Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 AM

336 posts, read 1,495,809 times

Advertisements

how good are the chances of "getting into" a magnet school in durham county? i have seen a few houses that i like, but they seem to be in a school district that has a bad reputation. i would love for my son to attend a magnet school though, and i am wondering how big of a risk i would be taking by getting a house in a not so hot district, hoping that he would attend a magnet school?!?!? any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2 View Post
how good are the chances of "getting into" a magnet school in durham county? i have seen a few houses that i like, but they seem to be in a school district that has a bad reputation. i would love for my son to attend a magnet school though, and i am wondering how big of a risk i would be taking by getting a house in a not so hot district, hoping that he would attend a magnet school?!?!? any thoughts??
From my understanding as a relocator looking at Durham, it depends on the school and what grade your child will be in. For instance, my son is currently in 1st grade here in Portland. Our chances of getting him into 2nd grade at Morehead (the Montessori Magnet) is virtually non-exsistant. But I do think we could get him in year round magnet. (We've choosen not to because he would only have 3 weeks of summer this year while having to cope w/ moving 3K miles. This would not be a good combo for him.)

I would recommend calling the school and finding out how many spots they have open, are they gender specific, and how many applications do they usually get for those open spots, and do they weight the lottery for race or socio-economic factors, or etc.

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2007, 06:04 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,817 times
Or do what I did - don't look at the ones in less desirable school districts so you won't be tempted The homes are cheaper than the ones in NW, W, and SW Durham so they'll of course look more appealing. That way you have a fall back plan should you not get into a magnet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary