Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2007, 02:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,419 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is moving to NC. We visited Wake Forest this past week. Beautiful area however the high school is very large. I have two children 14 and 16. We currently live in a small NY town with a high school of approximately 700 kids 9-12 grade! The realtor mentioned that Zebulon and Bunn might be areas to consider. Any information about this area? Are there things for the kids to do in these towns? The kids are at an age that makes it very difficult to move. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestercooks View Post
My husband's job is moving to NC. We visited Wake Forest this past week. Beautiful area however the high school is very large. I have two children 14 and 16. We currently live in a small NY town with a high school of approximately 700 kids 9-12 grade! The realtor mentioned that Zebulon and Bunn might be areas to consider. Any information about this area? Are there things for the kids to do in these towns? The kids are at an age that makes it very difficult to move. Any help would be appreciated.
Franklin County schools (Bunn) aren't considered as good as Wake County's.

What do your kids think about a larger school? When we moved down here my daughter's elementary school was twice as large as the high school in our town and almost 4 times as big as the school she was coming from and there really wasn't much adjustment.

There would be more for your kids to do in Wake Forest to be honest, but neither one of those towns are that far away if you don't mind driving.

Bunn High school is over 900 kids so it's larger then what you are used to anyway.

I don't know as much about Johnson County schools (which I think Zebulon is in), but it seems the high schools in that area are about the same size as Wake Forest. Big schools are just how it is down here.

Home prices are a bit cheaper in both those areas then Wake Forest though.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 11,419 times
Default Bunn High school

I actually have the wrong info. on the school my children attend. Actually there are only 561 students grades 6-12. (my son's 11th grade class has 80). Does anyone have an idea what towns attend the Bunn High school and if this area is growing in population? I really liked Wake Forest but was really intimidated by the school growth. Given the fact that I have teenagers, is the Bunn area still busy enough to give them something to do? Again, I guess we are hoping to locate in a town that has a nice community feel to it but is also growing. Thanks and any info will be appreciated. This move is happening rather quickly and I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around it! I am leaving a town that we have raised our kids in for the past 15 years and a job that I have been happy in for 9yrs. and moving to an area I know nothing about. SCARY!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:04 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestercooks View Post
I actually have the wrong info. on the school my children attend. Actually there are only 561 students grades 6-12. (my son's 11th grade class has 80). Does anyone have an idea what towns attend the Bunn High school and if this area is growing in population? I really liked Wake Forest but was really intimidated by the school growth. Given the fact that I have teenagers, is the Bunn area still busy enough to give them something to do? Again, I guess we are hoping to locate in a town that has a nice community feel to it but is also growing. Thanks and any info will be appreciated. This move is happening rather quickly and I am having a difficult time wrapping my mind around it! I am leaving a town that we have raised our kids in for the past 15 years and a job that I have been happy in for 9yrs. and moving to an area I know nothing about. SCARY!
You are not going to find a school that size near here....even in the most outlaying area. Most of the school districts are county wide. Small schools, even in small counties, just dont make sense.

I come from a small town as well, as yes, it is different (and a bit scary) but it's different, not bad or worse.

Yes, Bunn is growing....the whole area is growing as more people move in and push out the boundries. Franklin County is starting to see more and more growth (housing prices are still cheaper.) Most folks don't yet move there because their schools just don't yet offer as much as other areas.

Did you know that the Wake Forest area is getting a new high school in a few years (2009) that is going to ease up some of WF-R's crowding? But even that school is going to be larger then you are used to.

I don't want to say anything againest Bunn, t's a nice area from what I know and have seen of it, but if you are teens used to being involved in things other then school sports they offer, then no, probably there won't be much for them. If they aren't used to lots of options, they might not care as much.

As for what are Bunn draws from....well, there are only three high schools in Franklin County (Bunn, Franklinton and Louisburg) so it's going to be around 1/3 of the county. I can't find any maps on their web site, but I am sure if you called the school or the school board itself, they could tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary