Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 AM

11 posts, read 38,627 times

Advertisements

We are retirees considering moving to the triangle area. My husband (fiddler and clawhanmer banjo player) will be looking for other old-time musicians to play with. Are there any regular jam sessions, or any clubs or coffee houses in the area where the musicians hang out?

THanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 12:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,196,060 times
I'm not sure of any ongoing jam sessions, but you might find them occasionally at the Broad Street Cafe in Durham: The Broad Street Cafe, Durham NC

Old time music/string bands/bluegrass is really big here, though, so i don't think your husband would have too much trouble finding musicians to play with.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM

338 posts, read 1,620,580 times
I'm not in the loop with this kind of stuff but I know that Zepp Music store in Wendell used to have open jam sessions on Thursday nights. I don't know if they still do that but I bet someone there could help you with your request!

ZEPP Country Music, Inc.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,698,181 times
They have bluegrass at The Original Q-shack in Durham on a weekly basis, and maybe he could speak with one of the guys there.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:46 PM

836 posts, read 3,472,047 times
You need to check out Pinecone, a nonprofit in the area that is devoted to "traditional" music. It puts on shows, but also has other services, such as "jam sessions". Here is there website: Welcome To PineCone! Celebrating Traditional Music in the Piedmont (http://www.pinecone.org/index.html - broken link)

Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,132,413 times
dunyana - Please be sure to post the information you find that checks out. I - for one - would love to drop by and listen to a jam session if it was open to the public!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM

45 posts, read 150,863 times
Maybe you should look at areas other than the triangle? Some great music and musicans are located at and/or near the foothills of the Carolinas, start with Asheville,NC.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,154,315 times
The places I know of are not in the immediate Triangle area, but can be reached with a bit of a drive. First is the Ridgeway Opry House, which is about an hour north of Durham: New Page 1

Second is the Bynum General Store, which is in Chatham County about 20-30 minutes from Chapel Hill: BynumFrontPorch - Bynum Front Porch 950 Bynum Road, Bynum, NC 27228 "Come Rock with Us" Â* About Us Rain Barrel Inf

Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 AM

273 posts, read 912,584 times
Default Bluegrass

My family went to the one near Fuquay Varina over the weekend (every Sat night from 7pm until) and had a fabulous time. Over 20 musicians, lead singers, and more played to a very grateful audience of about 100.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM

273 posts, read 912,584 times
Default All About Bluegrass!

My husband provided this supplemental info about the Triangle. Come play in the Triangle!

Try the beginning and advanced jams at Zepp's music in Wendell
Look for "instore events". Also some neat beginner clawhammer video
lessons! Search for Zepp Music in Wendell.
ZEPP Country Music, Inc.

There are 3 meetup groups in Triangle area; try the oldtime group in
Hillsborough NC. Search for "acoustic music" near Cary.
Moderator cut: url removed
2 Raleigh jams listed at

This organization is dormant, but still has a listing of local sessions.
Banjo in the Hollow - organization promoting bluegrass and old-time music Raleigh Durham RTP
Click on "calendar" and scroll down.

Visit the Shakori Hills Festival this weekend! April 19-20, 2008
Many excellent groups in a great setting! Lots of quick jam sessions to join in and learn. They feature events throughout the year. We have gone twice and loved it.
Shakori Hills

Oldtime music and resources online:

Also at the Bynum Store, Pittsboro General Store and more depending on how far you want to travel (Statesville, Charlotte, Crooked Road sites in VA). This list doesn't begin to list all the churches and neighborhood gatherings. There are so many places to play!

Last edited by autumngal; 04-15-2008 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: other forums not permitted please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary