Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:56 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times

Advertisements

I am curious when people usually start wearing shorts and sandals etc. in NC. Up here in Massachusetts it is still warm clothes and coat weather and probably will be for a while. Because it gets so warm in the summer so people spend more time in air-conditioned places do they still wear shorts most of the time? I am so looking forward to shedding these layers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I was wearing them in Feb. but it is usually March. You can wear them all the way into Nov. So basically you wear pants here for about 3 months. If I get a really good tan,my tan marks are still there when I put my shorts back on.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
I am curious when people usually start wearing shorts and sandals etc. in NC. Up here in Massachusetts it is still warm clothes and coat weather and probably will be for a while. Because it gets so warm in the summer so people spend more time in air-conditioned places do they still wear shorts most of the time? I am so looking forward to shedding these layers.
Other then December to February (for the most part) you see many people and most kids in shorts on warm days.

My daughter has worn capris or light slacks a few days...but I doubt she'e worn jeans or cords for over a month.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:47 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,274 times
This fellow MA gal has shorts on as I type. Where in MA you coming from?

Old 04-03-2007, 05:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
I am curious when people usually start wearing shorts and sandals etc. in NC.
Um. . . like I've been wearing shorts, T-shirts, and sandals for a few weeks already. With your thick northern blood, you will probably wear them year-round for the first few years. . . . until your blood thins a bit

I never needed more than a polartec jacket this winter. I wore gloves in the morning for my drive to work because my steering wheel was cold.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
We are moving down to NC from Westborough, MA. I never really adapted to the cold weather up here as I am from the south of England which has very mild weather so I think the NC climate will suit me to a T.

I'll bring all of our winter gear with us but I hope we never have to wear it.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
I'll bring all of our winter gear with us but I hope we never have to wear it.
I spent the first 20 years of my life in Pennsylvania. I had probably close to 5 different jackets/coats depending on the weather. I then spent the next 20 years of my life in Texas. By the end of the first 10 years I had thrown out or donated to charity all of my coats and jackets. You can wear shorts all year round in TX. Now that we moved here I had to go out and buy the Polartec jacket for this winter.

Since you will pay for volume and weight when you move, I'd recommend that you donate all your parkas, ski clothes, etc to charity and just bring the windbreakers and light jackets. The charities in MA can give them to less fortunate people and they won't take up valuable closet space in your new home here in NC.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
We moved down from the mountains of Virginia last fall. We now live on the NC Coast, near Emerald Isle. We have been steadily moving south since we spent 17 years farming in Canada. My college years in Massachusetts so I can relate to you climate. My youngest daughter was born when it was -40 on our farm north of Fredericton, NB. It was -20F when our son was born in mid-March.

On the coast we have been in and out of shorts all winter. It's been rare that I even wore a coat, but I have noticed that I am getting a little wimpy. The thirties seem very cold, and the warmer temperatures don't bother me nearly as much as when we made our move from Canada to the heat and humidity of Columbia, MD. We are native North Carolinians and grew up in the fifties when air conditioning was rare even in North Carolina.

Today seemed to mark a special day here on the coast. I'm also a new Realtor® (http://coastalnc.org/realtor/ - broken link) and we have a caravan to see newly listed homes each week. Until this week all the guys had shown up in tan pants.

Today I was the only guy in pants. Everyone else had on shorts. I guess that "business casual" after April 1 on the Carolina coast is shorts. I may have died and gone to heaven since much of my professional life I spent wandering around Washington, DC in a suit.

My wife even commented that she might as well store my pants now that I have an excuse to wear shorts and sandals to work.

People are already out on the beach here, and on Sunday I was wading in the ocean waters which while still cool aren't that unpleasant for wading. In fact I saw some kids in the neighborhood pool yesterday.

There are people who stay in the air conditioning so much that they have a hard time tolerating the heat, but if you spend lots of time outside with a fair amount of it near the water. The heat isn't too bad, but that is easy to say if you live on the water like we do and have sea breezes much of the summer.

I often write about the coastal climate on my CoastalNC blog.

http://coastalnc.org/invitingwater (broken link)

Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
I quit wearing shorts in mid January, and resumed in mid February. This is compared to Michigan, where my season ended in November and began in march.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM

823 posts, read 3,921,565 times
If my neighbor is not wearing shorts here in PA, then I know the temperature is below 45. These PA natives have very thick blood!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary