Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I think this is a grossly exagerated generalization.
I live in both Miami and Raleigh and take the AA flight between the two cities all the time. I have never had my flight cancelled and it has almost always been basically on time.
If you are just connecting through Miami, it shouldn't be a big deal. I will say that neither Raleigh nor Miami have mastered the art of getting bags delivered to the baggage area in a timely manner.
Miami's AA terminals are under renovation and expansion. This will cause some challenge if you have to connect between new and old sections of their terminals but it's not impossible to do if you just pay attention to when you land in Miami. And, unlike some other preposterous assertions I have read about MIA, you won't have to leave secure areas and re-inspect your bags if you stay on an AA itinerary.
No, it’s not an exaggeration. Basing it on my experience and many other peoples experience I personally know, as well as information I have heard in general. I’m not saying everyone will have bad luck, but many do and it happens at this airport more often than others. I hope anyone who does fly in and out of it doesn’t share my experience and I wish you the best of luck. I am just suggesting if MIA can be avoided, please do!

Here are just some reviews on MIA:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/miami-international-airport-miami

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/mia.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
No, it’s not an exaggeration. Basing it on my experience and many other peoples experience I personally know, as well as information I have heard in general. I’m not saying everyone will have bad luck, but many do and it happens at this airport more often than others. I hope anyone who does fly in and out of it doesn’t share my experience and I wish you the best of luck. I am just suggesting if MIA can be avoided, please do!

Here are just some reviews on MIA:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/miami-international-airport-miami

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/mia.htm
Pardon me. I am just reporting from years and years of personal experience in which I take these back and forth flights dozens of times per year. Sorry...my bad.
I am sure that you can produce all the surveys you want and have a personal experience in which you were not satisfied. However, I am just rebutting your comments based on my extensive experience with this route. I highly doubt that anyone on this board can say they have taken this flight as a passenger more than me. I am guessing that I have taken this route more than 100 times.
MIA is not perfect. Believe me....I have my share of complaints. However, to suggest that one should try to avoid it when it's clearly the most convenient and logical route for going to San Juan deserves a strong rebuttal. And, to assert that one should plan on spending the night as if to somehow assure them that they will miss their connection is still (in my book) hyperbole.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Pardon me. I am just reporting from years and years of personal experience in which I take these back and forth flights dozens of times per year. Sorry...my bad.
I am sure that you can produce all the surveys you want and have a personal experience in which you were not satisfied. However, I am just rebutting your comments based on my extensive experience with this route. I highly doubt that anyone on this board can say they have taken this flight as a passenger more than me. I am guessing that I have taken this route more than 100 times.
MIA is not perfect. Believe me....I have my share of complaints. However, to suggest that one should try to avoid it when it's clearly the most convenient and logical route for going to San Juan deserves a strong rebuttal. And, to assert that one should plan on spending the night as if to somehow assure them that they will miss their connection is still (in my book) hyperbole.
Glad you have such great experiences there

Just sharing mine and many others experience there, if that's ok.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
However, to suggest that one should try to avoid it when it's clearly the most convenient and logical route for going to San Juan deserves a strong rebuttal. And, to assert that one should plan on spending the night as if to somehow assure them that they will miss their connection is still (in my book) hyperbole.
I agree MIA in no way compares to EWR, LGA, PHL, or ORD.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Just happened to come across this. See, I’m not delusional
http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=878541&GT1=41000

"Miami, however, didn’t fare so well. Its delays increased by 3 percentage points, which bumped it up to the #3 worst airport in America."

"#3 Miami (MIA)
Percentage of flights delayed: 31%
What happened?! The drop from 28% in 2007 meant the airport's ranking jumped to the top 3—not a good place to be."

Last edited by DanielleNC; 02-12-2009 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Just happened to come across this. See, I’m not delusional
http://travel.msn.com/Guides/article.aspx?cp-documentid=878541&GT1=41000

"Miami, however, didn’t fare so well. Its delays increased by 3 percentage points, which bumped it up to the #3 worst airport in America."

"#3 Miami (MIA)
Percentage of flights delayed: 31%
What happened?! The drop from 28% in 2007 meant the airport's ranking jumped to the top 3—not a good place to be."
OK let's analyze this a bit.

American uses Miami as a semi-hub into South America. American has a significant amount of flights from it's other hubs into Miami, and is probably the dominant carrier there (although I don't have any figures to back that up). Those hubs also were delayed significantly. One can assume if the flight is delayed at the hub, it will also be delayed departing the outstation because it was late getting there.

MIA Percent Departures Delayed (%) 2008 year
American - 32%
American Eagle (not effected by other American hubs) - 17%
Airtran - 17%
Delta - 18%
Northwest - 14%
US Airways - 13%
United (also have a hub in ORD) - 24%

The average departure delay for all carriers, across all airports is 20%. Miami is (significantly) under the average for everyone except American and United.

Source: BTS.gov

American is by far the worst. They are dragging everyone else down. MIA isn't bad, it's just that American puts a lot of flights into it and they are delayed due to them coming from their hubs. But MIA itself isn't to blame for that.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
American is by far the worst. They are dragging everyone else down. MIA isn't bad, it's just that American puts a lot of flights into it and they are delayed due to them coming from their hubs. But MIA itself isn't to blame for that.
Another thing to consider is that Miami is the major gateway to and from South America for the entire US. Add to this the fact that there are also many direct flights to and from Europe. Conditions on the other end also contribute to the statistics for Miami. It's easier to have better on time arrival statistics if almost all of your routes are domestic and you don't have to deal with the multitude of possible issues due to international travel.
So, if there are problems and delays departing places such as Bogota, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Caracas or any host of international direct routes, they will affect the on time status of Miami. This is especially true for American Airlines because they have the lion's share of the direct routes.

There are 7 direct flights daily between Miami and San Juan on AA alone. If, by some chance, you missed your flight, I would expect that they have the capacity to accommodate you on another flight that day. If you are completely freaked about about the chance that you might miss your connection, book an earlier flight so that there will be several other options in case you somehow miss your flight.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:57 AM

I think we are saying the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary