Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 PM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

I think that price was only for the furnace. As I said, I have no details other than "15 seer."

I do need to get a few quotes so I have something to compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 07:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I think that price was only for the furnace. As I said, I have no details other than "15 seer."

I do need to get a few quotes so I have something to compare.
SEER is a measure of cooling efficiency, so I'm thinking that quote includes both. Furnaces have a heating efficiency rating "AFUE" that is expressed as a percent. The system I got has a 15 SEER A/C unit and 92.8% AFUE furnace. You might also see if there are any rebates available from Progress Energy or PSNC. I got $400 back between the two when my system was installed.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:23 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
SEER is a measure of cooling efficiency, so I'm thinking that quote includes both. Furnaces have a heating efficiency rating "AFUE" that is expressed as a percent. The system I got has a 15 SEER A/C unit and 92.8% AFUE furnace. You might also see if there are any rebates available from Progress Energy or PSNC. I got $400 back between the two when my system was installed.
Good point - I think Duke (formerly Progress) has rebates for a min. 15 SEER unit. We got them for our geothermal units (the SEER on those is near 28-30) also.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM

612 posts, read 1,279,674 times
I used A-1 Heating & Cooling on a referral from a co-worker about 7 years ago to get a new Trane gas pack. I think it was around $4,500 at that time. They did a great job too.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:57 PM

43 posts, read 86,762 times
3 years ago I replaced my dual zone HVAC with Trane. I hired Matson Mechanical who actually came recommended on this forum. The engineer who designed the replacement system struck me as very knowledgeable in the subject and didn’t try to push me for more expensive and higher rated SEER/AFUE models. Two other quotes from other vendors I got were for Carrier (the most expensive) and Goodman (very pushy salesperson). Trane was priced between the two. I went with the dual stage variable speed hybrid gas pack downstairs so the heat pump does the majority of work but on chilly nights and days (I think below 40) the gas furnace kicks in. Upstairs is just a regular two stage system because we use upstairs mostly at night and it wasn’t worth putting a fancier unit.
I can tell you that after three years I’m still impressed with Train and the install. My home comfort was transformed instantly and there are no more hot/cold spots anywhere in the house. My utility bills are lower by about 30-40%. Also, Trane has a huge presence in the Triangle area and you must consider the parts availability when shopping for a new HVAC. You can go with another HVAC maker that has limited presence here and when your A/C fails in August you may be looking at days or even weeks to get the right part.
Good luck with you decision because I know it can be overwhelming!

Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
3 years ago I replaced my dual zone HVAC with Trane. I hired Matson Mechanical who actually came recommended on this forum. The engineer who designed the replacement system struck me as very knowledgeable in the subject and didn’t try to push me for more expensive and higher rated SEER/AFUE models. Two other quotes from other vendors I got were for Carrier (the most expensive) and Goodman (very pushy salesperson). Trane was priced between the two. I went with the dual stage variable speed hybrid gas pack downstairs so the heat pump does the majority of work but on chilly nights and days (I think below 40) the gas furnace kicks in. Upstairs is just a regular two stage system because we use upstairs mostly at night and it wasn’t worth putting a fancier unit.
I can tell you that after three years I’m still impressed with Train and the install. My home comfort was transformed instantly and there are no more hot/cold spots anywhere in the house. My utility bills are lower by about 30-40%. Also, Trane has a huge presence in the Triangle area and you must consider the parts availability when shopping for a new HVAC. You can go with another HVAC maker that has limited presence here and when your A/C fails in August you may be looking at days or even weeks to get the right part.
Good luck with you decision because I know it can be overwhelming!
I'm a Matson fan.
And, I agree, Kit is great at specifying and explaining.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks I really like reading all your comments and advice. It is a bit overwhelming but I'm doing some homework and figuring some things out.

Keep your comments coming! I am learning from all of you.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm a Matson fan.
And, I agree, Kit is great at specifying and explaining.
Another vote for Matson/maximum mechanical. They were excellent and replaced an HVAC unit at my house. Kit and everyone else we came into contact with from this company were great!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:10 AM

Hi all,

An update for the forum. First thank you for all your assistance.

I selected Matson Mechanical to replace my entire system and they are out today with the first phase of the project. I did lots of homework along the way. Matson (Kit Ralph) spent 2.5 hrs with me, examining all parts of my system, ductwork, taking measurements, calculations, and working through my options with me.
I decided to replace my entire system as it's 25 yrs old and neither it or I are getting any younger. It was a no pressure consultation, and in fact I had Matson come out 3 yrs ago to work on one of my AC units and they were good and responsive then. At the time they said no reason to replace a system if it was working even if it was old and said just keep it maintained and run it into the ground, then replace when it dies. I appreciated that honest advice. And here we are 3.5 yrs later. kay:

Old 12-31-2013, 09:24 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hi all,

An update for the forum. First thank you for all your assistance.

I selected Matson Mechanical to replace my entire system and they are out today with the first phase of the project. I did lots of homework along the way. Matson (Kit Ralph) spent 2.5 hrs with me, examining all parts of my system, ductwork, taking measurements, calculations, and working through my options with me.
I decided to replace my entire system as it's 25 yrs old and neither it or I are getting any younger. It was a no pressure consultation, and in fact I had Matson come out 3 yrs ago to work on one of my AC units and they were good and responsive then. At the time they said no reason to replace a system if it was working even if it was old and said just keep it maintained and run it into the ground, then replace when it dies. I appreciated that honest advice. And here we are 3.5 yrs later. kay:
Ain't if funny how that "honest advice" thingie is always appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary