Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,875 times

Advertisements

I am going to probably ask a stupid question, but it really does matter to me.
I bought my house in Raleigh, but it really isn't Raleigh. It is off the 42, in between Clayton and Fuquay. My zip is 27603. When I am telling people where I bought, I don't know how to identifiy it. What would you veterans from around there call it??? South Raleigh????? I heard South Raleigh is inside the beltline, so that wouldn't be our house??

I am perplexed

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,076 times
While much of south Raleigh is in 27603, if your house is where I think you're saying it is, then it certainly is not in Raleigh. (This is why I hate whoever assigned zip codes in Wake county...they make no sense sometimes!)

You're probably actually closer to Garner than Raleigh, right? Sorta close to Wake Tech? I've heard people describe that area as McCullers I think.
But it ain't Raleigh, I can tell you that now.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
While much of south Raleigh is in 27603, if your house is where I think you're saying it is, then it certainly is not in Raleigh. (This is why I hate whoever assigned zip codes in Wake county...they make no sense sometimes!)

You're probably actually closer to Garner than Raleigh, right? Sorta close to Wake Tech? I've heard people describe that area as McCullers I think.
But it ain't Raleigh, I can tell you that now.
RR;
I knew you would be the one to help me out. I even said it to myself when I sent that thread.

If you take the 40 towards the beach, you hit 42, turn right and we are about four miles down the road, past the 50. Do you know where that is?? Why do they call it Raleigh??? I feel silly saying I live in Raleigh, when in fact, it really isn't Raleigh. I live near Willow Spring as well.

Liz

Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah, like I said, whoever drew the area's zip codes were a little crazy. Because of 27603's weird borders, you've gotten yourself a Raleigh address for postal purposes, but you're not in the city boundary, and you're just barely even in Wake County (from what you're telling me...or are you?).

Yeah, Willow Springs is probably the closest "dot" on the map to where you are, even if your address doesn't say it.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Yeah, like I said, whoever drew the area's zip codes were a little crazy. Because of 27603's weird borders, you've gotten yourself a Raleigh address for postal purposes, but you're not in the city boundary, and you're just barely even in Wake County (from what you're telling me...or are you?).

Yeah, Willow Springs is probably the closest "dot" on the map to where you are, even if your address doesn't say it.

Yeah, I think your right. Yes we are in Wake County, but just barely. So basically if I call the fire department does anyone come to my rescue???? Or does everyone point at everyone else and have a meeting on who is responsible for that area, as my house burns to the ground??

Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 PM

306 posts, read 1,192,449 times
Unhappy I know what you mean Liz

about city vs county boundries. Up here in Ventura County I remember a report on the news a few years ago that there was a 911 call to go to a house right near the edge of the city limits. Well the county, both fire dept. and sherriff said they were not responding because it was inside the city limits, but the city said that it was just outside the city limits and that the county was to respond and they went back and forth until the city told the county they HAD to respond because even if it was just inside the city limits the city WAS inside the county. So the sherriff and county fire showed up to a furious citizen. I don't remember what the orignal call was about I just remember the incident.

We are having a problem in Oxnard right now where on at least 4 seperate instances in the past two weeks there has been too many calls and not enough officers to respond to all calls and put some on the back burner. One that they did that to was a call that a man was punching a woman in the face in the parking lot of a restaurant. Another was a auto accident with no injuries. So I am thinking, why aren't the sherriff helping out the city police as backup since the city IS part of the county. I know they are short handed but??? We recently got a scanner and I am telling you it is scary to know all the stuff that is going on out there.

So, how is the house-selling going? Have you had an open house yet?

Char

Old 03-26-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Yeah, I think your right. Yes we are in Wake County, but just barely. So basically if I call the fire department does anyone come to my rescue???? Or does everyone point at everyone else and have a meeting on who is responsible for that area, as my house burns to the ground??
Well, you're not in ANY town's limits, so that part won't get too confusing (as some folks who live where Chapel Hill & Carrboro's borders get fuzzy will tell you). Basically, the county will be responsible for everything for you. If your area is as rural as I think it is, fire may be a voluntary department. Law enforcement will be Wake County Sheriff. And EMT/Ambulance will be county as well.
The only thing I'd worry about is make sure the person answering 911 knows exactly where you are...but with updated GIS systems they now have that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary