Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
You guys are being pretty mean to the OP. He started out with a question, and only answered honestly from his perspective, when asked why he was moving back. Not everyone loves NC and that's fine.

NC isn't exactly the progressive or 24/7 life of NYC. That's why some people like NC and why others don't. He spoke the truth, from his perspective, and if NYC is a better fit then it makes sense for him to go back, but there's no need for the nastiness!
You have to admit that
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNational View Post
Also, the people I dont like... they are slower, non-progressive,
is a pretty wide, sweeping generalization. Not to mention offensive. It's one thing to not like a place, it's another thing all together to paint everyone is the same negative light.

There are things I really dislike about this area, but I would never go so far as to make a "people here are X" (insert negative word for X) statement. Even though this area is not the hot bed of progressive politics that I loved in Portland, I've found many unique, endearing qualities to life and the people here.

I'm starting to believe that like beauty, happiness is in the eye of the beholder. Here's hoping the OP can find some happiness back in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,578 times
Best of luck and may you find happiness....sorry for your circumstances. Follow your heart. Ignore the haters.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:01 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,530 times
I can tell you to avoid ridgeway realty as a management company. They did not charge any setup fees and only wanted 10% of the monthly rent as their fee. Well, they didnt put much time/energy or money into finding any takers and was very reluctant to "manage" lawn care services or be an alarm contact for our unrented home. Clayton residentials may be a better overall management company, but I dont have personal experience with them.

We were going to go the rental direction before moving down here (we bought a home for the future). Our home sounds similar to yours. It was around this time in 2007 when things were still a bit better. We did not get much interest for our new home rental here. We couldnt keep the 2 mortgages going, so we sold our NY home (lucky to do so at the time) and moved a bit sooner than planned.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:32 PM

27 posts, read 80,477 times
Just sell it. The distance is too great b/w here and there to make it worth your while.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
People in NYC do dress much better.

Here is a Times Square webcam showing it is THE fashion capital:
Times Square Cam - EarthCam

On a more serious note, selling the house is a better idea. Renting out your home, regardless of whether or not you have a management company handling it or not, is a major headache. I speak from vast experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
LOL!

We are also sticks in the mud (which is probably the reason for our lack of progression.) We apparently can't dress either:

//www.city-data.com/forum/9117744-post20.html

Old 06-04-2009, 02:03 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,213,762 times
Quote:
So what is a more appropriate response?
Gee, how about none? He explained why he wanted to go as a lot to do with missing family /etc too but some of you just blew right by that and God forbid anyone criticize precious NC Some like it, some don't, what's the big deal? They're entitled to their opinion and should be allowed to state it w/o the petty personal attacks and general catty BS.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Some like it, some don't, what's the big deal? They're entitled to their opinion and should be allowed to state it w/o the petty personal attacks and general catty BS.
His opinion: the people here are backwards, non-progressive, and dress like sh**.
My opinion: What a tool!

Now we've all expressed out opinions.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 AM

18 posts, read 25,699 times
Good thing is I have thick skin (another NY'er trait) and I can sit here and laugh. If you got offended by anything I just said well then guess what... You are all of the above... If you didn't then congrats!!

Also, for the people who dont have lives and must go back and find everything somebody types... have you ever heard of umm... I dont know a change of heart... What I thought I once wanted I dont want anymore. A generalization may not be the polite thing to do but majority rules... I work with the people I described. Some of the ignorant things I here just make me laugh and sit in utter disbelief. I dont like you, you dont like me... great lets move on... I'm a busy person...

Once again, 8 months ago I said I was playing with the idea of renting my house out... why would that be... been playin with movin back... Good area not for me right now... 8 months a lot can happen...

Seriously, good place to raise a family but for somebody like myself... not the place to be... I have learned that after time... for all the nasty comments where is the southern hospitality huh?

Get over it folks... its the effin internet...

For those that actually had some info... I very much thank you!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM

271 posts, read 700,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Could you type slower? I have trouble reading. Meh, never mind; I'm too busy breathing death.
Thats the reason I wanted to get the Heck out of NYC. I was sick of it

Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmom View Post

i'm starting to believe that like beauty, happiness is in the eye of the beholder.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. If you think people are nice in a certain place, they will be. If you think a place is boring, it will be. If you think people are slow and not progressive they will be. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary