Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 PM

11 posts, read 43,803 times

Advertisements

I've read a ton about how wonderful and safe Cary is. Then I was just reading (on this website) their 101 list for cities, and there are a TON of NC cities on the list for most burglaries. This concerns me greatly as we are getting ready to move there due to a job offer. I hope I hear some responses that will put my mind at ease. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 12:29 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,822,398 times
Cary is very safe, but I mean I don't think in this day and time you can leave doors/windows/cars unlocked or open. Most burglaries can be prevented by using common sense. You will be just fine. I've been here 26 years and never been robbed/burglarized.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,679 times
if cary is too scary and unsafe for you, i'd suggest finding a deserted island... ;-)

Old 08-08-2009, 09:15 AM

546 posts, read 1,678,456 times
Cary and the surrounding towns are as safe as you can get, but that doesnt mean it's crime free. There really is no such thing anymore. Like JQ stated, you really can not go around leaving cars and home doors unlocked anymore no matter where you live.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,501 times
Most of the crime in Cary is theft from UNLOCKED CARS & from open garages. Can't leave your IPOD sitting on the seat and your door unlocked.

So lock your doors, and don't leave your a garage door open all day and you'll be fine. Cary is as safe as it gets, imo.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:50 AM

646 posts, read 2,049,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeneecee View Post
I've read a ton about how wonderful and safe Cary is. Then I was just reading (on this website) their 101 list for cities, and there are a TON of NC cities on the list for most burglaries. This concerns me greatly as we are getting ready to move there due to a job offer. I hope I hear some responses that will put my mind at ease. Thanks!
LOL...it's very safe in this area...that is part of the problem with the burglaries (which, by the way, are a non-voilent crime).

People feel so safe they leave their cars and doors unlocked...and some unethical types are going to take advantage of that.

Really...yes, there is crime in the area....then then there is crime everywhere (and there always has been). However, if you are afraid of Cary....then...I don't know where else you could live on the planet.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times
I think some people are asking for trouble though, especially when they leave a GPS sitting in the window at night, hello, thats just advertising, radar detectors, ipods etc, all attract thieves. Just take them inside or at least take them out of the windshield so they don't get noticed as easy!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:24 AM

I asked what I think is a very fair question. I am moving from Michigan to a state I've never even been to. I see on this very web sites 101 listing that Cary is in the top 101 cities for burglary. My husband will travel a lot, and I have 2 small daughters. Safety is a concern of mine, as most people when looking for an area. I didn't ask if the city has ANY crime, or if I can leave my doors unlocked! I just was concerned about the 101 list! Thanks to those that left helpful responses.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-09-2009 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: Edited out the unnecessary parts, as I've deleted some of the earlier responses.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guccilittlepiggie View Post
if cary is too scary and unsafe for you, i'd suggest finding a deserted island... ;-)

yikes!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:52 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,986,229 times
And of course, Cary itself didn't make that list. Not even close.

Just about every city on that list is an urban center for its area, localities where crime is generally higher regardless of where you are in the country. As an affluent suburb of Raleigh (another city that didn't even make the list), Cary is among the safer places in the state, and in fact the country.

Cary ranked third-safest city in U.S. :: WRAL.com

Please don't extrapolate a few data points to the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary