Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 AM

106 posts, read 310,461 times

Advertisements

Yikes. It is so windy out there. I had to tie my garbage pails to railing, motorcycle cover flew off, something is banging real loud on rook but went out n could not find what it is. Afraid something is gonna fly thru windows. geesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 AM

110 posts, read 332,537 times
Do people in NC have "storm shutters" for their houses? Like Florida.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:27 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhouse View Post
Do people in NC have "storm shutters" for their houses? Like Florida.
On the coast they do. In the Triangle? No.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:39 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Thumbs up exactly...what basement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's ironic that the tornado weather alerts urge people to go to their basements - what basements??? We tried hard to find a home with a basement and the realtor kept saying "we don't really have that many basements...basements are hard to find...you'll have to buy a much older house...you'll have a wet, damp, moldy basement... and besides, we don't have that many tornados in this area..." So, here I am, for the second time (maybe third time, maybe more - I've lost count) in the last few months, ready to grab my fur-kids and dart into my interior closet for refuge at a moment's notice.
too funny...I thought the same thing...what basement? This is my first Spring here, so I don't know what a "normal' weather pattern is here yet...lol...I heard tornado and went into a panic...lol...but it's all good...I am learning...

Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Oddly enough, when I was living in Tornado Alley I knew of very very few homes with basements or storm shelters. We were instructed to find shelter on the lowest floor of the building in an interior room or closet with no windows. A bathroom is even better because the pipes add aditional support to the walls. When I was little I rode out many a stormy April afternoon sitting in an empty bathtub with my mother & a radio. I have also seen a fair number of tornadoes in person (2 at once on a particularly memorable occasion!) and I've survived unscathed.

Remember that there is a huge difference between a tornado watch & a tornado warning. A tornado watch means that the storm may produce the conditions that may result in a tornado. However, a warning means that the storm is definitely showing evidence that a tornado is possible (tight cloud rotation spotted on radar) or when a tornado has actually been spotted. When you hear that your area is under a warning, it's time to go to that designated safe area.

Here's a website with some tornado safety tips. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/safety.html
Some of this may sound scary, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you just follow these simple tips, you have an excellent chance of riding out the storm just fine.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Trader Joes was closed when I went to shop today. Power outages. DH flew out at 11am I am sweating waiting for his call that he landed safely. The wind was so bad that my SUV was all over the place. If this keeps up I doubt I will be sleeping much tonight. I am terrified a tree is going to come crashing through our roof!

Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Hey, since I now own a house in Raleigh, do you think I could be so unlucky that my house would be destroyed in this storm you are talking about??
I mean, it is sitting all by its lonesome, chillin' waiting for us to come live in it. I hope there isn't a tree through its roof, and water snakes swimming in my tub???

Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Liz, there's an excellent chance that your home is just fine. We had a lot of rain yesterday, but that's gone now. Today it is quite windy ( ~20mph winds from what I hear). It's enough to blow over some lawn chairs or maybe break off some dead tree limbs. But I seriously doubt that there are snakes swimming in your tub.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Thank you Mrs. Steel;
I was kinda being silly, but part of me keeps wondering if the weather is something that could do damage.

Liz

Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Liz, there's an excellent chance that your home is just fine. We had a lot of rain yesterday, but that's gone now. Today it is quite windy ( ~20mph winds from what I hear). It's enough to blow over some lawn chairs or maybe break off some dead tree limbs. But I seriously doubt that there are snakes swimming in your tub.
Heck, the entire house could be blown down and I doubt there would be snakes in the tub!

You are right about the chairs though....I had to go secure mine off the upper deck.

There was a tree blown over in Wake Forest this morning....blocked a little side road and may have damaged a car (I was driving by)...but even those gusts aren't enough to blow over a home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary