Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,219 times

Advertisements

How is the job market for a new college graduate with a B.S. in Business Administration? I plan on moving to Raleigh soon, and was just wondering what the job market is like. I am trying to find an admin/clerical position for a company. Since I have just graduated, I do not have alot of "real world" experience, so I am just looking for something to get my foot in the door. If anyone knows of any leads, please let me know! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
Put it this way...you'll be competing with other local grads in May from Duke, UNC, NC State, NCCU, Shaw, Meredith. The job market is slower than normal as it is. Throw all these other grads into the mix and I'd say you're in for a tough time.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM

18 posts, read 56,756 times
Well as someone that has friends all over the country, some job searching, i can tell you that you are better off here than most other major cities. It is still really tough though. Think about doing sales for a while,it will get you in the door. Or talk to a temp agency you could end up with a temp to hire job right now.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 PM

213 posts, read 698,202 times
This is a tech and healthcare heavy area, so the majority of the openings you are going to see are engineering or healthcare related.

I am a Finance major. I'm currently fortunate enough to have an occupation, though I'm not very happy with it, so I have been job searching myself and the pickings are VERY slim.

For a Business Admin major, I might recommend various Management Training programs that many retail companies are promoting now if you are interested, those may be your best bet here, although some may have a hiring freeze with this economy. I believe Target, Macy's, Lowe's, Sherwin-Williams may have them.

Good luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
It sucks.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:30 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,317 times
I would be leery of moving *anywhere* in this economy without a job already lined up, or unless I had at least 6 months worth of living expenses tucked away . . . or unless I knew someone in the area who was going to put me up for free.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,291 times
Check with Lenovo. Decent salary and health benefits. They are actively hiring right now. You can never go wrong getting sales experience. It only diversifies your resume further.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM

137 posts, read 656,655 times
I graduated for Univ. of Penn, and I'm still looking for a job since I moved here in September.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerEazy View Post
Check with Lenovo. Decent salary and health benefits. They are actively hiring right now. You can never go wrong getting sales experience. It only diversifies your resume further.
there's nothing on their website for Raleigh that is for anyone entry level. it's like 8 jobs total, some from january, and for like director of this and that...

Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 8,219 times
Thanks for the comments so far everyone. I appreciate them very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary