Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 AM

27 posts, read 176,474 times

Advertisements

Yet another northerner here thinking of relocating to Raleigh. I'm flying down next week to check out the area. Any tips on places to check out? I'm interested in everything from bars to museums and I want to see as much as I can.

Oh, and I promise not to bring that crappy northern attitude I hear so many people complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Thumbs up Late response, sorry...

North Carolina Museum of Art on Blue Ridge Road is worthwhile. One of our favorites.

Check out Glenwood South area in Raleigh.

Walk Cameron Village, and get a good fish fry at the Village Draft House.

Walk Oakwood to see cool historic homes.

Visit the NC State Capitol building, from the 1840's. Visit the statuary on the Capitol Grounds.

Walk Fayetteville Street between the Capitol and Convention Center construction site. Many nicely restored old buildings mixed in with the new.

Check out some downtown condos, to see how it would be to live in the city.

Have lunch at Clyde Cooper's Barbecue, on Davie Street since 1938. I took a friend there today. He had never been and loved it.

Parks?
Umstead State Park for walking around.
Lake Johnson has a walking trail around the lake...about three miles.
Yates Mill County Park is beautiful, set on a renovated grist mill.
We like to make a sandwich and go to Apex Community Park, Cary's Fred G. Bond Park, or Lake Johnson to eat al fresco.

Restaurants in downtown Raleigh:
Clyde's again.
Napper Tandy's
Watkin's Grille on Wake Forest Road. Like Mama and Aunt Penny serving you serious down home thud chow.
Snoopy's for a hot dog.
Char Grille for local flavor.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually quite interested in living in the city. I'm not really in a position to buy a condo. Are there reasonably priced apartments downtown?

Old 03-30-2007, 06:24 AM

Dennis,
If reasonably priced is in the $600-$1000/month range, I think you have a plethora of options.
I.e., Cameron Village condos are lower rent and just absolutely a fantastic location. There always seems to be something on the market there. They are about 600 square feet 1 BR/1 BA, but $595/month is a good rent.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
MikeJaquish - nice post. Thanks!

That leads to this question: What exactly is "downtown Raleigh" ? Coming from US 1 in Wake Forest, how do I get there?

How to find Cameron Village?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Dennis,
If reasonably priced is in the $600-$1000/month range, I think you have a plethora of options.
I.e., Cameron Village condos are lower rent and just absolutely a fantastic location. There always seems to be something on the market there. They are about 600 square feet 1 BR/1 BA, but $595/month is a good rent.
That is insanely reasonable, especially for a downtown location. I'm from Philadelphia, and an effieciency in downtown Philly goes for a minimum $1000/month, usually more.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
MikeJaquish - nice post. Thanks!

That leads to this question: What exactly is "downtown Raleigh" ? Coming from US 1 in Wake Forest, how do I get there?

How to find Cameron Village?
Stay on US 1 south to 440 but pass the 440 Beltline and pass the US 1 exit. The road into Raleigh is now Capitol Boulevard, and you are "Inside the Beltline."

After a couple of miles you will see an exit for Peace Street. Take it. Go right on Peace Street.
This will lead you right into Cameron Village area.
Also, at that Peace Street exit area, you have pretty much entered downtown Raleigh.

Explore! Enjoy!

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
Please let us know how your visit/exploration goes.
My husband and I coming out from CA to do the same end of April

Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Please let us know how your visit/exploration goes.
My husband and I coming out from CA to do the same end of April
Sure, no problem at all.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
For more info on the "city living", try the Downtown Raleigh Alliance's website (downtownraleigh.org) and look around. They have a residential section with apartments, and such.
Also keep an eye on craigslist or the local Independent Weekly (indyweek.com) for individual rentals that pop up in/near downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary