Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 05:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BZee2Pee View Post
I'm astonished at the the level of denial most people in this area have to reality. I know some of you are zombies and actually believe it now, but the rest that say one thing out loud and do anotherin secret....shame on you!
That's true. I call 'em like I see 'em.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:10 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
I'm astonished at the the level of denial most people in this area have to reality. I know some of you are zombies and actually believe it now, but the rest that say one thing out loud and do anotherin secret....shame on you!
Truer words have never been spoken. Unfortunately, there are more and more people like this as time goes by. With the slant that the local universities have, we are drowning in people like this.

This is one of the reasons why Durham is the way it is. I just "hope" it doesn't spread to my neck of the woods. I can only run so far before I am out of the Triangle area.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
Are we talking 28 Days Later zombies? Or Night of the Living Dead zombies? Because if there's one thing zombies have demonstrated, it's an ability to thrive apolitically in either a city or the sticks.

BRAAAAAAAAAINNNNSSSS.........

Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 AM

130 posts, read 390,799 times
I wish I had a nickel for every Volvo driving professor that says one thing at a faculty meeting and then votes Republican when the curtains are drawn in the voting booth. There is something about having a mortgage that clears one's sinuses.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:57 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,662 times
OP's ORIGINAL POST:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
I'm a fairly recent immigrant from a large northern metropolitan area to the Durham area. Please! Somebody explain to me why so many City of Durham employees seem to be utterly inept at doing their jobs. Very often, when I've needed to deal with the City of Durham, the experience has been almost unbelievable! I've come to dread having to deal with them. They seem to have no concept of "public service", and often act like they consider themselves superior to members of the general public. Many people there don't seem to even be able to comprehend the spoken or written English language!! The City's Human Resources department personnel never return phone calls or voice mails, and they completely forget to mail things or do what they've said they will. The finance and billing departments make all kinds of errors. And then it takes forever to get a rebate or credit, if you even ever do. Then, if you're actually able to talk to somebody, "the check is in the mail"!
Someone, please tell me! What in the flock is going on with that place?
This seems to have gotten WAY off the OP's question/comment.... seems like it might need parts of it moved to a more politically focused topic... As another stated, most state/city employees are hired, not elected, so it has nothing to do with political affiliations... Can't we stay on topic, for a change? Peace..... here come the flames, I am sure....

Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 PM

130 posts, read 390,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumanurseNC View Post
OP's ORIGINAL POST:

This seems to have gotten WAY off the OP's question/comment.... seems like it might need parts of it moved to a more politically focused topic... As another stated, most state/city employees are hired, not elected, so it has nothing to do with political affiliations... Can't we stay on topic, for a change? Peace..... here come the flames, I am sure....

I guess you also believe you can get a job at UNC without knowing someone.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:12 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
BRAAAAAAAAAINNNNSSSS.........
You just nailed it. With the huge liberal slant in the local universities, they pump out brainless zombies that can't think each issue through logically and just tow the party line. These ignorant people continue to vote in people with failed policies, who then do the hiring for the city from the top down (which is the way crap flows, BTW). The result is what you see in Durham. High taxes and huge social issues that never get solved and very angry city employees who then deliver poor service. It's pathetic and will only get worse with time.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:51 PM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
You just nailed it. With the huge liberal slant in the local universities, they pump out brainless zombies that can't think each issue through logically and just tow the party line. These ignorant people continue to vote in people with failed policies, who then do the hiring for the city from the top down (which is the way crap flows, BTW). The result is what you see in Durham. High taxes and huge social issues that never get solved and very angry city employees who then deliver poor service. It's pathetic and will only get worse with time.
Liberal slant? Would this include Duke, who has alumni including Richard Nixon, Ron Paul, and Elizabeth Dole. Heck, even Coach K is a well-known Republican.

And NC Central? Did you know that Chief Justice John Roberts visited in March to preside over their Moot Court. Yes, so liberal.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:02 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,662 times
Quote:
I guess you also believe you can get a job at UNC without knowing someone.
I actually was offered a position at UNC in the Burn ICU (which used to be my background) when I moved here in 2005, and I didn't know a soul when I moved here... I just CHOSE to go elsewhere...... must be fairies that got me the job!!!!

P.S. I am also Republican, my parents are Democrat.... I vote for the BEST person for THE JOB, period....

Old 05-09-2009, 05:28 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I really wish you could post a more logical argument. Liberal slant? Ignorant people? I enjoy specifics, not hyperbole. Do you have examples or articles you could reference so we could use them for further reading?

Huge social issues? The crime is going down in Durham. Looking at the last two years, Durham has had less homicides than Raleigh. The creation of the DPAC and the revitalization of the American Tobacco Warehouse District is bringing in companies from every industry. I suggest reading the March 2009 Metro Magazine that offers many articles about its Durham cover story.

Before you use blanket statements and overgeneralizations to make your point, I know many people would enjoy examples instead.

Of course, I am quite sure this topic in the thread will (continue to) grow pathetic and will only get worse with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary