Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:19 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,668 times

Advertisements

I have an upcomig trip to Denver the later part of May and was wondering can anyone tell me a bit about the city and some of the things to see and do? Seems like there is a lot to do.

I will be staying just outside of Downtown. And will be there 4 days. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,841 times
Hi!

I'm from Colorado Springs, but we go to Denver several times a month for fun! Tell me more about what you would like to see/do...museums, theater, shopping, ages of any children you are traveling with and I'll share whatever I know!

Old 04-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Yeah, Definelty the museums and shopping centers/malls. Not so much the theater. What about this Elitch Gardens Place, is that fun? I'm 23 so maybe that will narrow it down a bit. Is the mass transit good there?

Old 04-12-2007, 12:39 PM

49 posts, read 232,086 times
Default Denver Native!

Hi Trendsetter-

I was born and raised in Denver. If you like museums...The Denver Art Museum is a premiere museum and in the process of doubling in size with a new wing designed by Daniel Libeskind. There is also a Musuem of Nature & Science in City Park. We also an Aquarium near downtown as well.

Some other places to visit
The 16th Street Mall-a mile-long pedestrian promenade lined with outdoor cafes; LoDo (Lower Downtown)-Denver's hip downtown historic district with more than 90 sports bars, brew pubs, jazz clubs and restaurants;City Park , a 300+ acre park that houses the City Zoo & Musuem of Nature & Science, and I think the Botanical Gardens as well.

Elitch's is a Six Flags brand amusement park in downtown...I have not been to the park since Six Flags took ownership and moved the park downtown, but certainly loved it as a kid.

Mass transit is decent (better than Raleigh) you can easily get around Downtown and to major attractions via the bus. Shopping centers, at least the newer ones, tend to be a little distanced from downtown. You will have decent access to shopping in Cherry Creek (~North Hills area in Raleigh).

If you have time, transportation and the inclination, do take a trip to the mountains. They are not far from the city and it is a BEAUTIFUL trip.

Hope this helps...let me know if you need anything else. I am happy to share about my home town!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:44 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,841 times
The above poster gave all great advice! 16th street mall is great for your age...you'd find a lot to do (and eat!) there. We like to stroll the shops and have lunch at the ESPN Zone.

The Denver Museum of Nature and Science is wonderful, and there is a zoo right next door if it's a nice day and you are interested. The museum has an IMAX with several different shows.

Cherry Creek mall is great, as well as Park Meadows. But Park Meadows is a bit far away from your hotel location.

The Museum of Art...fabulous!! I really wouldn't recommend the aquarium...it's nice and everything (we've been many times) but it's a bit pricey for the hour it will take you to tour. Maybe not for one person though...I tend to think of numbers times four for my family!

I'm not sure when Elitches opens for the season. You can check their website to find out. We usually go once a year and enjoy our time there.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:43 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
We just moved from Boulder. I would suggest taking a day trip there, rent a couple of bikes and tour the city. Also, put on your hiking shoes and go to Chatauqua. There is an abundance of hiking trails. Don't forget to go to Pearl Street Mall. Let me know if you want any info on Boulder. I'd be happy to help.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:50 AM

30 posts, read 104,088 times
I would agree the Art Museum and Sciences museum are fantastic....as far as Elitches goes, I never really cared for the place. In my opinion, it rates slightly above a county fair (so not really worth the money). I would also recommend taking a day to go up in the mountains. Rocky Mountain National Park is really only an hour and a half to 2 hour drive from Denver. If you don't want to drive that far, Boulder is beautiful (GO BUFFS!!) and you can get a mountain feel and a young, college vibe from the city all in the same place. Also, I'm sure there may even be a ski resort or 2 still open, especially with all the snow they've gotten this year!
One more thing to check into is Red Rocks Ampitheatre. I loved this place (was actually married there) but I believe everybody should experience a concert at Red Rocks at least once in your life because you will NEVER forget it!!
I hope this helps!!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:11 PM

Thank you all so much for your posts. Greatly appreciate it. Looks like Denver is loaded with things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary