Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times

Advertisements

I must be in the minority because cost of living was actually less expensive where I used to live! But the job market had little to offer my husband (who only moved there to be with me), so we came here. We chose the Triangle over places like Chicago & San Francisco because we're not fond of huge cities. Besides, I visited NC when I was a kid & knew I'd enjoy living here.

One of my very favorite things about the Triangle is the tall pine trees. Last night after it rained, I went outside for a moment & the smell of the flowers & the wet pine needles was amazing. Moments like that remind me that we made the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
I realize that money is a major drive but I think what irritates me the most is all of these posts consist of the same thing. My taxes are too high, I can't afford where I live, my car insurance is too high, etc, etc, etc. Where are the posts that say, I like the community and feel that I can give something back to it. I think that by me coming here I can make it a better place and it's a good fit for me/my family as people (and not just on my wallet).

Exactly! I too see the same thing. " I have problems in my state, so I'm just going to go somewhere else instead of using my democratic right as a voter to fix it. But they'll bring those problems here anyway if enough of them flood in. Just watch.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Tip View Post
I realize that money is a major drive but I think what irritates me the most is all of these posts consist of the same thing. My taxes are too high, I can't afford where I live, my car insurance is too high, etc, etc, etc. Where are the posts that say, I like the community and feel that I can give something back to it. I think that by me coming here I can make it a better place and it's a good fit for me/my family as people (and not just on my wallet).
Great Post Q-Tip. Giving back to this great community is the most important thing we can all do to ensure it always remains a wonderful place to live. Well said indeed!

Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
It's true that many of the newbie transplants, and those contemplating relocation, initially consider coming to NC because the financial aspects of the move is really very attractive. Sad but true, many of us are bound by our financial obligations, and all the other materialistic stuff that we desire. But when it comes down to it, the intent is to provide a better lifestyle for our family (at least from what I've read on this forum). What's wrong w/ someone moving into your neighborhood that has those kinds of values ? I don't know if there's very many that are looking to move into this area to use and abuse the place, be rude and throw their money around...then leave for the next "hot" area.

Kinda like finding your mate. For the most part, it DOES start out as what you initially see on the outside. Seems very superficial. Then you get to know them, and fall in love. That's what we're hoping for our family...

Old 03-28-2007, 08:35 PM

106 posts, read 310,461 times
I lived here in NC for only about 2 weeks and I love it here already except that I cant find my way around alone yet..lol. The people that I have talked to are so kind here and polite. Not use to that from where I moved from. I cant wait to meet new friends.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 31,411 times
Not only is it the current housing costs (3bd 2 bath house in NH averages 225k) that makes NC attractive but its the WEATHER! Northeasterners are realizing they pay a pretty penny to be couped up for 5-6 months a year!

Just my thought We are currently researching the move to NC from NH. But very good points about if everyone moves to NC, the housing costs will rocket. This much like what has been happening in NH. High demand especially from MA population - so houses are wicked expensive.

From the research Ive gathered, the housing market nationally will see decline in Sept 2008. Im planning now

Old 03-28-2007, 09:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourownplace3 View Post

From the research Ive gathered, the housing market nationally will see decline in Sept 2008. Im planning now
If you've got that good of a crystal ball I am sure there are people from the government that wish to speak to you.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM

9 posts, read 31,411 times
I agree with you Q-Tip. Many of us in U.S. talk about people learning to speak English but we re-locate from state to state and impose ourselves versus respecting the current culture. I live in NH and we are considering the move to NC. For reasons such as I'd like a house with a yard for my little girl (and I will admit it for me too!) and I wont be able to earn that in NH. I'd also like her and I to have exposure to more culture within the school system and the community. I have lived in NH my entire life and have stayed here because of family. I have realized that we should decide what we (my husband and I) want for our family and do we really belong here in NH? We live in a small community in the middle of nowhere, with a lake and playground nearby, I am friends with my neighbors - all of them and I too wonder why the lady down the street didnt wave back at me when I pass by her house. Then again, I have family that come from Revere and Cape Cod MA and yep, they have harsh forward attitudes and perspectives on life.
Im hoping that if we do decide to move to NC, it will be because its a good fit. I truly think where you live is an expression of who you are.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_0037 View Post
I lived here in NC for only about 2 weeks and I love it here already except that I cant find my way around alone yet..lol.
I know exactly what you mean, Angel! I'm used to a grid system, so I got lost a few times at first. Frankly, it was quite terrifying! But then we got a GPS & it's been easy ever since. It's wonderful to know that I will always be able to find my way back home. It really encourages me to explore the area more.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:19 PM

106 posts, read 310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I know exactly what you mean, Angel! I'm used to a grid system, so I got lost a few times at first. Frankly, it was quite terrifying! But then we got a GPS & it's been easy ever since. It's wonderful to know that I will always be able to find my way back home. It really encourages me to explore the area more.
My fiance has a gps but he took it with him for work away this week. The gps though gives us wrong way home everytime..lol so i know now what road not to take though. I am gonna try to take a trip to the garbage dump to drop off trash and i am hoping i can find it..lol. my fiance told me basic directions but not sure. he believes it is on rt 56 but not sure..yikes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary