Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:03 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Just wondering what everyone does to manage their budget. Groceries, clothes, entertainment, eating out, and anything else to save money?
The answer is simple. We moved to this area. That saved us a boatload of money every month from where we lived. It is so cheap here in the cost of housing, property taxes, utilities and having so many things so close saves on fuel & wear & tear.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-16-2009 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: no personal attacks or flaming will be tolerated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:18 PM

225 posts, read 574,927 times
Great thread, I'm trying to cut costs now that I have to deal with a pay cut through the end of the year. I second using CVS card and checking the savings online. I've gotten some amazing savings at CVS. I actually got $30 off a box of nicotine patches - the little machine amazingly spit out a coupon for $25 off, and I used $5 extra bucks. But, I ended up quitting cold turkey anyway which will save me the most money.

Manufacturer's coupon plus extra bucks plus item on sale anyway is a great thing.

I also save by making sure to take as few extra trips in the car as possible because gas is outrageous again. Whatever I can do on the way to something I do.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:47 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
Quote:
Just wondering what everyone does to manage their budget. Groceries, clothes, entertainment, eating out, and anything else to save money?
i spend a few hundred a week on beer, wine, restaurants, bars, and shopping. i don't think i'm any help. but if i had to cut back, i'd say i'd start with any of that.

Edit: actually, i take a van pool to work now, so i should save about 150 bucks each month.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
Same as what you do in Florida. Sorry to be a smartass, but there's nothing regionally specific here in regards to managing their budget and saving money.

But to be helpful, I do buy any things online, and when I do, just Google "company name" + coupon code, and there are sites that list the codes for various online coupons - you know, when you checkout there's always a space for a coupon or gift certificate code. I always save at least 10% or free shipping. It's always best to know what you want though. For me it's seeds or garden stuff (and no, Logans and Homewood doesn't carry them).

Last edited by autumngal; 06-16-2009 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: calling out Moderator is a big no no, please, read the rules

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Same as what you do in Florida. Sorry to be a smartass, but there's nothing regionally specific here in regards to managing their budget and saving money.

But to be helpful, I do buy any things online, and when I do, just Google "company name" + coupon code, and there are sites that list the codes for various online coupons - you know, when you checkout there's always a space for a coupon or gift certificate code. I always save at least 10% or free shipping. It's always best to know what you want though. For me it's seeds or garden stuff (and no, Logans and Homewood doesn't carry them).

Sometimes there are different places or things that we may not have in FL.
Thanks everybody for the ideas.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Is H-T's triple coupon day the same "day" of the month (like, last Weds,or whatever) every month? I always forget to check until I'm on my way home and need something from the store.
You can sign up for H-T's e-mail alerts, which will tell you when the triple coupon thing happens.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:56 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Do they send coupons in the mail or in the newspaper for local restaurants or pizza places. The ones that are buy one, get one free meals? Do the store flyers get sent to your mail box?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:42 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
After thinking on this one long and with a bit of optimism which is hard to come by these days I proclaim the best answer I can give is..... To live for tomorrow!

Now to elaborate on that. We all get caught up with living for today, advertisers program us to, Retailers EXPECT us to, and why not?

Well for one reason there are always rainy days in ones life. Having a little something for tomorrow certainly helps! Prudently spending ones hard earned money today makes tomorrow dividends.

The best way to save money in any economy is cutting up ones credit cards. Without those crutches one can walk and even trot through stores knowing what they buy is affordable, needed, and lasting.

Secondly is coupons...cut them till you have blisters, Sunday N&O usually has coupons on Band-aides to cover up the blisters so cut cut CUT you way to savings! Oh yea almost forgot......see a penny on the ground pick it up! it still takes 100 of them to make a $1.

Thirdly, drive to the gas station that is a few pennies cheaper. Even @20G per week at $0.03 per G less you save over $31 a year! ...and we all know from here to there anywhere in the triangle is at least 20 minutes of driving!

Buy a McDonald's Coffee and pass on the Star bucks. If you buy just a cup of day 5 days a week you could save over $500 in a year!

Pack that brown bag lunch of left overs! You do the math if eating out for lunch everyday is $5 to $7 per day!

Things you intend to use around the house like tools etc., yard, or garden, look to Craigslist and buy a used one. Better yet look at the 'FREE' section of Craiglist. I am always amazed at what people give away if you go pick it up. Plus as an added benefit you help the environment by reusing something someone else may have thrown into the landfill!

There are literally 1000's of ways to save a penny! Happy savings!

Old 06-17-2009, 06:47 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Do they send coupons in the mail or in the newspaper for local restaurants or pizza places. The ones that are buy one, get one free meals? Do the store flyers get sent to your mail box?

Yes, yes, and yes. All the ways you have stated come our way!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM

387 posts, read 1,028,501 times
I visit a forum website (similar to this one) all about procuring goods at the lowest possible price. I'm sure that posting the name of the website is a TOS violation. Instead, I have pasted an About Us excerpt below.

Founded in 1999, xxxxxxxxx.xxx is a free, user-driven deal sharing site with a mission to provide consumers an avenue to collaborate and share information in order to make the best shopping decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary