Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 AM

50 posts, read 140,082 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a web designer/developer who is relatively new to the area. I'm currently looking for employment of any kind (full-time, part-time, contract). I haven't really started searching in earnest yet, but my plan is to initially contact the Tech Employment Agencies in the area (I live in Wake Forest).

I know Robert Half is a big one as I have had some dealings with them in the past. The issue I am having is that one of the reps there seems to have a problem with me and it is preventing them from returning my correspondence.

Long story short: He contacted me a few months back and said he needed someone ASAP for a contract job. My situation was a little tenuous and I initially said I would come in and apply for the position. Things changed and I had to cancel with him. I have had correspondence with him once or twice since then, and where he was initially very warm to me (when he thought I could help him out) he then became dismissive after I canceled our meeting.

I know it is debatable whether the problem is this particular rep or any number of other factors, including myself. But the fact is that I keep getting re-routed to him whenever I speak to someone else there. And then nothing.

I've done a search on similar companies in the area and haven't found anything decent. Can anyone suggest an alternative? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
I also had a weird experience with Robert Half. I was told there was a specific direct hire opportunity, and was asked to come in to RH for a preliminary interview before they set up an interview with the client. I came in, and my recruiter had been fired or laid off within the 12 hours that I had spoken to him and I came in to interview. They set me up with another recruiter who knew nothing about the position I was applying for, and he never got back to me after that one meeting. Bizarre and a waste of time.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,599 times
I, too have had similar dealings with RH. I was contacted by one of the reps, but was on another assignment (through a different placement company), so wasn't available when he needed me. He kept emailing and calling me, at least once a week, to make sure I didn't forget about him. When my temp position ended, I went into RH for an interview and everyone was very welcoming. The contract guy said he had a couple of things he wanted to place me in, and the direct-hire guy said he had a couple of things he wanted to submit me to. I was told they would get back to me in a couple of weeks. Well, it's been about 3 months and they haven't contacted me again! I didn't really pursue it, because I found a full-time, permanent job on my own, but it shows bad customer service on their part.

Before all of this, I had a hard time getting anyone there to return my calls or even contact me about jobs I'd applied to online. I was told by a woman I worked with at one of my temporary jobs that RH posts jobs that aren't really vacant, so they can get a fresh "pool" of resumes. I don't know how true that is, but it seems a lot of the jobs they post are never filled.

Good luck in your job search!

Sena

Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
Before all of this, I had a hard time getting anyone there to return my calls or even contact me about jobs I'd applied to online. I was told by a woman I worked with at one of my temporary jobs that RH posts jobs that aren't really vacant, so they can get a fresh "pool" of resumes. I don't know how true that is, but it seems a lot of the jobs they post are never filled.
I think this is the case with a lot of placement agencies. I haven't had much luck with any of them, and found my last position on my own (direct hire). I'm looking for a job again, and trying to avoid applying for jobs posted by agencies unless the job sounds like a *really* good fit.

One thing for sure - it's quite slow in my field (accounting). Luckily I'm able to do contract work for a previous employer from home while I look!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM

18 posts, read 46,884 times
I've worked with them before, or at least the Creative Group side of it, both here and in Baltimore. I rarely got anything of use from either. I will say though, that I have been seeing designers and developers layed off in this area pretty frequently over the last couple months. You may not be hearing anything back because there isn't much out here right now, or, because there seems to be 100 web designers for every 1 open job.

Occasionally I see jobs posted here: Refresh the Triangle, there also several meetup groups in the area where a lot have been networking with each other.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM

137 posts, read 552,663 times
It is common for recruiters to interview candidates for "available jobs" which really do not exist. This way if one of their clients calls they have resumes on file. No question it is a lousy way to do business, but it is very common and misleading.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 AM

50 posts, read 140,082 times
I think what threw me is that they contacted me after my first go-round with them (the one that ended in me canceling). I got a call from a woman who said they had some positions to fill and she wanted to know if I was available. I replied that I was and that they had the most recent copy of my resume. When I mentioned the rep I had dealt with before she routed me to him, resulting in a whole lot of nothing.

The whole reason I even care is because I worked for a mid-size area company that hired all their IT contractors through Robert Half. I know they have decent pull in the area, and if I am on the outs because of some nimrod rep, I need to find a comparable employment agency.

Thanks for the suggestions, BTW.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:52 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,081 times
My husband was working with Robert Half when he was looking for a job a couple of weeks ago. He has nothing good to say about them. He's not fond of most employment agencies like this tho.

Maybe you should try Modis. My husband worked with them also.

He got a job on his own through a company hiring direct.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:32 PM

60 posts, read 215,091 times
Default waste of time at Robert Half

Not in your field, mecha51, but i had poor service from RHI guy in Raleigh near Crabtree Valley Mall. I think he was doing some fishing for contact names and numbers of current/previous employers.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 AM

285 posts, read 836,153 times
I've done some recruiting since I've been here - I'd recommend both of these:

www.worktriangle.com - I posted a couple of jobs on here directly and had some good responses - if you're looking for local jobs, this could be useful for you

I have also used Manpower Professional downtown on Oberlin Road (I think) - I know a lot of the larger organizations in RTP have these guys on their supplier list

Hope that helps - good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary