Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,946 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Cary and looking for some direction as to great schools with great resources for my son with PDD-Nos. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM

84 posts, read 370,922 times
The Mariposa School. My son went there for 1 1/2 years and just recently graduated as he is doing so well. He is now 4 1/2 yrs old. Mariposa is expensive as it is one-on-one Verbal Behavior Therapy. Also contact the TEACCH organization and get on their waiting list. We got on the list 2 years ago when we moved here and he is just started seeing them this month. And it is FREE! Find a great speech therapist (paid through your health insurance) if that is an area your child needs help. Ours here in Fuquay Varina has seen him since we moved here and I really feel she has been instrumental in his success in all areas. She would visit him at Mariposa and at his typical preschool. Does your child have an IFSP or an IEP? We also send our son to private OT and PT as he doesn't qualify for services on his IEP anymore (you have to be really bad off to get them). I just want to continually keep my son up to speed skill-wise with other kids his age.

Good luck! Feel free to ask me any other questions you have. BTW, my son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at 20 months old and was non-verbal then. Now he never stops talking! ;-)

Old 10-28-2009, 08:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,946 times
Thanks so much for the information. I found a home in Cary which will filter into Davis Drive Elementary. My little guy is 10 years old and in 4th grade. We are doing really well in Indianapolis and I am so fearful that the relocation will cause difficulties for him. I would love to get in touch with you when I move after Christmas.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
There is a phone number for someone at Wake County Schools that will help you with this.

Even though your base may be Davis Drive, they may decide that another school is better for your son. They will only send him within 5 miles of your home. Believe it or not, they do this based on what is best for your son! I have had clients with Autistic kids and they have been very pleased.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary