Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM

75 posts, read 238,131 times

Advertisements

We recently ate there as a family, and I have to say it's pretty darned authentic: the food, the drink, the staff, and the service. Very German. Keep that in mind when deciding where to spend a night out.

A quick background on my family: My husband was born and raised in Germany until age 15. My in-laws still live in Germany, and we've vacationed there 3 times in the last 5 years. I'll be honest, I'm not a native German, but I think I have at least a *pretty* good grasp on the food and culture. I know a friggin German restaurant when I see one anyway. An American who has never been to Germany most likely does not. This review is for you especially.

This restaurant is expensive and authentic. Set your expectations accordingly. You will not be waited on hand and foot like a traditional American resturant. They are very pragmatic. Your drink will not be refilled immediately, but if you keep that in mind going in, and know to ask your waitress for a refill when you see her if you want one, you'll be fine. It's like this in Germany as well. The staff are very friendly however, and as long as you more or less know what to expect going in, you won't be disappointed.

The food is very good for German food. I realize wurst and sauerkraut not on the *top* of the list of the typical American palate, but it is tasty. Just about everything is made fresh. So if you want German food in North Carolina, this is as good as it gets. I know we occasionally get a craving for it since we don't eat German very often. The average American probably does not. This place is pretty expensive to just experiment with a new type of food.

I ordered a Currywurst and got a bratwurst. She couldn't understand me, but that's ok. It was still excellent and generously sized. It came with homemade mashed potatoes (not very German, but not unheard of there, either...I guess I was expecting kartoffelsalat) and I had a Spaten Oktoberfest. I was completely full about half-way through.

My husband had a jagerschnitzel and Spaten and said it was fantastic. The schnitzel was very generously portioned and came with sauerkraut and also came with a salad brought beforehand. I am not huge on sauerkraut, but he made me try it, and it *actually* tasted like cabbage and vinegar rather than the crap you find in the cans over here. I was impressed!

My daughter had a grilled chicken breast off of the children's menu. It was $8. That was the most "kid-friendly" menu item. She ate maybe one bite of it. I'm not sure I recommend bringing very young children here. I wish I knew that going in, and part of me thinks I should have guessed, but honestly I just had no idea. I had a bite of the chicken though and it was delicious. I don't usually peg my daugher as a picky eater, but it could have been a combination of the unusal atmosphere and 'adult' place setting. Also, her drink was in a full-size glass. She is two. They did provide crayons and a paper placemat though. No, I don't expect fancy restaurants to cater to our every need, and have small plastic cups at the ready, but this may be useful to other young families who happen to be reading.

Our total bill was about $70. That does include 3 entrees and and 2 litres of beer. I recommend this place for a fancy night out (only with your most well-mannered youngsters, if you must bring them) if you're just craving authentic German food, but not for casual dining or just to try something new. The price tag was hard to swallow even if I was seeing double by the end of the night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:25 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
great! i saw this restaurant on www.yelp.com last weekend and wanted to try it out, but the rain kept me home. we plan on trying it this weekend.

Mike

Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
i dont think 70 bucks for 3 meals and 2L of beer is really that expensive. in any event, i don't think i love german food, but now that i think about it, i've never really seen a german restauarant. we're hoping to go to Germany for Oktoberfest this year, so it'd be fun to get a little taste of what's in store. i think i'll have to venture into Cary and check this place out.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:04 PM

75 posts, read 238,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i dont think 70 bucks for 3 meals and 2L of beer is really that expensive. in any event, i don't think i love german food, but now that i think about it, i've never really seen a german restauarant. we're hoping to go to Germany for Oktoberfest this year, so it'd be fun to get a little taste of what's in store. i think i'll have to venture into Cary and check this place out.
In Germany, it would have been around $35. That's really the only thing I can compare it to I guess.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
I love this place. Just love it. I lived in southern Germany for just over 3 years, and this is some of the most authentic German food I've had since I've been back. I swear, I think they put CRACK in the bratwurst (er... I mean ... crackwurst), because I could go eat it every day and still want more. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary