Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 25,333 times

Advertisements

I emailed the Magnet Resource Center yesterday and received this response:

[SIZE=2]

Thank you for contacting the Magnet Resource Center.

Letters of notification will begin going out on Friday, 20 March 2009.
If you have other questions or need more information, please feel free to call me at 919.501.7924.

Thanks,
Tamani

Tamani Anderson Powell
Magnet Programs
Wake County Public School System
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:22 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
We're waiting for our YR letter. Thanks for looking into it. Hopefully they'll be sending out the YR letters too. Good luck to everyone!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:04 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
We got our letter today! Our child got into Enloe!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

Last edited by Zoya; 03-21-2009 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-21-2009, 03:09 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
My niece got hers for high school today. However, my nephew got nothing for middle school and we got nothing for elementary. We're wondering if they mailed high school first.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:34 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
congrats!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:15 PM

10 posts, read 25,333 times
We received ours today as well - Fuller Elementary! A friend of ours also got theirs today for Fuller as well. Good luck everyone!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:24 PM

85 posts, read 379,537 times
We got ours today! Farmington Woods. Good luck everone!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:26 AM
MBM

8 posts, read 32,265 times
We got into Hunter yesterday! I realize how lucky we are, but now I am feeling slightly apprehensive about accepting. When my Kindergartner starts school this fall, I will have a 4 month old and a two year old. We live near Falls River off of 540 and the distance to the school is starting to concern me. I am worried I won't be able to be as involved as I would like and that his bus ride will be quite a ways for such a little guy. (We did get neighborhood busing.) I toured Hunter once and LOVED it. Our base school is Brassfield, which again, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about! Also, it is only about 6 miles from home! I love the fact that it is close, but constantly fear reassignment. (In my neighborhood, kids go to 4 different elementary schools.)

Anyone have input for a newbie to WCPSS? I do realize how fortunate we are to even have such a choice, so for that I am grateful! I just hate feeling so much pressure to make the "right" decision! It's only Kindergarten for goodness sakes.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 AM

646 posts, read 2,050,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM View Post
We got into Hunter yesterday! I realize how lucky we are, but now I am feeling slightly apprehensive about accepting. When my Kindergartner starts school this fall, I will have a 4 month old and a two year old. We live near Falls River off of 540 and the distance to the school is starting to concern me. I am worried I won't be able to be as involved as I would like and that his bus ride will be quite a ways for such a little guy. (We did get neighborhood busing.) I toured Hunter once and LOVED it. Our base school is Brassfield, which again, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about! Also, it is only about 6 miles from home! I love the fact that it is close, but constantly fear reassignment. (In my neighborhood, kids go to 4 different elementary schools.)

Anyone have input for a newbie to WCPSS? I do realize how fortunate we are to even have such a choice, so for that I am grateful! I just hate feeling so much pressure to make the "right" decision! It's only Kindergarten for goodness sakes.
Magent schools are not for everyone, and if the only reason you are going is that you fear reassignment...well....you are right to rethink it.

First, children may be to 4 different schools around you...but is that assignment or choice? How often have they actually be reassigned? It could be alot, but it could be not often at all.

In my neighborhood, that has had the same base school for over 12 years (as far as I know, it may be longer), you will find children that go to 4 different schools as well. Traditional (base), 2 different year arounds (parent's choice and several families are on different tracks), magnet and charter schools (which is also year around, but only has one track). Our base school is also less then a mile from here, is a wonderful school, and parent's still choice other options. This doesn't seem to bother the kids as most have plenty of friends in the neighborhood as well as school friends.

As for the bus ride, most kids don't mind the bus ride, even at that age. In talking to magnet students, while they might mention the long ride (or for high school and middle schoolers having to get up so early), I've never heard one actually say that it's such a stress for them that they don't like school.

Your involvement...well....that is up to you and only you are going to be able to answer that. With so many children, how involved are you going to be in your base school anyway? Different schools have different rules for bringing along younger siblings so you are going to want to check that out.

How scheduled and regimented is your family? It seems that the more flexible a family is the better a magnet school and the distance works for them. I won't lie, sometimes it can be a pain, but we've managed to stay involved and active. Remember, most of the other parents are in the same boat as you and parent booster clubs and volenteer oppertunites are going to take that into consideration when possible. If you want to volenteer in his room during the day....does it really matter if it's 4 mintues down the road or 24?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:11 AM

85 posts, read 379,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM View Post

Just know that you are not alone in your apprehension. It will be my daughters first year (kind.) at a magnet as well and we are Express Bussing. The bus alone is raising my anxiety level. She will be turning 5 days before school and I am scared that she is not ready. But our preschool teacher has assured me she is more than ready. Does your child go to a preschool or a program that you could discuss your concerns with? Her teacher has put me at ease and they might be able to help you make a decision. One of the main reasons I applied to magnet was the reassignment issue. All I can say is weigh the good and bad about both, but Magnet definitely has the advantage for us in the future because of the program they offer and the advantage in life for my child in the long run. IE: 2 year degree when you graduate if you stay magnet until graduation! Good luck in your decision, just make sure if you change your mind you mail that letter before April 10th!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary