Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM

133 posts, read 424,848 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking for a cool cake for a 3 year old's party, but is also yummy. Looking for a bakery that does batman, robots or possibly some 3D work. This is for a young boy's birthday. Would like the bakery to use butter, not margarine and natural ingredients. Any help out there as we just moved to Raleigh and haven't been to any bakeries yet. Looking forward to doing some research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
Susie just made a birthday cake for my daughter. It was great! Here is her website: Susie's Sweet Creations | Custom Cakes for Every Occasion

Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,643 times
The best tasting cake, and cheapest (value-wise), you will find is at Costco. Even the employees of the RollyPolly/LittleTykes/LittleGyms say they are the best when we bring them in and they try it. They don't do any extravagant designs, but they will write on them. They feed 40+ easy, and are ~$18(?)- I really should know this, I just bought one a month ago, but it's right around there.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM

635 posts, read 1,616,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
The best tasting cake, and cheapest (value-wise), you will find is at Costco. Even the employees of the RollyPolly/LittleTykes/LittleGyms say they are the best when we bring them in and they try it. They don't do any extravagant designs, but they will write on them. They feed 40+ easy, and are ~$18(?)- I really should know this, I just bought one a month ago, but it's right around there.
They are $16.99 for a 1/2 sheet. Does indeed serve 40+. There are not many designs to choose from though, and it sounds like the OP is looking for a specially shaped cake, but for those needing a standard sheet cake, Costco does indeed make good ones at a great price. Same price as a Kroger cake for a 1/4 sheet in fact. Though Kroger actually makes really tasty cakes as well surprisingly enough!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Though Kroger actually makes really tasty cakes as well surprisingly enough!
Yeah, as long as you get an English speaker to take and fill your order. I've had 2 very bad experiences with the Kroger on Maynard and High House. In one case the wrong flavors & colors were used. In the other, they actually wrote gibberish names with frosting because they didn't understand English well enough to get the names "Pamela" and "Tony" right. I quit trying after 2 strikes.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,440 times
My wife and I have been happy with the cakes we have gotten from Edible Art. (http://www.edibleartbakery.com/Default.aspx?tabid=37 - broken link) While they are relatively pricey compared to Costco or Kroger, they are quite tasty and there are several different choices available for flavor of the cake and filling. If you want robots, I am sure they could whip you up something with robots.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
This is a mom who is in my mommies group, and she does some amazing and yummy cakes.

Messy Chef Cakes

Leigh

Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 PM

133 posts, read 424,848 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Susie's sweet creations looks great. Will look at Messy chef cakes once their website is running and edible art.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times
Many people don't know this, but Whole Foods does custom cakes--and they are natural, even the colorings in the icings! We don't feed our children any artificial colors, so birthdays could be tricky....but WF does some gorgeous, gorgeous work and it's all natural--no petroleum in those cakes!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
As a kid I always looked forward to ice cream cake (i enjoyed the baskin-robbins ones but I heard Carvel are good too)!!! Goodberry's also has some custard pies that my friends have used for birthday events as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary