Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:03 AM

59 posts, read 138,527 times

Advertisements

So glad to see rescue suggested. There are so many animals waiting for homes!

Many people want a 'reputable breeder' and don't really understand what that entails (showing to a championship so it conforms to standards, certified health testing for genetic diseases--generally in things like eyes,heart,hips,thyroid (not just a vet check), pedigree research and knowledge and more!). And if by chance they find out, they don't want to put the money out there for a puppy created from a dedicated breeder, when the 'random backyard breeders' pups are cheaper. Afterall, they did zero work and put zero dollars into creating a sound litter.

There's SO MUCH more to a reputable breeder, than having '2 beautiful loving dogs' and a litter of cute puppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:47 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
I believe there is a purebred Boxer in the Wake County Animal Shelter right now:

AJ #20939 Gorgeous, Purebred BOXER girl at Wake! (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pet/1239692493.html - broken link)

Yes, this dog is still at the shelter. A rescue just picked up an AWESOME gorgeous female boxer from the shelter just the other day too!

Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 AM

70 posts, read 324,881 times
Thanks for the replies. I am certainly not opposed to the idea of adopting a rescue dog. I guess my concern is simply that I really want a purebred boxer (not a 3/4 rottie, 1/4 boxer, etc.) and want a a pup.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I've always adopted adult dogs - my latest addition was 7 when I got her, and she'll be 11 in December (and she's the most playful and crazy dog I've ever had!). The youngest I've adopted was just shy of 2 years old. Puppies are cute but only for a relatively short time compared to how long you'll have the dog. I think it'd be tough to find a reputable breeder amongst all the backyard breeders/puppy mills - good luck!

Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 AM

I do appreciate the advice regarding adoptions. But, does anyone know of a reputable breeder?

Old 06-27-2009, 09:04 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak View Post
I do appreciate the advice regarding adoptions. But, does anyone know of a reputable breeder?
I think people are giving you the hint that they aren't going to share that information with you, even if they have it.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Maybe try someplace logical like...

Tar Heel Boxer Club ?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Reputable and breeder do not belong together, maybe that is why you're having trouble finding an answer to your question. Buying a dog from a breeder is similar to wearing a fur coat these days.

Mike

Old 06-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Reputable and breeder do not belong together, maybe that is why you're having trouble finding an answer to your question. Buying a dog from a breeder is similar to wearing a fur coat these days.

Mike
That's absurd. Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:55 PM

225 posts, read 574,705 times
Quote:
That's absurd. Thanks for your advice.
I agree, my dogs have been rescue dogs but I have no problem with a TRULY reputable breeder who shows their dogs, has all health testing done, breeds from champion lines, doesn't do it to make money, and does it only (ONLY) to further/better the breed.

Having said that, you can definitely get a purebred boxer through rescue and that WCAS link does seem to be the real thing. Maybe call about her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary