Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 06:28 AM

13 posts, read 15,331 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to North Carolina and am torn between Charlotte and Raleigh, I am in the Financial Industry and I know that Charlotte is the second largest Financial Industry behind NYC but I know there are also opportunities in Raleigh. I am married with 2 small children and they are my main concern, I want to be in a family oriented atmosphere with an excellent education system. Please let me know if you feel Charlotte or Raleigh is the better fit.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:34 AM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,542 times
I'd apply for positions in each city and then go where I'm offered the best job. In other words, select a job before you select a city.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
They are both great, but I'd prefer Raleigh. I've lived extensively in both areas.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
And, FYI, there ARE other cities between those two...

Old 08-05-2009, 08:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,899,683 times
I am sure that both cities are great for children. I would look at both for the best job opportunity. I would limit my choices to Raleigh and Charlotte if you are sold on N.C. They are both thriving, family oriented cities under normal circumstances. For me, Raleigh is a bit too small. If you can, take a couple of weeks and visit both before deciding.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times
As you can imagine this is a popular topic. If you search this board, the NC board and the Triangle board you will find a lot of Charlotte vs Raleigh threads.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
As you can imagine this is a popular topic. If you search this board, the NC board and the Triangle board you will find a lot of Charlotte vs Raleigh threads.
Agree. Both are great areas with lots to offer. I would live either place - just depends on landing a job.

One really nice thing about Raleigh's location is its proximity to wonderful universities, wh/ is one reason I like the region.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:29 PM

87 posts, read 274,522 times
Eh, flip a coin. Can't go wrong either way. That's like the difference between a 9 and a 10 in a beauty contest. Would say Charlotte is the 10 in this case because I live here

Old 08-05-2009, 02:35 PM

198 posts, read 642,136 times
We also had to decide between Charlotte and Raleigh last year when my husband was offered jobs in both cities. We really loved Raleigh -- it has such character and a real southern vibe. Also, the public school system overall is better in Wake County. One major benefit of Charlotte is cheaper real estate. Also, if you're looking for a larger city, Charlotte would be your best bet (although this wasn't an issue for us).

As several other people have already recommended, let the job decide for you. Ultimately my husband's career prospects were better in Charlotte, so that's what we chose. I absolutely LOVE our house -- which we never could have afforded in Raleigh. We are very happy in Charlotte and fortunately it did not turn out to be too big a city for us.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary