Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what everyone does to manage their budget. Groceries, clothes, entertainment, eating out, and anything else to save money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,521 times
Make an exact budget for groceries monthly. When you do this, take that exact amount out in cash at the beginning of each month. Only pay cash for groceries: this way you can't over spend because if you run out of cash...you will be clearing out and eating out of your pantry the rest of the month and this will teach you to stay within your budget. Don't buy softdrinks. We only buy milk and juice. Besides that we drink water out of our Brita filter. That took some time to get used too, but now I prefer water over soda! We also do this with eating out money. Also, only order water with out to eat meals. We only use a cell phone and have no land line. We have a newer TV, so we only have basic cable and get some digital over the airway for the basic cable price. We don't have enough room right now for a home gym, but if we did..we would do this instead of paying a gym membership. When I cook soup, casserole, or other things I can freeze, I double the recipe and freeze the leftovers for a quick meal later. We also cook at home often instead of eating out and we pack lunches for lunch at work. Clip coupons in the Sunday paper. In addition to basic cable, we get blockbuster online (similair to Netflix) which is $12.00 a month. We get 2 movies per week and this makes up for the movies we don't get to see with basic cable. We only go to the movies during the day when it's cheaper. We use coupons for restaurants too (they usually automatically send these to you weekly or monthly in the mail.) We usually do a lot of things considered entertainment for free, such as community tennis courts, walking on greenways, playing frisbee, Enjoying local festivals and free parks/trials. Biking on greenways.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
I do basically the same thing I did when I lived somewhere else. I didn't buy what I can't afford and I found activities that were entertaining that didn't cost a lot of money.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:04 PM

76 posts, read 219,977 times
It is really simple.
Live within your means. If you would have to buy it on credit - you don't need it.
If you can pay cash for it (and you have money in your savings just in case) then you could probably get it.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
I'm a big coupon shopper. Most people see Harris Teeter as the most expensive grocery store in the area, but with sales and coupons, they're actually the cheapest. They're doing triples once a month now as well. I like to go to savvydollar.org to keep track of local sales.

In the summer, our movie theater in Apex does free kids movies. Those are a big hit. We rarely eat out, but when we do, it's with a coupon. TGI Fridays right now has a BOGO free coupon out, plus kids eat free, so 4 of us eat for the price of 1.

To the above posters, I'm sure the OP knows how to live within your means. I think she's referring to what specifically in the area help you do that.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:17 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
hulu.com and the public library

Old 06-16-2009, 02:44 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,716 times
  1. Only shop for things you NEED. Don't get snookered into "trying" new products just because there's a coupon.
  2. Many times stores (mostly grocery and drug store chains) align their sales with coupons from the Sunday paper and rebates. For example, a P&G product may be on sale at CVS and they are offering ExtraBucks plus there's a coupon in the paper. You almost get it for free.
  3. Watch and track sales ads. Many have a 12 week (3 month) cycle. And buy enough of the really great deals to get you through until the next sale. for example, I found LOL butter (which is the brand I always buy) for half price, plus there was a coupon so I calculated the amount of butter I'd need to last me until it went on sale again in 12 weeks.
  4. Visit websites of product families you buy. P&G sent me a coupon book for the year good for $250 off. Some coupons are worth $3 off.
  5. My dog eats Hills dog food so I went to their website and got $8 off a bag of food. The vet was stunned.
  6. Take advantage of rewards programs. for example Regal movie theatres offer points for purchases and certain days of the week where you can get a free popcorn.
  7. I don't carry cash (because I'll spend it) but I have a cash back rewards Visa that I use for everything from groceries, gas to utilities and tuition. I pay off the bill monthly and I can earn hundreds of dollars each year.
  8. If you like to go out to eat join OpenTable.com. For every reservation you fulfill you earn points. Points can be redeemed for discounts on meals. We go out with others and I always volunteer to make the reservations because I get the points.
  9. Check out ebay for coupons. For the cost of "shipping" I got 5 coupons for $10 gift cards at a local retailer.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
I do basically the same thing I did when I lived somewhere else. I didn't buy what I can't afford and I found activities that were entertaining that didn't cost a lot of money.
Yeah seriously.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I'm a big coupon shopper. Most people see Harris Teeter as the most expensive grocery store in the area, but with sales and coupons, they're actually the cheapest. They're doing triples once a month now as well.
Is H-T's triple coupon day the same "day" of the month (like, last Weds,or whatever) every month? I always forget to check until I'm on my way home and need something from the store.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Is H-T's triple coupon day the same "day" of the month (like, last Weds,or whatever) every month? I always forget to check until I'm on my way home and need something from the store.
Nope, it's unpredictable, but is usually leaked online a week or so in advance. Lately, it's been running for an entire week and it's been towards the end of the month. They do double up to $.99 every day though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary