Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times

Advertisements

Current Watches, Warnings and Advisories for North Carolina Issued by the National Weather Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Thumbs up Be prepared!

I just got back from Kroger to get my supplies to wait out the storm tomorrow. I've got everything I need!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Well, so much for the big storm, another dud......knock on wood!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Default Verry Skeery

This thread does more to dissuade people from moving to the Triangle (or anywhere in NC) than any amount of "Don't move here without a job" admonitions.

Tornadoes are scarier than cockroaches and poisonous snakes to Yankees!

And imagine, we survived the weekend intact.

Most of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Keep an eye to the sky folks. Rough weather headed to the Triangle.

Thunderstorms, tornadoes might strike Saturday :: WRAL.com

Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I love thunderstorms, but it just may be that I've grown up with them all my life. Just heed warnings and you'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:49 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I love thunderstorms, but it just may be that I've grown up with them all my life. Just heed warnings and you'll be fine.
What warning would that be? When I was kid in Arizona, about age 6 we were visting some of my parents friends. Sitting on the coach was the grandmother of the family. A lightening strike came in through the roof, struck the old lady dead on, killed her instantly. I saw the whole thing.

I know it usually stirkes the highest conducting object, and staying indoors away from windows is a good idea. Unplugging stuff is nice too, but when that damn volt packing all that juice decides it wants to take you out, there aint much you can do to stop it. Wrong place at the wrong time and fate, is really what it comes down to. So go ahead, enjoy them storms all you like. I'll still crawl under my rock and hope for the best.

When we had those huge storms last fall, my neighbor sat out on his front porch drinking a beer and enjoyed the show. He tree in his front yard got hit spliting a large branch. He said he will stay inside during the next storm as it scared the crap out of him.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I keep an eye on the sky and radar. If you can find yourself on a map you should be able to follow the storm on the radar.

Some things are flukes though, but those are more the exception than the rule. You usually have more accidents from people swimming during storms, hiding under trees during storms, or trying to drive over a flooded road than you would a freak lightning bolt.

Also warning systems are much better nowadays.

Sorry about your friend's grandmother!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
During the next lightning storm or tornado watch/warning, I will hand out a printout of CarolinaCowboy's post below when I'm made fun of for hunkering down in the downstairs, center of the house, on the floor, away from doors and windows, with blankets, pillows, and three shaking dogs pressed up against me. (The dogs are no dummies.) I'd heard similar stories of a co-worker who had a lightning bolt hit the wall above her crib when she was an infant.

I once was standing next to someone (at a small company here in Raleigh) who was on the phone when lightning struck the line, and the current went through the phone and shocked her. Literally and figuratively. That was enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
What warning would that be? When I was kid in Arizona, about age 6 we were visting some of my parents friends. Sitting on the coach was the grandmother of the family. A lightening strike came in through the roof, struck the old lady dead on, killed her instantly. I saw the whole thing.

I know it usually stirkes the highest conducting object, and staying indoors away from windows is a good idea. Unplugging stuff is nice too, but when that damn volt packing all that juice decides it wants to take you out, there aint much you can do to stop it. Wrong place at the wrong time and fate, is really what it comes down to. So go ahead, enjoy them storms all you like. I'll still crawl under my rock and hope for the best.

When we had those huge storms last fall, my neighbor sat out on his front porch drinking a beer and enjoyed the show. He tree in his front yard got hit spliting a large branch. He said he will stay inside during the next storm as it scared the crap out of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary