Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM

120 posts, read 549,292 times

Advertisements

Are there any architectural salvage yards in the triangle for buying items to renovate an older home? Specifically, I'm interested in old fencing and porch railing...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Habitat for Humanity has a Re-use Center in Raleigh.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:16 AM

583 posts, read 2,802,793 times
Yes! The habitat store is wonderful! The secret is out, so you will have to shop often to get the good deals. You can even sign up for an 'early bird email' which will tell you what exciting new things came in during the week.

Store--> http://www.habitatwake.org/restore/shop.html

It's also a wonderful place to donate items when you're remodeling your home. They've built +300 homes in NC. I've not seen another habitat store of this caliber yet.

Or even if you're tearing down a home...you pay them a little to do the deconstructions, which is cheaper than typical contractors, and then you get a tax right off for the items donated to the store. Much less goes to the landfill for sure.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:37 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Default Shhhhhhh

Shhhh! Don't tell my husband that there are architectural savage companies in NC. I'm trying to convince him that in NC there is no way I could find the cool old windows and doors that I've converted into art and a garden trellis. WE MUST MAKE ROOM FOR THESE ON THE MOVING TRUCK! (Sorry... all caps was directed at hubby.)

Old 04-22-2007, 09:37 AM

906 posts, read 2,381,703 times
There are a few places that I know of:

There's a place off of Capital Blvd inside the beltline. It might be called Antiques and Imports. I've never been there but it looks interesting. Its in that really ugly, depressing industrial stretch of Capital.

A place that is now occupying the old garden shop that used to be at the State Farmer's Market. I don't remember what its called but it used to be located downtown on Davie St. They get all kinds of different arch salvage as well as new shipments of iron items from Mexico.

The Last Unicorn. Its been a while since we've been there so I don't remember exactly where it is--somewhere by Chapel Hill. Gaines Steer runs it on a large property in a wooded setting. You just walk around and check out all the stuff he has. He's got a lot of salvaged iron fencing and he has metalsmiths on staff that will create custom pieces for you out of the salvage pieces. They might also create new pieces. If I remember correctly, he's got very limited open hours and the rest are by appointment.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
Durham also has a Habitat shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary