there. My daughter has been to slumber parties in that area...no problems.

I have no idea what you mean about being double taxed if you life in WF...can you explain the context? There are city taxes...but there are city taxes in any city you live in in Wake County.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:23 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,959 times
I would have to agree with the previous poster regarding the location in wake forest, there really isn't a "bad" area per se, I think this area tends to have smaller homes and they have some that don't look like they are kept up well, then others that look great. There are renters in the area, and that may lend to the look, but who knows. Brick tends to be closer to the railroad tracks than mill, so I don't know if that matters or not.

With the taxes, if you live in the city of wake forest (which means you also live in wake county) then you are going to get taxed the city tax and the county tax, which rolled together is 1.17, I believe. If you are just in the county, then it is about .69

You really would have to come and look at everything to make a decision.

Leigh

Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 PM

120 posts, read 549,462 times
Thank you for your replies. Any information from folks living in Wake Forest, especially downtown Wake Forest would be great. My husband and I visited the area today and think it's beautiful, but would like to know what residents think about the area.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,672,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
Thank you for your replies. Any information from folks living in Wake Forest, especially downtown Wake Forest would be great. My husband and I visited the area today and think it's beautiful, but would like to know what residents think about the area.
It's a nice area. I let my daughter walk to downtown and get a hot chocolate at The Well (coffee shop - not a fancy one, but nice) sometimes....it's safe. I wish they had more retail down there....and they they stayed open later. I know the town is trying to address that. Business owners complain no one shops down there, but then people say, "You're never open when I can get there!" The farmer's market came back today for the summer.

I drove through that area today (I am pet sitting for a friend that lives just past that area) and remembered this thread so I was curious.

It's an older nieghborhood...the houses are small bungalow types....certainly not subdivision or 'cookie cutter'.....no, it's not an upscale area, but it's close to things, safe and has a certian cache being in the historic district. The one on Mill Street looks interesting for a small family....it could turn into a nice small scale showcase. I bet it sells fast to be honest in that price range.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:14 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,849,443 times
It is cute there. ther eis no HOA so it looks more worn at the heels, more... real... than a subdivision. Each house is slightly different, and some are kept up better than others.
The area around there I like better is a block or 2 west of the "historic block", east of WF-Rolesville High. the houses are from all eras and the lots are big. Tehre are adorable cottages with big cottage gardens, Asian-inspired lots, houses that look like chalets nestled in the woods... it is pretty cool. There are a good amount of young families in there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary