Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:04 PM

76 posts, read 272,236 times

Advertisements

I have heard this term used several times - including while I have been searching apartments.

What exactly is this referring to? Is this a good area of Raleigh or is it too large of an area to determine that.

I am definitley finding out a lot of information about the small towns/cities outside of Raleigh but I am not sure exactly what areas of Raleigh are good or not?
Any Advice???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
"Inside the Beltline" (ITB) is an area inside of 440 that has homes that have been around for quite a while. This is the area that was the "wealthy" area of Raleigh for so many years.

If you are looking for a home in North Raleigh, that typically sells for $150 per square foot, and ITB home may sell for $300 per sq. ft.

Of course, there are SOME areas inside the beltline, close to downtown, that are not considered "ITB".

Hope this helps!

Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 05:51 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
there are SOME areas inside the beltline, close to downtown, that are not considered "ITB".
That's the first time I've heard this, that some places inside the beltline are indeed NOT inside the beltline.

Does it have to be a $300k+ house to get the hallowed ITB designation? Please explain...

Old 04-27-2007, 06:20 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Of course, there are SOME areas inside the beltline, close to downtown, that are not considered "ITB".
Whoa, I cry "foul" on this statement! All areas "Inside the Beltline" are indeed inside of I-440, and cannot be considered otherwise. It is merely a description of a physical location. I think what you really meant to say is that there are some areas inside the beltline that are going for far less than $300/sq ft. That is a good thing, because it means that Raleigh is a real city with diverse neighborhoods close to its city center, much like most other cities in the world. The day that all homes ITB become $300/sq ft will be a very sad day for the diversity of Raleigh.

To answer the OP's question, there are "good" and "not as good" areas Inside the Beltline, just as the same exists surrounding the city outside of 440, in that there are many upscale neighborhoods that a smaller percentage of the population will be able to afford, and there are contrasting lower-income areas as well. However, there is a bit more of a stark contrast ITB, because there is not really any middle-class housing available there - just one extreme to the other.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:32 AM

59 posts, read 203,854 times
^Agreed with above post. There are some absolutely beautiful homes ITB but they're $Texas. There are some really run down homes ITB that are not expensive; however, many of these are rentals.

People want to live ITB because of location. It's kind of in the heart of Raleigh, so many popular parts of the area are easily accessible.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:58 AM

648 posts, read 2,980,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
The day that all homes ITB become $300/sq ft will be a very sad day for the diversity of Raleigh.
This might happen one day, with all the house flipping and renovating going on. I've heard that ten years ago the Mordecai area was undesirable and actually somewhat dangerous. The city is renovating and building in the area just east of downtown. The area just west of the Dix property is now coveted by speculators. These were affordable areas for the lower class...

Old 04-27-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
That's the first time I've heard this, that some places inside the beltline are indeed NOT inside the beltline.

Does it have to be a $300k+ house to get the hallowed ITB designation? Please explain...
Lets see if I can explain this so that y'all understand:

Not all homes inside the beltline are considered to have the PRESTIGIOUS "ITB" designation.

Some things get lost in translation. And it is early for me.

If that doesn't clarify things...ask Mike...he is pretty good at 'splainin!

Vicki

Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 AM

161 posts, read 602,101 times
Literally speaking, “Inside the Beltline” merely means inside the loop created by Interstate 440, which encircles the older part of Raleigh. This is a large and diverse area including neighborhoods of grand multi-million dollar homes, neighborhoods of some of the most affordable houses in the city, and everything in between. Realtors often use the term “Inside the Beltline” to refer only to the wealthier parts of what is actually within the I-440 loop, and they use the term “Southeast Raleigh” to refer to the southeastern quadrant of the city, but about half of Southeast Raleigh is actually inside the beltline!

There may be a very small price premium on the areas Inside the Beltline because of the closeness to downtown and the colleges, but only a very few neighborhoods have houses selling for $300 a square foot, and this is because they are of very fine architecture and mature landscape. These are mostly in Hayes-Barton, Budleigh, the White Oak Road area and Cameron Park. And you can find houses in these neighborhoods selling for less as well.

But there are many affordable safe middle-class neighborhoods Inside the Beltline, including much of West Raleigh, Oakwood, Georgetown, Woodcrest, Longview Gardens, Belvidere Park, Mordecai, Boylan Heights, Caraleigh, and the neighborhoods near Athens Drive High School. Houses in these neighborhoods range from a high of $200 per square foot to below $100 for a fixer-upper.

The neighborhoods east of downtown are improving, but they will not become unaffordable any time soon. They are improving BECAUSE they are affordable and so much of Raleigh is not. They are and will remain diverse, and it is a good thing that they are becoming safer for the sake of the poorer folks as well as the middle-class folks who live there. We in Raleigh are very fortunate that we have no “horrible slums;” people of all incomes have safe and pleasant neighborhoods to live in. This is not due to good luck, but the dedication of the City government, working with the citizens.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:46 AM

198 posts, read 910,218 times
Simply put..I take ITB to mean "in the city" (within the city limits, 440 or whatever) and everything else to be "suburbia" ....similar to here in Indianapolis- outside of 465 are all suburban areas and towns and ITB would for us, within 465 (n, s, e and w parts of town, within the city limits). Am I right?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
Literally speaking, “Inside the Beltline” merely means inside the loop created by Interstate 440, which encircles the older part of Raleigh. This is a large and diverse area including neighborhoods of grand multi-million dollar homes, neighborhoods of some of the most affordable houses in the city, and everything in between. Realtors often use the term “Inside the Beltline” to refer only to the wealthier parts of what is actually within the I-440 loop, and they use the term “Southeast Raleigh” to refer to the southeastern quadrant of the city, but about half of Southeast Raleigh is actually inside the beltline!

There may be a very small price premium on the areas Inside the Beltline because of the closeness to downtown and the colleges, but only a very few neighborhoods have houses selling for $300 a square foot, and this is because they are of very fine architecture and mature landscape. These are mostly in Hayes-Barton, Budleigh, the White Oak Road area and Cameron Park. And you can find houses in these neighborhoods selling for less as well.

But there are many affordable safe middle-class neighborhoods Inside the Beltline, including much of West Raleigh, Oakwood, Georgetown, Woodcrest, Longview Gardens, Belvidere Park, Mordecai, Boylan Heights, Caraleigh, and the neighborhoods near Athens Drive High School. Houses in these neighborhoods range from a high of $200 per square foot to below $100 for a fixer-upper.

The neighborhoods east of downtown are improving, but they will not become unaffordable any time soon. They are improving BECAUSE they are affordable and so much of Raleigh is not. They are and will remain diverse, and it is a good thing that they are becoming safer for the sake of the poorer folks as well as the middle-class folks who live there. We in Raleigh are very fortunate that we have no “horrible slums;” people of all incomes have safe and pleasant neighborhoods to live in. This is not due to good luck, but the dedication of the City government, working with the citizens.
Yep...you explained it quite well. Thanks! Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary