Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 AM

36 posts, read 74,577 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We just had a chance to visit both of these neighborhoods this past weekend. We liked both neighborhoods -- obviously Cary Park was more mature but Copperleaf seemed more quiet, and the lots were great. Prices of the places we looked at were fairly similar (700-850K range). Wanted to know if others had made this decision and their thoughts on both places. In addition, at the sales center, they had mentioned 540 or extension of some roads -- would that effect one of the neighborhoods more than another? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:53 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
I'm not certain about the 540 extension but Copper Leaf is one of my favoriite Cary neighborhoods. Great wooded lots, gorgeous houses with loads of amenities.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,133 times
As a former resident of Cary Park if I were in Copperleaf's price range I'd be there in a heartbeat.
A $750K plus home in a neighborhood (Cary Park) where the median home price is less than half that amount (about $357,500 to be exact) makes far less sense than a $750K plus home in a neighborhood with a median sale price of $829K.
Copperleaf is proof positive that people will pay for larger lots. The amenities are nice but not dazzling, but what drives that neighborhood's remarkable success is the 1/2 acre plus lot sizes in West Cary.
The sweet spot for price in Cary Park is under $500K. John Wieland is overbuilt and slashing prices (not to mention the ATROCIOUS lots that are left), the McNeill Burbank section has dropped in price, and the last couple of custom homes that have resold have not done well-some barely appreciated at all over a 7-8 year period. The people who have fared best in Cary Park are the early buyers of Orleans homes and those who bought early and sold in the custom section in '06.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:18 AM

513 posts, read 1,605,085 times
Hilliard Forest isnt too bad...Loyd builds a hell of a home

Old 02-11-2009, 06:33 AM

194 posts, read 490,749 times
I am glad you brought up Hilliard Forest. My husband and I were over there this weekend, beautiful homes, but it appears they are really hurting. Anyone hear any bad news on the developer?
Also, the pool facility is a must and the agent, flat out told us she can not guarantee that the builders will build the rec/pool area. Without the pool, I don't see how they can possibly get wht they are asking?

Any thoughts?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,356 times
I live in Cary Park and love it! I have driven through Copperleaf and while it is beautiful, I would be leary of moving into a new neighborhood given the economy. It will be a long while before it's built out and you will be surrounded by lots of construction traffic and empty houses.

I would have a hard time believing the PP about the average home value in Cary Park. I think once the condos and townhouses are excluded that number is probably higher. Currently, the lowest priced single family home on MLS is $290,000.

There are several houses in your price range on the market - on Lantern Ridge and a few on the lake. There is also the Cary Park Club with year round activities for parents and kids - making it super easy to meet other families in the neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:15 PM

Hilliard Forest will be fine I think. It says the pool will be opening 2010 i believe. The have to get enough homes sold to pay for the pool upkeep.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in NC View Post
I live in Cary Park and love it! I have driven through Copperleaf and while it is beautiful, I would be leary of moving into a new neighborhood given the economy. It will be a long while before it's built out and you will be surrounded by lots of construction traffic and empty houses.

I would have a hard time believing the PP about the average home value in Cary Park. I think once the condos and townhouses are excluded that number is probably higher. Currently, the lowest priced single family home on MLS is $290,000.

There are several houses in your price range on the market - on Lantern Ridge and a few on the lake. There is also the Cary Park Club with year round activities for parents and kids - making it super easy to meet other families in the neighborhood.
I agree with you and there is no direct comparison with a multi-range housing development like Cary Park and a very up market development like Copperleaf. Looking at the number of available inventory homes at Copperleaf I wouldn't be surprised if they are hurting big time with 17 inventory homes as advertised on the Copperleaf web page - and as a small local devloper set up for the Copperleaf development they most likely don't have deep pockets like Toll brothers or John Wieland to guarantee completion as originally planned.

Copperleaf - Inventory (http://www.copperleaf-cary.com/sub-inventory.html - broken link)

Also, as someone else mentioned earlier in this thread that the remaining handful of homes at the Southbridge development by John Wieland are on pretty poor lots (which are too small for the homes being built on them) the prices at around $650,000 represents significantly better value than Copperleaf.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:42 PM

36 posts, read 74,577 times
thanks all for the replies. The number of houses available at Copperleaf is a little worriesome, but the beauty of the lots is what is driving us. We will also look at Preston over the weekend, not sure if others have thoughts about it...Thanks all

Old 02-12-2009, 04:34 AM

There is going to be lots of inventory in every neighborhood. Dont let that bother you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary