Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM

85 posts, read 297,292 times

Advertisements

sorry to beat a dead horse but

ok here is the deal i live in michigan cant wait to leave but i have a few questions about the difference between wake county and johnston countyand durham county schools

1. in michigan kids go to school from sept to june i understand in wake county thats not the case but is that all of wake counry or certain parts and do kids in durham county where durham is go to school on a set schedule or do they move around every year like they do in wake and go all year round

2. i've heard kids in clayton ie johnston county go to the same school year after year but do they go to school all year round or only fall to summer

3. are there apts for 2 bedroom pool and playground under 700$ in clayton or the raeilgh durham area that is low crime and child friendly

4. how far is clayton from raliegh 25 minutes or 45 minutes

5. i am afro/american and gay so wuold clayton be a good fit for me or should
i stick to the big city

i've been thinking about the move for so long that i'm just going to do it

but i would like my child to go to school 9 months out of the year and go to her nieghborhood school

i have a child that will be in 1st grade in the fall so what is the age requirement for that some schools in different states say 5 some say 6

the reason i ask is i dont think many people realize that if u aren;t from nc u do know the drill and i hate it when people who do live in the raliegh area get upset when different people ask questions u have already seen

maybe someone just discovered this forum and dont know these things and if u are moving to a new place with no family or friends to guide or help u u tend to ask a lot of questions

so for those of u who wnat to help please do and for those who dont keep ur sarcasm and negativity to urself

remember i have no freinds or family in nc so all info will be apprecitated thank u

Last edited by autumngal; 02-27-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: changed title to topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM

i forgot to mention in michigan schools are run by each city not the county or the state

Old 02-27-2008, 07:45 AM

932 posts, read 1,275,515 times
1. in michigan kids go to school from sept to june i understand in wake county thats not the case but is that all of wake counry or certain parts and do kids in durham county where durham is go to school on a set schedule or do they move around every year like they do in wake and go all year round.

There are those who think reassignments cause kids to go to a new school every year. That is not the case. on rare occasions it happens, but the schools TRY to keep that to a minimum. Lots of threads on it...and lots of opinions. Wake has great schools, all around, and the parents mind the school changes more than the kids! Some schools are year round, others are not. depends on where you live and your base node.

2. i've heard kids in clayton ie johnston county go to the same school year after year but do they go to school all year round or only fall to summer.

Again, depends on the school. Johnston county has not expereinced the fast growth that Wake has, and as such does not have as many redistricting issues.

3. are there apts for 2 bedroom pool and playground under 700$ in clayton or the raeilgh durham area that is low crime and child friendly

Probably, but I'm not sure. Raleigh and Clayton definitely (though in Raleigh you will have to look a bit- some rental rates have skyrocked!)- in Durham you'd most likely want to stick to southern Durham and I am not sure of rental rates there.

4. how far is clayton from raliegh 25 minutes or 45 minutes

25 minutes unless you hit traffic

5. i am afro/american and gay so wuold clayton be a good fit for me or should i stick to the big city

You might feel more comfortable in Raleigh or Durham, but Clayton has changed a lot and is more open than it used to be.

i've been thinking about the move for so long that i'm just going to do it

but i would like my child to go to school 9 months out of the year and go to her nieghborhood school

Don't move anywhere in Wake COunty thinking your child will attend school there forever.

i have a child that will be in 1st grade in the fall so what is the age requirement for that some schools in different states say 5 some say 6

They just changed the birthday cut off- I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone will chime in

We are always more than happy to help, but using the search feature will save you LOTS of time! Especially on issues like the schools- there are SO many threads about it, and we all get tired of beating a dead horse, so to speak.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 AM

thanks for the info nice to know but does anyone know of any nice apts in west clayton near or in the cleveland area i've heard it has nice schools, etc and am i correct in saying that all of clayton doenst go t o school 9 months out of the year only a few and can i get a list of schools in clayton that are 9 month please and a list of apt complexes or townhomes i wont be buying a home anytime soon

Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 AM

1 more thing what is the difference between east and west clayton and is htere a summer program in clayton for the kids like day camp and is there s swimming program at the rec center my kid loves to swim

Old 02-27-2008, 08:43 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,109,831 times
You should look at all parts of Durham, not just southern. Northern Durham has some outstanding schools and is quite nice, plus it puts you much closer to downtown. You can even find some areas in central Durham that are zoned for good schools, and if not, there are magnet programs you could consider. Being black and gay, I think you'll find you fit in much better in Durham than in Raleigh, and certainly much more than in Johnston County.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 AM

Default thanks

what area is considered northern durham and are the schools in durham 9 months with no redistricting if so then i'll look there but the school issue is my number 1 concern except for crime and i've heard theres lots of crime in durham so can u steer me to an area that doesnt have so much nad apts and a swimming pool and child friendly thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,109,831 times
Durham's public school system is on a traditional calendar and the only redistricting that might occur would be due to new schools or overcrowding, but not to balance economic diversity each year as is done in Wake County's schools. There are a few year-round schools in DPS, but most are traditional. I consider northern Durham to be north of I-85. I'm not familiar with apartments in Durham, however I can tell you that most of Durham's crime is highly concentrated in the east-central part of the city. If you do some searches on this site, you'll find that Durham's crime situation is overblown and the crime rate is actually lower in Durham than in many other comparably-sized or larger cities like Greensboro, Winston-Salem and Charlotte. It just happens that Durham has the highest crime rate of the Triangle area cities, so it gets a bad rap.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM

thanks for the info now instead of only looking into clayton i will look into durham as well

Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM

823 posts, read 3,925,323 times
I think the schools can be pretty good throughout the Triange, but geographically, this area is very spread out. I'd try to figure out your work and commuting situation early in the planning so you can minimize gas and after school care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary