Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,452 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently looking to relocate to the Raleigh-Durham area from Chicago. I have lived in the Chicago area my whole life and am looking for a warm climate now because I am tired of the snow. The Raleigh-Durham area has plenty of healthcare jobs available and that is a huge plus for me. I am looking to work at a teaching hospital and have heard good things about Duke's Healthcare network and also WakeMed. Any suggestions on a good teaching hospital that is hiring RN's?

Also, I am going to be visiting the area in late August to get a feel for the area and to map out possible neighborhoods to live in. I live in the suburbs in Chicago but enjoy being able to shop and dine-out in the city. I also enjoy the live-music scene. Any suggestions on which area to look into?

I will be in the Raleigh-Durham area for about a week and need to get in as many sights as possible to narrow down my areas to live in. I am looking for areas for 25-35 year old professionals.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, ideas or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 107,612 times
Huh. I just replied and it didn't post. Hope this won't be a double post. anyway, I said that when I lived in Durham, we lived in Duke Park which is about 1 mile east of Duke University. It is a mixed bag, but our neighbors were nice and we liked it. I have some friends that live in housing additions near the Eno River. Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 07-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: advertising and soliciting are not permitted as per the forum rules please

Old 07-06-2009, 08:02 AM

24 posts, read 54,131 times
Welcome to the Triangle! What a great area to come and relax and still enjoy the 4 seasons! Just not the cumbersome cold and snow... You are correct in that Duke & Wake Med are excellent places, but you may also want to check out Rex hospital too. There are quite a few online places to search for health careers. You might start with Triangle Jobs | Home

As for places to live there are many good choices - depending on your price points and interests and whether you're looking for a detached home or townhome/condo. Most folks find employment first and then house hunt around that location. All the best to you in your upcoming move! You won't be disappointed!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,950 times
UNC is also a teaching hospital in Chapel Hill

Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM

21 posts, read 67,352 times
Default we have something in common

Hi. I have relocated to Raleigh from Chicago after living in Chicago for 12 years. I also work in the healthcare field and I am in my early thirties. North Raleigh is a really nice area and there are lots of restaurants and shopping, etc. It happens to be the most expensive part of the city, but rent prices are still lower than Chicago. (I lived downtown). Duke is a great hospital, and so is UNC. Chapel Hill is beautiful but I think you may want to be closer to Raleigh-Durham. Rex is good, which is part of the UNC system. There is also the Duke Raleigh hospital. Hope this helps. BTW, I don't miss the 40 below winters at all!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 PM

675 posts, read 1,833,963 times
For a live music scene, you can't beat Chapel Hill. Unless of course you're looking for strictly cover bands, in which case bars everywhere have those.

For your station in life, career field and what you're looking for (which is very similar to our situation and what we were looking for when moving here), I really think you should look into the SW Durham area. It puts you in a location equidistant and close to both UNC and Duke, which are the premier teaching hospitals. Also, the cost of living is very reasonable. PM me if you have any more specific questions or need more information.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM

Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkalmer View Post
Hi. I have relocated to Raleigh from Chicago after living in Chicago for 12 years. I also work in the healthcare field and I am in my early thirties. North Raleigh is a really nice area and there are lots of restaurants and shopping, etc. It happens to be the most expensive part of the city, but rent prices are still lower than Chicago. (I lived downtown). Duke is a great hospital, and so is UNC. Chapel Hill is beautiful but I think you may want to be closer to Raleigh-Durham. Rex is good, which is part of the UNC system. There is also the Duke Raleigh hospital. Hope this helps. BTW, I don't miss the 40 below winters at all!
This is great info, thanks. I have been looking into the distance between the hospitals and to see the areas like 20 mins away in any directions. I'm sure the traffic is a piece of cake compared to the Dan Ryan traffic during rush hour. This past winter was the worse in years and it just pushed me right on my way out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary