Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:37 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,461 times

Advertisements

So here's a question... On our new home being built, should I feel uncomfortable in any way with using the inspector our buyer's agent recommends for a pre-closing inspection? We have no real reason not to trust our agent's recommendation... It just seems to me it MIGHT be better to bring in an independent party with no connection to anyone with a financial stake in the transaction. Again, we don't suspect any shady dealings are going on... But you never really do know, do you?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, particularly of any of the realtors who frequent this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM

673 posts, read 2,267,039 times
When we bought our home in Durham in 2007, hubby and I were living in Michigan and found the house on a house-hunting trip. Since we were not familiar with the area, we went with the inspector recommended by our realtor, and we were very pleased with the inspection.

On suggestion I have is to ask your agent whether he/she has several inspectors or inspection companies he/she works with. Our realtor/buyer's agent had names of several she worked with, and she left the choice up to us.

Since we were in Michigan when some of the inspections and pre-purchase activities took place, our agent would be represent us on those visits.

Our experience was great -- we had a great realtor, and we were very pleased with her recommendations and all that she did on our behalf.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I am always happy to recommend "my lender" and "my inspector" and "my attorney" because these are QUALIFIED professionals who I have worked with before and who I KNOW will give my clients the best service.

However, if my clients want to use someone else, I'm ok with that, as well.

The benefit of using those that I recommend is that I KNOW they are honest and WILL do the best for my clients. It is illegal to get gifts from them or any type of "kickbacks".

I also know that if my inspector misses something (yes, they are human, too) that he thinks he SHOULd have found, he'll pay to get it done.

If there is a problem, my attorney will go beyond what is necessary to work it out.

My lender will NEVER quote someone something on a GFE and not stick by it.

Again, I give my clients my professional advice and if they prefer to find someone from the phone book, that is their call.

In this area, our Home Inspectors are licensed. My clients from up north tell me that their inspectors can be "bought" and are less than honest. I don't find that to be the case here.

However, if you feel that there is a reason NOT to use the inspector that was referred by your Agent, by all means, hire someone else. They are working FOR YOU.

Vicki

Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
So here's a question... On our new home being built, should I feel uncomfortable in any way with using the inspector our buyer's agent recommends for a pre-closing inspection? We have no real reason not to trust our agent's recommendation... It just seems to me it MIGHT be better to bring in an independent party with no connection to anyone with a financial stake in the transaction. Again, we don't suspect any shady dealings are going on... But you never really do know, do you?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, particularly of any of the realtors who frequent this board.
If you feel confident in someone you choose, or have seen their work, by all means, use them.
There are plenty of duds out there, but if you pick the dud, it takes a lot of the liability off the agent.

The only self-interest an agent should have is to recommend an articulate and conscientious home inspector.
No good agent fears a thorough inspection. That is what we want for our clients.

We all hate the drama kings and queens, frustrated ham actors who milk every observation for maximum FUD, but that is not at all the same as avoiding a thorough inspection.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
I recommend doing your own research for an inspector. Of course, if your agent uses us, well then you have no worries.
In all seriousness, membership with ASHI(American Society of Home Inspectors) is a big plus, as is extensive experience in construction. There is also little substitute for number of homes inspected. There are approximately 300 of us in the triangle area, and many are part-timers. You just haven't seen enough until you have been in a few thousand homes. I am personally over 7,000 and still run across something new every now and then.
Look over the message board here as there are several recommendations for some very good inspectors.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you feel confident in someone you choose, or have seen their work, by all means, use them.
There are plenty of duds out there, but if you pick the dud, it takes a lot of the liability off the agent.

The only self-interest an agent should have is to recommend an articulate and conscientious home inspector.
No good agent fears a thorough inspection. That is what we want for our clients.

We all hate the drama kings and queens, frustrated ham actors who milk every observation for maximum FUD, but that is not at all the same as avoiding a thorough inspection.
Mike, SPEAK ENGLISH! What the heck is a "FUD"???

Vicki

Old 02-19-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Mike, SPEAK ENGLISH! What the heck is a "FUD"???

Vicki
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt!

"STAND BACK!!!! WE ARE MISSING A NAIL IN THE ATTIC AND THE WHOLE HOUSE WILL COLLAPSE AND BLOW AWAY THE FIRST TIME THE WIND BLOWS!!!!!!! I DON'T KNOW HOW IT HAS STOOD THIS LONG!!!!!!"

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

27 posts, read 101,167 times
I would get a independant inspector not someone that is tied to the realtor who is trying to get the house closed.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryguy View Post
I would get a independant inspector not someone that is tied to the realtor who is trying to get the house closed.
How would you select a home inspector?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How would you select a home inspector?
Would you go to the surgeon that your doctor recommended?

Would you hire the painter that your sheetrock guy recommended?

Do you think EVERYONE has ulterior motives?

Have you talked to a professional about this?

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary