Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM

12 posts, read 21,860 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am from Michigan. Our Economy is so bad right now and I just want to leave with my family and establish a good life. I have really been doing some research and everything that I am seeing is drawing me closer to North Carolina. Everyone that I talked to said it is a great place to live, but I was recently told that North Carolina was a Racist state. I know that there is Racism everywhere, but I was under the influence that North Carolina wasn't a Racist state. Can anyone shed some light for me? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
This post should probably be moved to the North Carolina forum, since it is not about the Triangle specifically.

North Carolina is a great place to live. We moved here 3 years ago from Dallas TX.

I have not noticed any more racism here than any other town or state that I've ever been to.

Please do not move here without a job lined up in advance, or you may be going from the kettle to the fire.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:25 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
What is up with people saying "such and such state is racist"? No offense, but that just sounds stupid if you think about it. It's like as soon as you get to the border people stop being racist?

There are racist people everywhere, but as far as the Triangle goes I don't think it's anymore racist then anywhere else in this country. I work with a lot of Native Black folks and Native white folks and they all get along just fine. In fact I lived in Northern Michigan for three months and I would say that area is a WHOLE lot less diverse and more racist than the Triangle region of NC.

This is not your grandfather's North Carolina anymore. The United States and especially the Southern United States have become a lot more diverse and transient over the years and I would not rely on old stereotypes anymore.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
What is up with people saying "such and such state is racist"? No offense, but that just sounds stupid if you think about it. It's like as soon as you get to the border people stop being racist?

There are racist people everywhere, but as far as the Triangle goes I don't think it's anymore racist then anywhere else in this country. I work with a lot of Native Black folks and Native white folks and they all get along just fine. In fact I lived in Northern Michigan for three months and I would say that area is a WHOLE lot less diverse and more racist than the Triangle region of NC.

This is not your grandfather's North Carolina anymore. The United States and especially the Southern United States have become a lot more diverse and transient over the years and I would not rely on old stereotypes anymore.

No offense taken, I probably should have put quotations around Racist. In Michigan where I am from there are alot of interracial couples but people still hold strongly to the old stereotypes.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This post should probably be moved to the North Carolina forum, since it is not about the Triangle specifically.

North Carolina is a great place to live. We moved here 3 years ago from Dallas TX.

I have not noticed any more racism here than any other town or state that I've ever been to.

Please do not move here without a job lined up in advance, or you may be going from the kettle to the fire.

I'm kind of already in the "Fire" Right now. I am near homeless. I'm sure I can find a job fairly fast Down in North Carolina. I went to south Carolina to visit and I found a job a day later. Anyone from up north will tell you that it is not like that at all in Michigan. It usually takes a few weeks before someone will even respond to an application, and thats even if you get the job.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:20 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
I agree w/ the other posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brifye19 View Post
I'm kind of already in the "Fire" Right now. I am near homeless. I'm sure I can find a job fairly fast Down in North Carolina. I went to south Carolina to visit and I found a job a day later. Anyone from up north will tell you that it is not like that at all in Michigan. It usually takes a few weeks before someone will even respond to an application, and thats even if you get the job.
The Triangle does have a lower unemployment rate than most of the state but please continue to do research! What's your field and experience?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
I'm sure I can find a job fairly fast Down in North Carolina
These could be "famous last words"...our unemployment rate is the highest it's been in decades. You've been warned.

What industry are you in? That's the biggest indicator of your liklihood in finding a job you can and want to live on.

As for the "racist" thing: You cannot possibly speak of NC as either a "racist state" or "Not a racist state" because it is very, very diverse (as are almost all US States). There are some very rural towns in NC that probably have a lot of residual racism, but the Triangle, Charlotte, and other big urban areas have a completely differrent mindset--isn't it like that where you come from? Do you really believe that all residents of a state think exactly alike on ANY issue?

NC did go for Obama in the last election, if that tells you anything, but again, there are some areas where you'll find some racism, some where you're much less likely to find it--just like 49 other states I could name. I don't know exactly what you had in mind by thinking it's a "racist state"?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,752 times
Raleigh is a great place to live. The entire triangle is pretty much diverse. There are so many different types of people here from all over the country. 25 years ago Raleigh was a different place. Don't buy into the "racist" stereotype. It's no more racist here than anywhere else. Good luck with the job hunt!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
I sent you a direct message Brifye19

Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
My neighborhood in North Raleigh is very diverse and you'd be welcome here.

Just be sure you can find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary