Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:07 AM

10 posts, read 39,854 times

Advertisements

Everyone has been helpful to our questions, and we thank you!

We are from South Brunswick, NJ, a very good school system. We hear EXCELLENT things about Wake Schools, but are questioning the year round system.

Can anyone give is some explanation, help, and feedback? Especially if you have come from tradtional schools?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
First, I would advise you to look at the wake county public school website (www.wcpss.net) and it has excellent resources for year round schools, the schedules, information and websites about different schools in wake county, etc

The year round schools (the majority are elementary schools) work on a 4 track system, with only three tracks in school at a time. Let's say you are on track 1, you start school july 9th, and you are in school until the last three weeks of september (so 9 weeks on, three weeks off), then you are out most of december, and the last three weeks of march, then june and the first week of july. There are certain times of the year where the whole school is out (example, the week of christmas). So, it all depends on which tracks works for your family. I have friends who are from england, and they requested track 1 so that they could travel home for a month at the holidays. Other people try and get on track 4 because it "most" resembles the traditional school calendar (it is the only track that begins july 30, every other track begins july9).

The wake county school website can show you an actual calendar which may help. I think the difficulty that people face is that they may have a child who is on a year round calendar (in elementary school) and a middle schooler on a traditional calendar (but that may change in the next couple of years who knows). High schools will most likely never go year round.

For us, we have only been on a year round calendar, so it doesn't really matter. My friends love year round because they feel like there is not a huge summer break for the kids to get bored. There are also many "track out" programs (camps, classes, activities) that kids can attend.

that is my best explanation, let me know if you have more questions.
'
Leigh

Old 03-11-2007, 09:39 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Great explanation!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 AM

225 posts, read 954,253 times
Yes, it was a bit confusing for me too, after coming from traditional & recently moving here.

Once you research it a bit & get acculamated to it, it's easy to understand.

My youngest elem. son is year around.

High Schools will not go to year around.

Year around schools have 4 tracks (1 track is always out, allowing for more room in schools). If you go on the www.wcpss.net, it will show you the 4 tracks & when the kids are "tracked out".

I orginally requested track 4 for my elem. son, but, because we started mid-way through the year, I did not have a choice as to what track my child got. Some tracks were already filled up. He ended up on track 1.

Right now, I'm trying to move my elem. to track 4 (most like traditional school with days off) because I have HS kids. So, my goal now is to try and change my elem. child to track 4. Once you are given a track (I've been told) it is hard to change unless you have a good reason.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,445 times
Default from NJ

I am from NJ, you really want to investigate the school system here before moving and see if you like it. look at all issues: year round, redistricting, over crowding, growth.

some you will and wont care or be bothered by.
The biggest difference is that Wake county schools are run by the county and not the towns. There are big changes going on here in the last couple of years and alot were not presented for public approval or vote.

TONS of people are moving here MUCH more than NJ or NY.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 46,764 times
I am moving in the summer time and the school that my daughter will go too, has told me she will be in track 1 July 9th. If I were to register her after that time will that put her on another track or will she still be placed on track 1? How do they determine which track each child will end up in?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 AM

89 posts, read 417,280 times
Okay - I'm curious. Someone explain it to me, please.
My son's middle school is going from traditional to year-round. Not a big deal for me. I actually think it's a decent idea. I know if I am out of a learning environment for a long time I forget things - same concept (in my mind at least). Forgive me, because I'm not an avid news watcher, but I do hear tidbits and I've never understood the huge resistence to year-round. And I hear something about lawsuits against WC or the state this week? Why and what are the bases for these lawsuits?

Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariegirl View Post
Okay - I'm curious. Someone explain it to me, please.
My son's middle school is going from traditional to year-round. Not a big deal for me. I actually think it's a decent idea. I know if I am out of a learning environment for a long time I forget things - same concept (in my mind at least). Forgive me, because I'm not an avid news watcher, but I do hear tidbits and I've never understood the huge resistence to year-round. And I hear something about lawsuits against WC or the state this week? Why and what are the bases for these lawsuits?
The basis? Not much legally. They say it year around schools place an unfair burden on their families.

I don't get the angst either, but some folks just are going to complain about any change, good or bad.

I lost most sympathy I had for these parents when I heard the name they picked for their little class action group. 'WakeCARES'. Nice way to imply they are the ones that care about the kids, not the supporters of year around calenders. The group is headed by some rather wealthy parents...they know how to play the spin game well.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 AM

653 posts, read 2,987,360 times
Albert1: The school decided which track to place kids on based on how full each track is already. They try to keep the four tracks balanced so that equal numbers of kids are on the tracks at any given time. Whether or not applying late will change your track depends on enrollment at the time you register her. Keep in mind that 3 of the 4 tracks start July 9, so if you start her any time after that, there is a chance that she will start behind.

Mariegirl: First, let me say that my own daughter is on year-round, and we like it a lot. We also had a choice in the matter, because we have a traditional base school, and a year-round that we applied to. Many of the parents and families who oppose year round are upset that they were not given a choice - their schools were converted. period. I guess I can understand the frustration.

The latest lawsuit that you may be referring to is the group that has sued the school system based on equality, saying that their kids are not receiving the same educational opportunities as those in traditional school. They cite the lack of opportunities for summer enrichment programs that may hurt their children's chances of going to good colleges. (Keep in mind that high schools are NOT year round, so these are elementary and middle school programs we're referring to.) Personally, I think it's a long shot, but certainly an interesting take on the issue.

I also think that as the community catches up to the number of school conversions, there will be more and more activities/camps/enrichment programs offered during track-out periods anyway. We've seen that with our own extra-curricular programs, such as ballet camps, tae kwon do camps, etc. being offered over staggered weeks to accomodate year round kids. We use the YMCA track out camp, which is awesome, and many daycares offer similar camps.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 AM

48 posts, read 185,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
We also had a choice in the matter, because we have a traditional base school, and a year-round that we applied to.
Does Wake County allow you to apply to your school of choice? I have read several posts suggesting this and I was confused about how much choice I would have in terms of schools for my children. Where I live now we absolutely do not have a choice and must go where the county tells us we are districted to go.

Just curious. Perhaps I should start a separate thread for my question but since I read the reference here I thought I would ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary