Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 08:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

For those who have relocated from big cities - do you miss your New York Times or Washington Post? What do you do for newspapers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I definitely miss the Washington Post. I get the News & Observer delivered daily, but there's no comparison. Most days it takes about 5 minutes to read at most!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakla View Post
For those who have relocated from big cities - do you miss your New York Times or Washington Post? What do you do for newspapers?
Eh - it's all online. So it's not like you can't get the content anymore. Newspapers always made my fingers black. If I browse online I only have to worry about my hands falling asleep.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
We have home delivery of the NYT in Portland and hope to have the same in Raleigh. It's just not the same reading the Book Review and Thursday's Home & Garden online (and the crossword). I don't care for our local paper -- too many ads and most of their stories are condensed versions extracted from the big city papers. And, when they endorsed the wrong presidential candidate in 2000, I cancelled our subscription. I read for free now. For some reason it takes forever to upload articles from the Raleigh News & Observer. We're going to subscribe and have it mailed. My parents were avid newspaper readers. Some of my happiest childhood memories are of sitting in our living room after church -- everyone with a section of the paper.

Last edited by tigerlily; 04-10-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: edited for typos

Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakla View Post
You can get most of them online....The NY Times can be delievered to your door in Raleigh and several book stores carry them as well.

Yes, Raleigh doesn't have yet a need for a paper of their size, but it's not like you have to give up your favorite new outlets. We area a smaller city....not off the grid.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
I don't like reading a newspaper online - I'll read a news story here or there, but I at least want to read the Sunday paper in hard copy. Call me old-fashioned!

The daily N&O is really a waste, but I got a good deal on the 7-day subscription. I'm also way too cheap to pay for delivery of an out-of-town newspaper though, no matter how much I miss the Washington Post!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Thumbs up agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Eh - it's all online. So it's not like you can't get the content anymore. Newspapers always made my fingers black. If I browse online I only have to worry about my hands falling asleep.
you can read the papers online, even view local news from your old hometown online as well. I read the News & Observer online for a good 10 months before moving here, just to see what was going on in Raleigh. I enjoy reading the papers online.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:44 PM

217 posts, read 800,155 times
I still need a Wed. and Sunday paper....for the ads and of course the most important reason to get the sunday paper...Comics IN COLOR!!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM

193 posts, read 245,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Yeah, I don't think that many people take the newspaper anymore.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 PM

161 posts, read 683,330 times
You can also get the NY Times at the Lowes Food supermarket in Brier Creek. Starbucks-off of Hwy 70 also has it. You will find it wherever you relocate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary