Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times

Advertisements

I am not sure what you call them, the thicket things that are usually from the floor of the deck/patio up to the pain 2x4 that is about 4-5 foot off the ground. We just want a simple treated wood, no woodworking needed. Just cutting them into the proper height sections. We already have the screened porch completely done, but we need to add these to prevent our cats from pushing on the screen and getting out (this screened porch is off our basement so at ground level). What do you think it would run for a 12x16 foot screened porch? It really is a minor job to be, that should easily be able to be done in less than a day, but I want to get a ballpark in my head before I get quotes. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:57 AM

449 posts, read 699,466 times
Default I'm looking for that too, but not right away

I recently learned the names of the parts myself

The top part is the handrail or something close to that... the vertical parts are balusters or spindles, defined as the thin posts that span the distance between the handrail and the floor (or bottom rail).

Hopefully there will be some recommendations in this thread, I'll be looking for them!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM

awesome, thanks!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Remember that the buiding codes require all railing gaps to be less than 4". While a ground level deck doesn't require a rail, once you install one I think you need to meet the 4" rule as its designed to prevent small heads getting stuck (among other things).

Frank

Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Anyway, we didn't pull a permit for framing/screening the porch since it was already a walkout patio, all we did was frame it in, screen it, and add a door.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Anyway, we didn't pull a permit for framing/screening the porch since it was already a walkout patio, all we did was frame it in, screen it, and add a door.
Did you add a roof?

Since you changed the structure of the patio, by adding framing and a door I think you still needed a permit.

A simple call will tell you if you need one. It isn't too late. I'd suggest you make that call.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary