Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 AM

502 posts, read 1,251,951 times

Advertisements

I agree with you Tootie the Brave: in theory it should not matter what events occurred in a property. However, this thread has shown that it apparently does matter to many posters/future buyers. I don't know if other states require such a disclosure, as again, in theory a murder/suicide should not financially detract from a property as a flood zone disclosure would for example.

We are in the market for a house right now, and like you mentioned, we are considering new construction. Don't know which would be worse: dealing with builders or "ghosts" potentially "living" in a resale.

Last edited by NCInMyMind; 07-31-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
I'd have to side with the posters who would walk away... Given that you'll be in it for the long haul, I'd rather not have any "surprises" along the way, if I could have avoided it in the beginning.

If you have 2 equally desirable houses to pick from and one of them disclosed some sort of "event" occurred there, wouldn't you pick the other one? It's all hypothetical, but that's what it comes down to in terms of resale doesn't it?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:04 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
In CA if the death occurred within 3 years it has to be disclosed. We bought a house from a woman's estate. She had recently passed in the house due to cancer. We purchased it to be a rental and did let the renter know the previous owner died in the house. Apparently, 2 of his young daughters saw "a woman" in their bedroom fairly often and they weren't aware of someone passing in the home. I'd purchase if it were a peaceful passing, but I'd get a weird feeling knowing someone was murdered or committed suicide in a home. I tend to get "feelings" about houses though and something about the master bedroom of our previous house never sat well with me once we moved in.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
This isn't the Amityville Horror here people. It's a home, and while I understand some people getting the heebie jeebies over someone offing themselves...while it's tragic, it does not deter from the value of a home IMO. People die...it happens. Does this mean that someone should be more open to purchasing a home is a life was brought into this world under the roof? I would think not so why the opposite?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 AM

232 posts, read 1,031,107 times
City Data forums are never boring! :-)

Old 07-31-2009, 08:23 AM

621 posts, read 2,219,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
This isn't the Amityville Horror here people. It's a home, and while I understand some people getting the heebie jeebies over someone offing themselves...
While that may be completely true, it's better that someone else confirms that's the case.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:49 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCInMyMind View Post
We are in the market for a house right now, and like you mentioned, we are considering new construction. Don't know which would be worse: dealing with builders or "ghosts" potentially "living" in a resale.
When I was a child my parents built a house in CT. The land that our neighborhood was built on had been sold after the original owner died never wanting it to be developed (this was in a very pricey NYC suburb so that was pretty unrealistic). There was also a fatal accident in the neighborhood involving one of the developers--I believe a descendant of John Deere--who died on some sort of a John Deere tractor. Anyway, I was told these two individuals haunted the neighborhood. My point is my parents had to deal with builders and ghosts! BTW, I personally don't worry about ghosts, but I don't think I'd want to buy a home where someone had recently committed suicide or been murdered.

Last edited by sls76; 07-31-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
while it's tragic, it does not deter from the value of a home IMO
Except for the fact that it can and (sometimes) does. Don't take my word for it though...do the research on this and look at the sales data on some homes that were sold in which a homicide took place there. Look at what the home sold for vs. the homes in the same area.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Except for the fact that it can and (sometimes) does. Don't take my word for it though...do the research on this and look at the sales data on some homes that were sold in which a homicide took place there. Look at what the home sold for vs. the homes in the same area.
The Peterson house was orignally listed for $1.175 million, but sold for $640,000 in July 2004.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
The Peterson house was orignally listed for $1.175 million, but sold for $640,000 in July 2004.
And before it hit the MLS they sold tickets for the public open house for ghoulish people.
Just to reduce the number of lookie-loos from otherwise pestering agents for free peeks.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-31-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary