Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM

183 posts, read 671,843 times

Advertisements

Ok, my understanding is that in NC, for the first year you live in a new home, the builder is supposed to warranty your home against any major structural/plumbing/electrical/HVAC defects....is that correct? In other words, if something comes up, they have to fix it in the first year...right?

Assuming that, I bought a new home from a local builder in September of last year, and recently noticed that around my front window in the living room, when it rains hard, water is leaking in at the top. Also, about 2 weeks ago, the upstairs thermostat (we have separate units for upstairs and downstairs) went completely blank, so I've had no heating/air upstairs...thankfully the temps have been mild. I've tried contacting the builder for 2 weeks and I'm getting no response. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I just call someone to come fix it and send the builder the bill? Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 08:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
I don't know that a builder is legally required to offer a warranty in NC, but regardless, those problems don't strike me as "major structural/plumbing/electrical/HVAC defects." More like minor homeowner maintenance items. The window needs some caulking. You could probably debate whether the thermostat is the builder's responsibility after 6 months.

Last edited by CHTransplant; 04-16-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 04-16-2009, 08:34 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,037,959 times
Did the builder give you a list of their contractors who installed those items? Our builder gave us a list of those people and we would call the people from the list and go from there. Is this a custom builder, or are you in a neighborhood that has an onsite agent as is a production builder? If it is custom, and you do not have the "list" of contractors, then yes, calling the builder is the way to go. Does the builder have an office, so you could call his assistant or anything?

Leigh

Old 04-16-2009, 08:44 AM

It's a custom builder, and they didn't give a list of the people who did the work. I guess I'll have to keep trying to track them down. I've been calling their customer service number (they're based out of Smithfield) and even left a message with the owner, but haven't heard anything yet. I've emailed as well...done what I know to do short of showing up at their office!

CHTransplant - Normally I would agree with you on that, but with a blank thermostat it can be something as simple as batteries being dead (this one doesn't have batteries) to something as major as electrical wiring within the walls. Also, with a leaking window, again, it could just be some simple caulking but it could also be that the window was installed improperly. After living in a home for only about 7 months, those are things that shouldn't be happening because there's barely been any wear and tear.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,948,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
CHTransplant - Normally I would agree with you on that, but with a blank thermostat it can be something as simple as batteries being dead (this one doesn't have batteries) to something as major as electrical wiring within the walls. Also, with a leaking window, again, it could just be some simple caulking but it could also be that the window was installed improperly. After living in a home for only about 7 months, those are things that shouldn't be happening because there's barely been any wear and tear.
I do agree - a good builder should be around after the house is done to take care of problems big or small. But if it's a builder that builds, leaves, and offers nothing more than a warranty against major defects, you may be out of luck.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:53 AM

Yep I researched this builder beforehand, and they've built many custom homes in my neighborhood, seem to have a good reputation. I'm just hoping that they are on spring break or something and will get back to me on Monday, hehe.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,497,548 times
Quote:

Check the fuse on the furnance for the house. Seen it happen before, the fuse has blown which powers the thermostat. Pretty easy fix, but there could be a bigger problem causing it. My dad's house had this happen when installing a new thermostat, and we had to go to the attic to replace the fuse. Typically a small blade fuse like is used in a car.

However I would try to get the builder/contractors out there, but in case you need a quick fix check into that.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:51 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,169,355 times
Did you actually get a warranty from your builder? What do your legal documents say?

Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,650 times
Well take it from me first hand.........even though you are told by the realtors/closing attrny's and others that the builder will warranty the home for 1 year they are not legally obligated to...

We closed this Jan and our builder has jumped ship........will not return any calls or emails and the one they did was when we were'nt home "OFCOURSE" and that was after and not so nice email....

We also got the subcontractors list and they will and have come in for certain things, but issues we've had with our yards grading/flooding issues, my front door, door bell fried etc, is the builders prob and now ours.....,

We were told from day one we had a warranty, now we are told that that warranty is only implied and not legally binding....,

The only way for me to get any recourse is to civally sue them get a judgement and once that doesnt get paid I can take my case to the homeowners recovery act and they may only cover the issues where the house had things not right at closing......meaning how the house's condition should have been at closing ie, grading issues.

All the things that are not working, need tweeking that should be covered under the warranty over the first year is not covered....

nevermind who will pay the legal fees....

So be forewarned.......just because you're told you get a warranty doesnt mean squat......funny how the selling broker/closing attrny all had the right answers b4 we closed now its all the opposite nevermind they dont even ret a phone call.....

I have to say I'm shocked at how certain things are handled here......we really dont have much recourse after spending all this $ and moving our family 500 miles.....

And yes we did our research also......we were told our builder was building in another state and his wife was handling things.......all was fine....not until we moved all our belongings and were stuck in a hotel for 4 days with no where to go did we find out there were issues.......now the builder has a couple million dollars worth of homes in raleigh and durham going into foreclosure.....

We bought his last home in this development and there were no outstanding issues for him in Johnston Cnty at the time of our closing......

I hope you have better luck than we are......

Suzanne

Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,596 times
Quote:
Ok, my understanding is that in NC, for the first year you live in a new home, the builder is supposed to warranty your home against any major structural/plumbing/electrical/HVAC defects....is that correct? In other words, if something comes up, they have to fix it in the first year...right?

Assuming that, I bought a new home from a local builder in September of last year, and recently noticed that around my front window in the living room, when it rains hard, water is leaking in at the top. Also, about 2 weeks ago, the upstairs thermostat (we have separate units for upstairs and downstairs) went completely blank, so I've had no heating/air upstairs...thankfully the temps have been mild. I've tried contacting the builder for 2 weeks and I'm getting no response. Am I going about this the wrong way? Should I just call someone to come fix it and send the builder the bill? Thanks for any input!
It sounds like your thermostat cut itself off b/c the system was getting overloaded. It's kind of a fail-safe mechanism. Try disconnecting the thermostat, and then reconnecting it again. This happens to mine sometimes, it just needs a simple reset. For ours, I can just pull it off, and then push it back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary