Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:45 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,816 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
For those that can give any insght to our situation it would be very much appreciated. Our daughter is 16 yrs old and is finishing up her sophomore year here in a NYC public school. We have two younger girls ages 4 and 5. We are trying to figure out the best way and time to relocate to the above area (s). Our 16 yr old will be a junior in Sept. She does extremely well in school (honors) and is very involved with JROTC and band. She is not opposed to move in time for college, however the thought of us moving after her junior year has her very upset. I have been made aware that when she starts college, to qualify for NC resident tuition, we have to be residents there for one year. So she may have to go to HS in NC and we may have to move earlier.
I want to make the best decision for all of us, and for my older daughters education. I have read that the schools are on half year blocks too, which we don't have in NYC. Its 8 periods a day all year long here.
Has anyone relocated with teenagers? Anyone have teenagers in HS that can share with me? We are willing to look at other areas and counties if it means a better transition for our teenager.
We will be down there in 3 weeks!!
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM

292 posts, read 820,792 times
Honestly what difference does another person's opinion make? THe only person who really matters here is your DD. If 10 people respond that they moved and it was great, but your DD goes off and hates you, the state and everything else....what difference do those 10 opinions make?!

Second, you've only been posting about a move for a couple of months. What was your college plan 6 months ago? If you move here after her senior year and have to pay in-state rates for a year, it's not such a big deal. As you've stated before this is not the primary reason for your move - your current nabe is. Were you going to send her to SUNY? Or what?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,851,052 times
be sure the base hs for the homes you look at have ROTC. Or maybe email or call wcpss and ask if she could go to a hs with ROTC. Not all of them have it, and if you are looking at newer Wake Forest or Rolesville subdivions, which are assigned to Knightdale HS, you will not get it.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:27 PM

Riddle,
I guess you didn't like my asking for someone to share with me their experiences. I find I enjoy reading this board and about others who have been down this road before me. My daughter is sure to get a scholarship and had been talking about the University of Wake Forest. We weren't sure where she would go, just that it wasn't going to be The College of Staten Island. Why did you ask about SUNY?

Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM

646 posts, read 2,052,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
Riddle,
I guess you didn't like my asking for someone to share with me their experiences. I find I enjoy reading this board and about others who have been down this road before me. My daughter is sure to get a scholarship and had been talking about the University of Wake Forest. We weren't sure where she would go, just that it wasn't going to be The College of Staten Island. Why did you ask about SUNY?
First, be aware that Wake Forest University is NOT in Wake Forest. It's amazing how many people make that mistake.

And it's not that anyone dislikes your question, but it's sort of broad....what are your daughter's actual concerns?

Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 PM

We actually knew the University of Wake Forest isn't in Wake Forest, LOL. My concerns are how the teenagers adjusted.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:29 PM

646 posts, read 2,052,245 times
Quote:
We actually knew the University of Wake Forest isn't in Wake Forest, LOL. My concerns are how the teenagers adjusted.
We moved here when my daughter was younger, but she has friends that are more recent transplants. Most have just jumped right into things.

Really, it's up to your child how they adjust. It's really that simple. If she is engaged in things, wants to make friends and be a part of the school community, she will do fine. If she wants to mope and not take advantage of what the area offers, then she's going to be miserable.

Chances are they aren't going to be the new kid for more then a couple of weeks at most (often days in the elementary schools), and there is no stigma attached to it ....because most of the kids have been there themselves at some point.

Really...what are your specific concerns?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,848,737 times
Quote:
It's actually "Wake Forest University", not "University of Wake Forest" (you can call it "WFU" and people will know what you mean).

They are a PRIVATE school, so in-school tuition is irrelevant; it costs the same no matter where you're coming from. Only public colleges in the UNC system have in-state tuition rates.

I can definitely understand why she would not want to be "the new kid" for her SENIOR year of HS and maybe not even for her Junior. Again, since WFU is private, in-state status wouldn't matter on tuition. How are you so certain that she will get a scholarship, BTW?

And, I don't have kids in school so I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of schools that are not on the "block" system by semesters. Again, I could be wrong, but someone should probably answer that who knows for sure, if it's something that's bothering you.

Last edited by Francois; 06-15-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 PM

292 posts, read 820,792 times
Quote:
. My daughter is sure to get a scholarship and had been talking about the University of Wake Forest. We weren't sure where she would go, just that it wasn't going to be The College of Staten Island. Why did you ask about SUNY?
Then I guess I am even more confused. I brought up SUNY because you asked about "in-state" tuition rates and seemed concerned about qualifying for that. Seemed like you were interested in a state school.

Now you state that your DD is "sure" to get a scholarship AND you state that she is interested in Wake Forest, which is private and not subject to in-state rates. So...like I said...confused - and judging by other responses I'm not the only one.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,435,027 times
Scholarships are tough to get in this day and age. One of my closest friend's daughter wanted so badly to go to NCSU's landscape architecture program. She was accepted without any problem but her going there depended on scholarship money. Granted, she is from out of state but graduated 3rd in her HS class of more than 500, GPA 4.5 (several AP classes) and scored well over 1400 on her SATs. No scholarships available, they were told it is due to the economy. Allie so loved the school and was quite disappointed but plans on going there for grad school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary