Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM

484 posts, read 1,366,824 times

Advertisements

oh yeah.. and i miss driving up and down topanga canyon and how cool and cute it was, the cute houses and than how the canyon lets out at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
I miss my old stomping grounds (Redondo, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach) terribly, and I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

36 posts, read 108,244 times
Oh man- the Vallarta Carne Asada. I still dream about it.... delicioso!

I grew up in Portland, lived for a few years in NY. Moved to LA with my husband and we lived there for 5 years. In the Valley. Oh man, how I loathed the valley in the summer! The last year we were there I was 7 months pregnant in July and not ONE day got under 100 degrees. I'm pretty sure that half of July 06 was 110+. INSANE. And yeah, we did live 12 miles from Malibu, but it took at least 45 minutes to get there. And it's a COLD beach.

The cost of living, the smog, the lack of tree's, the constant noise of people. Although I was sad to leave good friends behind to move to Seattle, I was more than ready to leave.

Now that I'm back in the Pac NW though, my dh and I are itching for a new adventure. We have a few really good friends in Durham and some friends on the coast. We came out last year to visit and fell in LOVE. Seattle is not really that much cheaper than LA, although we are able to swing living on one income here. But to be on the central East Coast and do all the American History stuff, meet some new people and learn a new way of life is VERY exciting for us.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:29 AM

72 posts, read 212,569 times
I think for me with mexican food is that the mexican food here is good, but I definitely miss "Baja" food. ie.. Wahoo's, Baja Fresh, La Salsa. I grew up in OC, Irvine, Huntington, Newport, Costa Mesa and San Diego and I miss the beach atmosphere and the beach "flavor". Definitely miss me some Wahoo's fish tacos and beans and rice. But I found one place here that does a good fish taco... so im ok

I still love it here and there are a few specific things I miss like the Art in Laguna Beach and the beautiful drives up and down Highway One or Balboa Park in San Diego, but with that came a lot of other things that I definitely did not like... so overall, I'll keep my good memories and enjoy my actual life out here, now that i can afford to have one

Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkitti View Post
But I found one place here that does a good fish taco... so im ok
May I ask the name of this place?

I lived within 5 minutes of a Wahoo's in both Rancho Cucamonga and San Diego, so I got used to having good fish tacos (with ahi rice and beans, of course) close by. Since I lived here before my time in SoCal and knew it would be hard to find a decent fish taco when I came back, I'm definitely interested in trying the place that you like!

Old 07-17-2009, 01:42 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times
Just wanted to throw in another perspective as someone who lived in Michigan and considered moving to both NC and CA. I don't mean to diss NC in any way, but when we first drove out there we had very high hopes. Thought it made more sense than moving to CA because of the cost of living. I don't know if it just wasn't enough of a change of scenery or what (being that we once lived in Virginia), but we felt disappointed and decided to follow our dream of moving to San Diego. We've been here about 10 months now and from the day we pulled into to town we've never looked back. It really turned out to be everything we were looking for, despite the cost of living. Sure, we had to downgrade the size of our living space, but who wants to be indoors all the time when you live in such beautiful climate all year? Oh and ditto on the bug thing. I am AMAZED by how few bugs I ever see. It's such a joy to eat outside! Anyway, while I do think there is a great deal of natural beauty in NC, and the cost of living is terrific, I don't think there is a city in the United States that can beat San Diego!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 AM

72 posts, read 212,569 times
hello - just replying to the person who was interested in fish tacos... there is a bar/restaurant in north raleigh off glenwood (behind the carmax) called Ben's Place. They do mahi mahi fish tacos, you get 2 decent sized ones (grilled or fried, i like grilled) and a side (i usually change the fries for a side salad) and it's about $8 or was last time i went there, it's been a few months. They have pretty good food all around. Also i just discovered a place called "North Bistro" in Durant that is owned by a couple californians and their fish taco was pretty good too, a little fancier fare (mainly seafood), had a avocado basil sauce on it that was really good, also kinda hidden. Hope you like it. But im going back to visit cali this month and im definitely hitting up wahoo's and rubio's

I did love living in San Diego, but after 22 years of southern california the traffic and crowds EVERYWHERE were a little too much for me, but it is a beautiful place to live and I especially loved being there when I was in school... there is a reason everyone moves there and if they hadn't I would still be there

Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 AM

90 posts, read 226,433 times
Haha this thread is hilarious! I personally detest Mexican food like with a burning passion that threatens to consume the whole world...lol! I also love good ole Southern cooking, so Durham's good for me, but I understand how you would miss California. It's certainly very different, and very beautiful.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkitti View Post
hello - just replying to the person who was interested in fish tacos...
There are (at least) a couple of places in Chapel Hill that serve fish tacos:

Flying Burrito:
Flying Burrito : Food for Thought

Margaret's Cantina:
Welcome

Old 07-17-2009, 09:19 AM

62 posts, read 204,116 times
I have never lived in CA but do visit several times a year since my in laws live in Seal Beach. The things I love about CA are the weather (near the beach anyway, much cooler) and the food. Char-O Chicken is awesome and they have really good Chinese food. But, I still would rather live in NC when you take everything else into account. The traffic alone would drive me nuts over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary