Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

My wife and I took advantage of the holiday weekend and made a day trip to the beach at Emerald Island on Sunday. In the past we have gone to places like Wrightsville Beach which is closer, but we wanted to try something new. Being that we left on Sunday we hit no traffic on the way down. The trip took 2 hours and 45 minutes from our house in North Raleigh.

Parking was a bit difficult (to be expected since it was a holiday weekend and we did not arrive until 11:30). We spent about 20 minutes circling a free public parking lot and eventually got lucky and snagged a spot. There were vending machines, bathrooms, and hoses with water to wash the sand off your feet at this location. The beach was a bit crowded if you hung around the access to point from the public parking, but if you walked down a couple hundred yards it became quite private.

After a long day on the Beach we grabbed a bite to eat at a local place called Flipperz. It is a small place with an Island theme. It is located in a strip mall just a minute down the road from where we were at the beach and it seemed to be quite popular (there were several families waiting to get in when we left at 6:00). Good burgers and salads among several other nice choices (steak, catch of the day ect..). Decent prices for a place near the beach (although there have more expensive options they have a lot of salads and sandwiches in the $8 range). A great little place to grab a bite to eat before hittting the road back to the Triangle!

All in all we had a great fist trip to Emerald Isle. Here are a few pictures from our trip!

Map of our route from Raleigh to Emerald Isle

Heading out of the Triangle on I-40 (No traffic in sight on Memorial Day Weekend!)

Some of the Scenery along the Way

Getting closer to the bach!

Some pictures from the beach

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-25-2009 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Do they allow dogs there? I saw the 2 dogs in the pics, but didn't know if they were really supposed to be there. That would be cool! Nice pics NRG!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:09 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Thumbs up Purified by water

Thanks for the wonderful pictures! My wife and I can’t wait to start making our summer time pilgrimages to a beautiful little strip of ocean front located between Carolina and Kure beach. We usually go down midweek when there are so few people that we almost feel like we have the whole beach to ourselves; quite a change from the polluted tourist trap that is Ocean City back in our native state of Maryland.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Nice post and pictures NRG. What is the road like after you get off of 40? Country Highway or 4 lanes?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Great pics. You can also get to EI by going Highway 70 to highway 58 or my favorite is 264 to Wilson then take 258 to Snow Hill then pick 58 in Kinston staight to EI. Going to AB or PKS/Indian Beach just stay on 70 after getting off 58 in Kinston. Less traffic than going straight down 70 from Raleigh.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

I screwed uo on my directions slightly.And it is too late to edit. Take 264 to Wilson to 58 and then to 258 in Snow Hill to 70 in Kinston to go to AB/PKS/ Indian Beach. Or get back on 58 in Kinston to EI.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:23 PM

90 posts, read 327,126 times
Nice. We were there this weekend, just like every weekend

We usually take 40 to exit 373 just like NRG. Definitely faster, but just more interstate driving.
Coming home this afternoon there was a lot of traffic when you hit I-95, but before that it was fair.

When you exit 40, the road is a nice 4 lane road with pig farms on either side
Unfortunately the speed limit is only 55mph and there are cops out all the time...

Oh and the Town of Emerald Isle does allow dogs on the beaches - as long as you pick up behind them! (Oh, and they have to be leashed.)

Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM

222 posts, read 936,054 times
OMGosh how crowded! I much prefer another part of EI. Thanks for the pics and how nice to be able to make a day trip.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:06 PM

90 posts, read 327,126 times
Yeah that does look crowded, but it was because they were closer to the public beach access.
We prefer to stay on "Brissy Island" (name given by us, came from our dog's name)
(I believe it's the one highlighted yellow..)

Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty320f View Post
Yeah that does look crowded, but it was because they were closer to the public beach access.
Exactly. A short walk down the beach away from the public access point proved to be much more private with the crowd dwindling down to just a few people. Thanks for the map!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary