Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

One minute all was calm, next minute there was a torrential downpour with flashes of lightning and wind gusts so strong it blew over my patio table and sent my umbrella flying down the street! Just got back for retrieving it. My empty 55 gallon rain barrel filled up in about 3 minutes! Crazy! I think it is heading towards Wake Forest. Heads-up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I love summer in NC...when it involves thunderstorms. Sure keeps things exciting. Stay safe and enjoy the natural fireworks.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
I was in downtown Raleigh about 15 minutes ago when it blew through. Needless to say I came straight home, and it was all over with by the time I got home (also in downtown Raleigh). It was intense!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 PM

121 posts, read 410,658 times
Default Hit by lightning !

Yep, it was nasty. Hit our house. Blew a hole in the roof and did some damage to the siding. Hit about 20 feet from our bedroom. Loudest noise you could imagine. Firefighters said we were darn lucky that it didn't start a fire.

Thankfully everyone is alright. Lost phones, internet, satellite, and at least 1 flat panel.

I was just bragging to my friends up north how great the weather has been. That will teach me to rub it in.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
chapel hill got zilch. we need rain badly. NRG where did you get your rain barrell and have you heard about the pillow you can put in your crawl space or under your patio? Guarantted not to leak and seems like a good plan if you don't have a place for a rain barrell.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:50 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncwannabe2 View Post
Yep, it was nasty. Hit our house. Blew a hole in the roof and did some damage to the siding. Hit about 20 feet from our bedroom. Loudest noise you could imagine. Firefighters said we were darn lucky that it didn't start a fire.

Thankfully everyone is alright. Lost phones, internet, satellite, and at least 1 flat panel.

I was just bragging to my friends up north how great the weather has been. That will teach me to rub it in.
Ouch!!

Thankfully, indeed, that everyone is all right.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:56 AM

100 posts, read 242,995 times
where did you get your rain barrell

Call the town of CH to ask them if they are still offering, they usually sell them every spring: Town of Chapel Hill : Contact Us

OR try to get one from Durham: Durham County Government : Items for Sale

These are the best types, for the best price;

Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I was in downtown Raleigh about 15 minutes ago when it blew through. Needless to say I came straight home, and it was all over with by the time I got home (also in downtown Raleigh). It was intense!
I was at Cashmere last night enjoying half priced martinis. I was about to leave when it started. Oh well....had to have another and wait it out until I could walk home dry!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
One minute all was calm, next minute there was a torrential downpour with flashes of lightning and wind gusts so strong it blew over my patio table and sent my umbrella flying down the street!
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
chapel hill got zilch.
Weird, I had no idea there had been storms last night. All was calm and bright in Chapel Hill. I need to get out more!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
chapel hill got zilch. we need rain badly. NRG where did you get your rain barrell and have you heard about the pillow you can put in your crawl space or under your patio? Guarantted not to leak and seems like a good plan if you don't have a place for a rain barrell.

True we got zilch in Chapel Hill but the light show off in the distance was amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary