Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

I really need to be set straight when it comes to moving to North Carolina (Raleigh) from Stamford, CT. I love the south and everything about it. I have family in Norfolk, VA. I am thinking long term with this post so please be honest if you can relate.

I work as an application developer for a financial services company here in CT. My girlfriend will be done with her second bachelors in nursing in August. I am almost 27 and she is almost 23.

I would like to give her some reasoning to move down there - I have not read good things from people who move down there from here...please prove me wrong

What I like about Stamford:
It is very easy to get around(metro north) and there is great restaurants. If I go out to dinner - there is always a new place to try. Some places to go out if we take it to that level.

What I hate about Stamford:
EXPENSIVE - I make an amazing salary and it is barely enough to own a 2br condo even in this current economy. Forget about a house.

People are rude - I grew up in upstate New York and I am used to a close knit community. I heard areas around Raleigh lack this - especially Cary. I want neighbors who are friendly and make eye contact.

Set me straight on:

- If we move down there, we are in it for the long haul. I heard the schools are horrible compared to schools up north. I would like a comparison from anyone who has moved from New England or New York or even better yet taught in both. She has a CT high school diploma and I have a NY diploma.

- I read that Raleigh is all sprawl, you have to drive everywhere which is fine, but I would not be happy if the best place to go out is Chili's or a chain. I respect that Stamford has unique restaurants, does an area around there have a downtown without chains? Say if I want Indian does it taste ok?

Short of bringing her down there(which is my next step), I need some advice. I have note seen many FC residents happy down there. If you can relate, I would appreciate the input. Thanks for reading this far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 11:35 AM

27 posts, read 133,513 times
I moved from Fairfield County (Stratford) to Greensboro, NC three years ago. I chose the Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) area for a few reasons.

1) Lower housing costs and property taxes

2) Milder weather

3) An area with growth potential

For me it's been a great move and I could see myself staying here for a long time. You will miss some things about CT (ie. food, proximity to NYC, etc...), but is that worth the astronomical housing costs (particularly in FFC) and taxes. Well, it wasn't for me, but it is for some. Your girlfriend will have no problem finding a job in nursing. The current economic climate is tough for most other professions right now, but that will hopefully start to turn around in the next 6-12 months.

Start with a weekend trip down to visit.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
jkozer26, where on earth are you getting your facts from? Nothing of what you said is factual. The schools are fine, it's relatively easy to get around. The sprawl here is certainly not as bad as it is in CT.

If you've lived in Upstate NY, then you obviously know how closed-off and private people there tend to be, especially to outsiders. To use your words, "a close knit community". It is the complete opposite in NC. Everyone you meet is most likely from somewhere else. You'll find all sorts of people to talk to and socialize with, much more like CT than NY.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozer26 View Post
I really need to be set straight when it comes to moving to North Carolina (Raleigh) from Stamford, CT. I love the south and everything about it. I have family in Norfolk, VA. I am thinking long term with this post so please be honest if you can relate.

I work as an application developer for a financial services company here in CT. My girlfriend will be done with her second bachelors in nursing in August. I am almost 27 and she is almost 23.

I would like to give her some reasoning to move down there - I have not read good things from people who move down there from here...please prove me wrong

What I like about Stamford:
It is very easy to get around(metro north) and there is great restaurants. If I go out to dinner - there is always a new place to try. Some places to go out if we take it to that level.

What I hate about Stamford:
EXPENSIVE - I make an amazing salary and it is barely enough to own a 2br condo even in this current economy. Forget about a house.

People are rude - I grew up in upstate New York and I am used to a close knit community. I heard areas around Raleigh lack this - especially Cary. I want neighbors who are friendly and make eye contact.

Set me straight on:

- If we move down there, we are in it for the long haul. I heard the schools are horrible compared to schools up north. I would like a comparison from anyone who has moved from New England or New York or even better yet taught in both. She has a CT high school diploma and I have a NY diploma.

- I read that Raleigh is all sprawl, you have to drive everywhere which is fine, but I would not be happy if the best place to go out is Chili's or a chain. I respect that Stamford has unique restaurants, does an area around there have a downtown without chains? Say if I want Indian does it taste ok?

Short of bringing her down there(which is my next step), I need some advice. I have note seen many FC residents happy down there. If you can relate, I would appreciate the input. Thanks for reading this far
that's one heck of a post. I'm from upstate - and lived for a while in Boston (proper) as well as westchester cty, with frequent visits to friends in Stamford and other CT coastal and inland communities. So, I feel somewhat qualified to quell your fears and set you straight.

CT and the northeast are wonderful for some stuff - metro north and related public transit among the positives, as well as a multitude of family operated local eateries. Because of the infrastructure, the taxes plainly suck. They suck the life out of everything - you are FROM upstate - but you don't live there anymore. I don't think I need to elaborate.

My husband is from Boston. His extended family is all still there. His favorite pizza joint in the world is on the other side of the metro north tracks from 95 - I can't remember the name of it.

Anyhow - the schools here are top notch, and I've been in the education space since 1988. In particular, Wake County. You'll hear a lot about the traditional v. year round assignments - but all in all, it's a great system trying to keep up with the influx of people from around the country migrating here. Nothing to do with the quality of education your future kids will get here.

There are lots of crap restaurants (see restaurant review threads) as well as plentiful good restaurants. You just figure that out - unlike your current comfortable back yard, you have to step out and experiment from time to time. I've found that to be 1/2 the fun!

Medical care is top notch here - some of the best hospitals and docs in the country.

Housing is CHEAP compared to CT. forget the townhouse, get some land to go with it, a driveway, neighbors and an HOA. And still have money left over for food, travel, and entertainment.

I have said this before in other threads. The best way to find good neighbors is to be one yourself. When you move in - introduce yourselves. Drive around neighborhoods before dusk to see whether these are people you want to live with for 5 years or so. Do nice things and join in. Don't expect to "fit in" or find your groove immediately, it takes a while - like a year or more.

We love it here and wouldn't trade it. Whoever is feeding you the other crap - tell them to stuff it!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,814,733 times
Ex-Fairfield County resident here-I'd NEVER go back regardless of a job offer or any other reason.
I don't know where you are getting the Idea that those from Fairfield County are unhappy here. I come across plenty of CT migrants in my line of work and the vast majority of them are very happy here.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
It is the complete opposite in NC. Everyone you meet is most likely from somewhere else.
So absolutely NOT true--there are many of us natives still here.

But, first and foremost, make sure you have a JOB before just moving here "aimlessly". The economy here is contracting quite alarmingly, and payoffs are hitting everywhere, possibly ven government. Don't just move here and think you'll find a job by snapping your fingers.

NC universities (in the Triangle, anyway) are among the better public universities for the price you'll ever find. UNC-Chapel Hill is usually considered in the very top tier, along with UCLA, Virginia, and Michigan. And the price here, at least for now and for residents, is CHEAP.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
It is the complete opposite in NC. Everyone you meet is most likely from somewhere else.
Sorry. I probably shouldn't have said everyone.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:43 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozer26 View Post
I really need to be set straight when it comes to moving to North Carolina (Raleigh) from Stamford, CT.
I hate to be mean, but .... do us all a favor and stay in Stamford. If you're approaching our area with the attitude that the schools all suck, nothing's as good as it is up north, the area is nothing but sprawl and you can't get around, the best restaurant's we have are chains like Chili's, and everyone you know isn't happy here .... well, I can pretty much bet you ain't gonna like it here either. Seriously, move somewhere for a reason other than that you hate it where you are.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 AM

43,270 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I hate to be mean, but .... do us all a favor and stay in Stamford. If you're approaching our area with the attitude that the schools all suck, nothing's as good as it is up north, the area is nothing but sprawl and you can't get around, the best restaurant's we have are chains like Chili's, and everyone you know isn't happy here .... well, I can pretty much bet you ain't gonna like it here either. Seriously, move somewhere for a reason other than that you hate it where you are.
Shucks.... Cut the OP a little slack on some of the implications of the post.

He is just posting what he has heard, and asking for accurate information.
Like others I think his information is far off-base, but that the request for accuracy was very reasonable.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Shucks.... Cut the OP a little slack on some of the implications of the post.
You're right Mike. I was too harsh, but the point I was trying to make is if you have negative attitudes about this part of the country, and everyone you know doesn't like it, the odds of you being happy with it are low. I, of course, think this area is wonderful, and would invite anyone who wants to live here to come on down. But it's not going to be "the way things are up North." We're different. Not better; different. If you like those differences - come join us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary