Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,324 times

Advertisements

I can tell you that you will not run into any WWF (err WWE) wrestlers down here.

WWE: Help > Contact Us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 7,061 times
Thanks for the great replies everyone. In my original post, I took the low road to see if those negative points are true or not, I did not mean to upset anyone. If I wasn't looking for something different I would just move to DC where it is just as expensive. I have family in Chesapeake, VA and love the outer banks so I am familiar with how things work in the south. Each time we visit down there, it gets harder to leave.

I think a visit would probably be my next step. However, before I can get serious about this I agree with Francois that I need a job. I am a web developer and before the economy really went sour, I applied to *many* jobs down there and never heard a response back. I know that I am not unemployable because I consistently turned down recruiters around here. I know that even if we love it, I can't move down there without a job.

I know the economy will come back, but in the meantime can anyone give me any tips on how they landed a job before they moved to NC? I have had my resume and cover letter reviewed by multiple professionals and its good so I must be doing something wrong. I am hoping for an alternative idea instead of checking monster or careerbuilder every once a week or so. Thanks.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM

746 posts, read 2,248,580 times
linked in, linking raleigh.com, monster, career builder, triangle.com, headhunters, getting a transfer with your existing company, following resumes with phone calls, identifying specific companies where you have connections, asking your friends on the obx for help, etc. etc.

Really, the same exercise you would go through regardless of where you are looking for a job. You may also want a spare set of eyes or 10 on your rez/cover letter if you aren't getting any responses.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,323 times
I can tell you that in any job market (let alone the current one) Triangle employers get a lot of submissions from people thinking of relocating here who want to fly in and swoop up a job. That's the nature of our area.
You will have far more luck if your resume has a local Triangle address on it (even if it is the street address of a Mailboxes ETC. or similar, they probably won't verify an address on a first pass) and a phone number with a 919 area code. If I am looking to fill a job I want someone who won't be burdened with moving, trying to sell their house up North, or looking for financial help with their relocation. The illusion of having a local address and phone number may get you in the door-then it's up to you.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM

12 posts, read 41,868 times
Here is my BEST advice: Get your girlfriend on a plane and spend a week together exploring the area. Go to Starbucks or Barnes & Noble and interview random strangers.....try the different restaurants (you'll find some great Indian food, by the way).....call a realtor ahead of time and burn a tank of gas checking out different neighborhoods. In other words, let the Triangle sell itself.

Unless you want to take the risk of having a miserable gf/fiancee/wife in 2 years, make sure she loves the area as much as YOU do. "When mamma's happy, EVERYBODY's happy."

For reference, I moved to Raleigh from South Florida back in 2004 and we were gone by 2006. Why? Because my wife (who is a big city girl from NYC) was never quite comfortable with the "culture" in Raleigh. I will always be a big fan of the the city, but it just wasn't a good fit for us.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I can tell you that in any job market (let alone the current one) Triangle employers get a lot of submissions from people thinking of relocating here who want to fly in and swoop up a job. That's the nature of our area.
You will have far more luck if your resume has a local Triangle address on it (even if it is the street address of a Mailboxes ETC. or similar, they probably won't verify an address on a first pass) and a phone number with a 919 area code. If I am looking to fill a job I want someone who won't be burdened with moving, trying to sell their house up North, or looking for financial help with their relocation. The illusion of having a local address and phone number may get you in the door-then it's up to you.
I know how HR works. They will ask you where you currently live at the first phone interview. If I lived in Charlotte where I could sneak down for an interview that would be great. When I live 9 hours away, it won't work - especially when I hope they will fly me in for it

I compare professional recruiting to the company who I currently work for will fly people in from Michigan(their top engineering school of choice) for an interview with no problem. They are also one of the current top 100 companies to work for in America according to Fortune. I understand how the triangle is flooded with these types of applicants but I hoped for a more professional experience without lying.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,323 times
You said-
"I have had my resume and cover letter reviewed by multiple professionals and its good so I must be doing something wrong. I am hoping for an alternative idea instead of checking monster or careerbuilder every once a week or so. Thanks."

Glad you "know how HR works". All I did was answer your question and offer an alternate idea.

As someone who lived and worked in Fairfield County for 15 years (and all thru my 20s) before moving here I can be a lot of help to you if would like, but my inclination is to simply wish you well since you clearly have all the answers. Why did you post here again?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,398,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozer26 View Post
I really need to be set straight when it comes to moving to North Carolina (Raleigh) from Stamford, CT.
Hey jkozer26. We moved down to NC for New England in 2005. It was the best move we ever made. We live in Cary and we could not be happier. For "us", it is by far much more affordable here, much better weather, friendlier people without a doubt, much more work opportunity (although it is slower now than when we first moved), a lot more to do, a huge choice in restaurants both local and chains and great access to everything. We lived in SW Durham first, which was a great location to learn the area from for a newbie. We spent 2 straight years learning and researching the area and decided on Cary for the long haul. For "us", it stood head and shoulders above the rest in community feel, beauty, amenities, location and pure pleasure.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozer26 View Post
I applied to *many* jobs down there and never heard a response back. I know that I am not unemployable because I consistently turned down recruiters around here.
Well, we do have smart and educated people that live here already believe it or not....they are going to be looked at before your resume even gets opened.

I note that people from other areas are always so surprised that they aren't just welcomed with open arms by employers here...that they must of course be better then locals for some reason.

We have one of the best educated populations in the Nation. Our local universities put out top-notch graduates in many fields.

Your misconceptions (which are many) of the area not withstanding, employment here is competitive and a local address is a huge competitive edge.

Oh, and if you really aren't going to be happy in a place that is different then you are leaving or come to look down your nose at the locals, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and don't come here.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:31 PM

55 posts, read 232,860 times
I moved from Manchester CT in June 2008, So my opinion is based on being a newbie to the area but I will tell you what I think so far...First of all the schools... we are in Wake County raleigh/knightdale area. There is this website that will tell you all about the schools; grades and how well the rate. I used this to decide on our location, you may look at some of the numbers and think they arent great but in reality when you compare to the CT schools they are way better. We love the schools and my kids are thriving.I have kids in Elementary and middle school. The people and weather are reason enough to move..compared to CT its like living in a different world, We went (home) to CT for X-mas this year and in such a short time I forgot how miserable the people in CT can be..But I would be to If I was still paying all that money to live in such a miserable state.
As far as getting around.. I am still exploring but there is soooooooo much to see there are so many unique restaurants you just have to be open to trying them. What I love is the restaurants in the area all post there health scores on their walls so you can see how clean they are.
I could go on and on about all of the wonderful things we have experienced since we have been here but I will just say this.. I AM HOME. I wouldnt turn back for anything..Keep in mind I moved here Blind..no friends no family and we have met many people, we are renting before we buy and our complex is wonderful, Always having a potluck or block/pool party to get the residents to know each other.. Also there is endless things to do and the drive isnt nearly as bad as CT. The Free musuems downtown are amazing, If they were in CT you would pay $20 a piece to get it..

I think anyone can be happy here : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary