Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 132,045 times

Advertisements

50+ population~finding a great job in admin/reception/clerical field. Are there any terrific places to work if you are 50 or older? I have been looking for work for over a month, have great work ethic, not afraid to work and am dedicated, trustworthy and dependable (I sound like a puppy!!). I will be working until I die, God willing, but have never had such a tough time finding employment of my choice. People in my field work very hard and deserve at least $14 an hour, don't we? I do not want to work from home, I am not good in sales, I need a real job with benefits. I had left Raleigh briefly last year due to a personal family crisis. I have now returned and am ready to get back to work in the administrative and/or clerical field. I love working with and being of assistance to people. I have apps in all over Wake Co. Should I try going back to school with grant money?? change careers? I am afraid I have become discourged lately. Any good advice out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 01:12 PM

193 posts, read 245,133 times
A good admin is worth his or her weight in gold (not that they make that much ). I don't think that you should be discouraged after looking for work for only one month. I've read that a good rule of thumb is to expect to spend 1 month looking for a job for each $10k in salary you expect. In your case that would be ~3 months. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanadonna View Post
50+ population~finding a great job in admin/reception/clerical field. Are there any terrific places to work if you are 50 or older? I have been looking for work for over a month, have great work ethic, not afraid to work and am dedicated, trustworthy and dependable (I sound like a puppy!!). I will be working until I die, God willing, but have never had such a tough time finding employment of my choice. People in my field work very hard and deserve at least $14 an hour, don't we? I do not want to work from home, I am not good in sales, I need a real job with benefits. I had left Raleigh briefly last year due to a personal family crisis. I have now returned and am ready to get back to work in the administrative and/or clerical field. I love working with and being of assistance to people. I have apps in all over Wake Co. Should I try going back to school with grant money?? change careers? I am afraid I have become discourged lately. Any good advice out there?

Have you attempted the Agencies? such as Robert Half, Accountemps, Ajilon, to name a few. I would check those sites out. I am sure you are on monster.com, careerbuilder.com, hotjobs.com, but thought I would just put that out there. I couldn't imagine age being a factor for hiring or not hiring, if you have the polished resume, skills and experience, you will do fine. Hang in there.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:46 PM

425 posts, read 1,256,747 times
Have you gone to the Wake County School website? Some of their jobs paid pretty well, and you get reasonable benefits, time off, etc.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM

46 posts, read 132,045 times
Thanks for the input. Yes, I am registered with temp agencies, have my app in at the Wake school system, etc. I don't mean to whine, it is just that I have always been able to find work quicker than this time, and "think" I am experiencing some sort of difference in the whole procedure (I am not having many interviews) I think my resume is a good one, but will try harder to get it perfect. I am limited in that I do not like working with figures or money, have not done cashier work. I love working in an office setting and handling the day to day goings on. I am toying with the idea of going to school (I have no previous college) to become a teacher. I realize the pay is not the greatest (isn't that a big SHAME on someone), but I think my joy of being around children would be beneficial. If I want big money, maybe I can become a sports figure!!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
What about being a teacher's assistant or substitute teacher while working on your degree? Great experience and will give you insight into the schools and will give you lots of opportunities to learn on the job. Check with school districts to see what their prereqs are as some districts require certain amounts of college for subs, etc. (Of course, this might not be the best immediate solution with summer coming up. Maybe check with year-round schools?)

If you are really interested in working in education, maybe you need to expand your horizons and start looking at child-related and education-related jobs. If you do enroll in college, your college should have even more resources available to help you find student friendly employment.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:51 AM

425 posts, read 1,256,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanadonna View Post
Thanks for the input. Yes, I am registered with temp agencies, have my app in at the Wake school system, etc. I don't mean to whine, it is just that I have always been able to find work quicker than this time, and "think" I am experiencing some sort of difference in the whole procedure (I am not having many interviews) I think my resume is a good one, but will try harder to get it perfect.
The Wake school system is extremely slow in processing applications. It takes them approximately 8 weeks to process the original paperwork that you have to submit before you can work within the district. I applied for several positions during that 8 weeks then called after 5 business days to the hiring principal, or person listed on the Job opportunities listing. After accepting a job it still took several weeks before I could go to orientation and then start work.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 AM

9 posts, read 55,301 times
I would suggest omitting your dates of graduation on your resume and only go back 10 years for the employment history. I am 62 and plan to work for a long time and I am planning on moving back to NC and working. In the past I have found that these two changes on a resume will get you interviews. You are probably energetic, enthusiastic and bright as well as very experienced and organized and can probably do a better job than many in their 20's, but when you put your year of graduation and 20 years of work history on a resume, you probably won't get many interviews. Hope this helps. it sure works for me.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,212 times
Brilliant ideas Newyorker62! I'm going to pass these on to my young over 55 relative who was dreading the whole job search process. Thanks!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:40 PM

22 posts, read 111,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker62 View Post
I would suggest omitting your dates of graduation on your resume and only go back 10 years for the employment history. I am 62 and plan to work for a long time and I am planning on moving back to NC and working. In the past I have found that these two changes on a resume will get you interviews. You are probably energetic, enthusiastic and bright as well as very experienced and organized and can probably do a better job than many in their 20's, but when you put your year of graduation and 20 years of work history on a resume, you probably won't get many interviews. Hope this helps. it sure works for me.
Thanks so much for the hint! I recently turned 60 and in the past 20+ years I've only had 2 jobs - 7 years at the current job and 15 years at the previous one. Surely if I list both jobs, even though they total more than the 10 years, they would show my stability, etc. Any ideas? Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary